Old 12-27-2010, 09:23 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Since the new tank is steel and large, plus the extra gas, how much more weight will you add? This will have to be subtracted from payload.

Gene

Old 12-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
The 4" loss of clearance is not an issue, except:

We live in Williamson County. In TX, it is state law that a vehicle must have 4" clearance from the road at all points. Williamson County Police act like it's their favorite ticket to write. One of my acquaintances modified their truck for fuel efficiency by adding a skirt, and the three tickets they have been issued have more than undone the lifetime of savings he could have achieved.

As long as you have 4" clearance to the road, you're fine.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
langley , Washington
I had the tank installed at the factory in Chico about six months ago. I am pleased with the instalation, half a day while I waited. The range improvement is dramatic. A big help going to Burningman. Only two disadvantages, weight and loss of miles remaining calculation. The $150+ fill ups are painful. This and changing to towing mirrors have completed the truck.

Unsui
Old 12-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Gene,
Do you think the larger capacity tank would have made a difference in the logisitcs of your Alaska trip? Would you give up some payload in trade for the extra range?

I am interested in your opinion since you have a real-life experience traveling long distances in a remote region.

It seems like the extra range would be liberating.

Thanks,

Steamy1
Old 12-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I was just reading where the 2WD Tundra has 10" of ground clearance, although you should probably measure your truck to verify. It this is accurate, that would leave 6", probably sufficient, if you are not a serious off-roader.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:01 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
I was just reading where the 2WD Tundra has 10" of ground clearance, although you should probably measure your truck to verify. It this is accurate, that would leave 6", probably sufficient, if you are not a serious off-roader.
Or it snows and you may high center.

Gene
Old 12-28-2010, 11:14 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
Gene,
Do you think the larger capacity tank would have made a difference in the logisitcs of your Alaska trip? Would you give up some payload in trade for the extra range?

I am interested in your opinion since you have a real-life experience traveling long distances in a remote region.

It seems like the extra range would be liberating.

Thanks,

Steamy1
I would not want to give up much payload because a long trip means more stuff in the truck and trailer. I don't know how much added weight the larger tank might mean. If Toyota offers a larger tank, I assume they would make sure to not compromise payload as much as an after market tank, but that's just an assumption. The ground clearance concerns me on the after market tank as it's been known to snow in Colorado. The Tundra (and other Tundras, Tacoma and 4 Runners) are amazing in plowing through deep snow and I would not want to loose that ability.

We bring 2 5 gallon gas cans when we go to remote places, but you can always find gas somewhere, though you'll often pay very high prices. A copy of the Milepost helps a lot on an Alaska trip since you'll know where every gas station is. Hopefully they'll be open, and if they are not, then you can use the gas cans and that'll give you another 100 miles. While traveling, you'll probably hear about gas stations where they have especially rip off prices. I don't remember any situation where we drove more than 100-150 miles without a gas station, but we did try to avoid a few that we had heard about from other travelers and then we may have gone more than 200. There are some roads where gas stations may be more than 200 miles apart, but I can't recall having run into that recently. Our range was about 250 miles and sometimes we were down to about 2 gallons in the tank when we avoided extremely high prices (Toad River and Muncho Lake areas on the Alaska Hwy), but we had the gas cans as back up. Canadian gas is more expensive than in Alaska, so a few gas cans can save a few dollars.

Gene
Old 12-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #36
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
The install of the 46 gal. Transfer Fuel replacement tank for my 2007 Tundra went smooth and very quick, taking about 3.5 hours with one mechanic full time and one part time.

Attached are the only three photos I shot because I was pretty much not allowed to be in the work space.

Its very apparent how large the new tank is in comparison with the OEM tank. Thats the OEM tank to the right of the new tank in the top left photo.

The new tank is mounted parallel to the drive shaft and in fact does not decrease ground clearance since the drive shaft connecting to the differential is actually lower then the bottom of the new tank.

Yes, the OEM stone guard no longer fits and was discarded.

The gas gauge is working and Transfer Fuel provides a small table that shows how much fuel is actually in the tank at the different position of the gauge. The digital readout indicating miles to empty is no longer accurate. Possibly it can be recalibrated, but I doubt it.

My apologies for the lack of photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1228100939.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	118169   Click image for larger version

Name:	1228101106.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	118170  

Click image for larger version

Name:	1228101106a.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	118171  
Old 12-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
SRW, thanks for the photos. I have been curious about the TransferFlow tank since it first came out for the Tundra. We had a 50 gallon bed tank on our old Chevy pickup, so I thought we needed a larger tank on the new Tundra. However, apparently not, since we haven't run short of fuel in the past two years and many highway miles towing. Also, now that we have generators and a portable tank for them, we have some extra fuel in case we get caught between gas stations.

In any case, please keep us informed on how the new tank affects your range. With the new generators, we may be doing more boondocking, and farther off the beaten path.

==========

As an aside, just a guesstimate, but the larger fuel tank (with extra fuel) probably didn't add more than 150-200 pounds over the full OEM tank. I wouldn't think this would affect your load much, unless you are right at the max at fully loaded weight (including truck bed contents and tongue weight).
Old 12-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
SRW: Many thanks for the pictures!

This is very appealing. I'll be anxious to hear how you like it.

I'm considering an install sometime in Q1, so we could use it when we get the AS out of storage and head to Utah in the spring.

It would be interesting to know the difference in weight between the stock set-up and the new Transferflow.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:07 PM   #39
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
My preference in re fuel capacity is to be able to do what I consider a "maximum effort" day, roughly 600-miles. Any range in excess of 500 miles at 60 mph is to the good, in other words. On my truck, with the '34 Silver Streak, the range was 450-550 miles depending on the usual road, load, speed and weather.

Having the luxury of traveling a full, very long day, and not having to refill until early the next day was a feature of the big trucks I drove. Pretty well filled up daily (170-180 gallons), but it was certainly great to be able to stretch just that little bit when trip-planned.

Plus, one does not need to fill the tank fully unless one desires it (given records and understanding of use); more than once I was just above 80k and had to only give the tanks a drink every now and then so as to be able to cross the state scales legally. Same is true for towing an RV when GVWR or GCWR is being approached:

A pile of scale tickets is my friend.

I'd start by weighing truck with driver and full fuel some time prior to installing a new, larger tank. And then immediately weigh it after installation. Knowing how the weight falls on both axle sets is handy.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:17 PM   #40
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
46 Gal Tank Weight

The Transfer Fuel 46 gal tank weighs about 148 lb. empty. Full-up with 46 gal. of gasoline (@ 6 lb. per gallon) the weight is 424 lb.

The OEM tank weighs 50 lb +/- (est. provided by Toyota) and full with 26 gal. of gasoline the weight is 206 lb.
Old 12-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Thanks for the weight information SRW. Given that the payload on a 1/2 ton truck isn't all that great, that's significant. Payload varies a lot depending on the model—Crew Cab, Double cab or standard cab, 4WD or not, options, but at 1,500 lbs., that's a 14.5% reduction. The 218 lbs. added weight means leaving the kids and/or dogs at home.

Gene
Old 12-30-2010, 05:33 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Gene, you're on to something here! 1/2 tons really ARE better! Only wife and kids stay home....dog has to go with.