Old 12-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Gene, you're on to something here! 1/2 tons really ARE better! Only wife and kids stay home....dog has to go with.
I hope your wife doesn't know about the Forum. Kids are more likely to know and blackmail you. Then wife and kids go and you and dog stay home.

Gene

Old 12-31-2010, 12:42 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I hope your wife doesn't know about the Forum. Kids are more likely to know and blackmail you. Then wife and kids go and you and dog stay home.

Gene

Shhhhhhh........be veweeeeewy quiet....

Just kidding. Kids are grown and gone. They meet us for camping sometimes, so it's really wifey, me and the dog. (She doesn't read the forums, but would expect nothing less from me anyway!)

Old 02-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #45
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
SRW: Many thanks for the pictures!

This is very appealing. I'll be anxious to hear how you like it.

I'm considering an install sometime in Q1, so we could use it when we get the AS out of storage and head to Utah in the spring.

It would be interesting to know the difference in weight between the stock set-up and the new Transferflow.
So far I can say that the tank is functioning perfectly. I have towed from Austin, TX to Weatherford, TX and returned without having to fill up, a distance pushing 400 miles. Maybe not as good as a diesel, but not bad for a gas burner not bad.

The analog fuel gauge works, but is not particularly accurate:

With the needle at the half mark it needed 16 gallons to fill (26 usable gallons remaining in the tank).

At the quarter mark it needed 27 gallons to fill (15 usable gallons remaining in the tank).

However, since I never checked the gauge's accuracy with the old OEM tank I can't say that the gauge is now any more or less accurate.

Maybe someone with a Tundra and OEM tank could comment?

The digital range indicator is of course not accurate at all since the "computer" has no idea that there is now a larger tank, and I doubt that there is anyway to reprogram for the larger capacity.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:32 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When the gauge says E there are 4-5 gallons. We've let it go well below E and always had at least 2 gallons. The OEM gauge and tank aren't particularly accurate—fill it to the gills and in 20 miles it will be more below F than seems proportionate. It drops fairly fast to 2/3, slowly down to 1/3, then speeds up again. It seems to hang around 1/2 for a long time. The readout that purports to tell how many miles are left gets to "O" before the needle gets to E and I know there are 5 gallons or conservatively, 50 miles left. I believe there is some adjustment in the gauge, so other Tundra gauges may be different.

Since Ford and Chevy have markedly increased the size of their tanks, I expect Toyota to do the same soon. Even better would be to increase gas mileage without sacrificing a lot of power. We may see the return of turbo's and surperchargers and hopefully they work better than they did in the '80's.

Gene