Old 09-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
As far as I know, they both had the same rear end housing....the GM 8 bolt.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #16
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Is this the TV for the new 25' Eddie Bauer (GVWR 7.3k)? I see from that other thread that the inaugural trip is but a few weeks away.

You may have already covered or be intimately familiar with the following. If not, then once done you'll appreciate the very significant difference made as to hitch rigging.

Truck specs (GAWR, GVWR)?

Hitch brand and model?

Certified scale weight on empty & loaded TV already in place?

TW of empty trailer (full fresh water & propane)?

Dealers are sloppy on this, in general.

A bit of preliminary work and then going across a CAT Scale will dial in the combination as to the WDH.

There's a difference between fairly-good and finger-tip. A big one.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Just to Clarify...

... you are a victim of the EPA and GM's attempt to increase their fleet MPG averages.

You have a 5.3 L with a 3.08 RA. Your towing capacity is 5100, not 7400.

I made the same, sad discovery when I purchased my 2009 Suburban.

I sure wish Congress would quit trying to design cars. They have ruined the venerable Suburban.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:15 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
... you are a victim of the EPA and GM's attempt to increase their fleet MPG averages.

You have a 5.3 L with a 3.08 RA. Your towing capacity is 5100, not 7400.

I made the same, sad discovery when I purchased my 2009 Suburban.

I sure wish Congress would quit trying to design cars. They have ruined the venerable Suburban.
Yeah, I may very well be upgrading to 3.73 gearing once I've taken it for a few trips. The owners manual is very interesting on the subject of towing capacities for the various equipment options. The. 3.08 is rated at 5000 and the 3.42 w/ HD cooling package is rated at 7900. The really interesting thing is that the 3.42 w/o the cooling package is only rated at 5400 (I didn't even know that you could get it that way, but it's in the manual anyway).

I am NOT saying that the information above supports the inference that a 3.08 w/transmission cooler will be able to comfortably tow 7400 but it does seem that way. In any event, I've towed a SOB that was 6000 dry and the transmission fluid never got over 200 degrees.

I imagine that I, like many others on here, will end up making some TV adjustments in order to support the AS habit.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Wow, now that's what I call cross referencing! These threads are in totally different forums!

I'll try to answer as best I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
Is this the TV for the new 25' Eddie Bauer (GVWR 7.3k)? I see from that other thread that the inaugural trip is but a few weeks away.

You may have already covered or be intimately familiar with the following. If not, then once done you'll appreciate the very significant difference made as to hitch rigging.

Truck specs (GAWR, GVWR)?
Rear: 4200lbs
Front: 3600lbs
GVRW: 7400lbs

Quote:
Hitch brand and model?
Equi-l-izer (for now) because the dealer is throwing it in.

Quote:
Certified scale weight on empty & loaded TV already in place?
No

Quote:
TW of empty trailer (full fresh water & propane)?
6055... that's with LP and a full fresh tank

Quote:
Dealers are sloppy on this, in general.

A bit of preliminary work and then going across a CAT Scale will dial in the combination as to the WDH.

There's a difference between fairly-good and finger-tip. A big one.
There is a CAT scale near my house and I plan on figuring out when a good time to go would be so that I can go get it all dialed in.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
I think that's when I'd be scouring breaker yards for an 07 with the ratio you want that had front end damage, and buy the complete axle.

Luckily, my FX4 has the perfect ratio and HD tow package. I made it a buying requirement or I knew I'd be going through this
Next time. Honestly, we've only had the Suburban for 18 months but when we bought it we had no idea that we would be buying an Airstream a year and a half later. We just rented SOB trailers several times last, and then this, summer and kind of fell in love with the aluminum and.... well you know how it goes.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
As far as I know, they both had the same rear end housing....the GM 8 bolt.
Does that make it easier to swap the internals for a 3.42 or 3.73 gearing?
Old 09-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by phbarnhart View Post
Does that make it easier to swap the internals for a 3.42 or 3.73 gearing?
Sorry, I made an error, it is the GM 10 bolt (Ford had a small 8" rearend), but yes, with factory gears you can go down to 3.73, the dealer will install it, do all the computer programming, and warranty it, but it won't be cheap. The last time I priced a gear change at a dealer, they were quoting $2500.

Or, you can go to an independent shop, pay less, and take your chances.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Swapping 3.08 to 3.73 Not Worth the Money

A 3.73 behind a 5.3L still isn't that great.
You may be trying to turn an apple into an orange, something I've tried many times (aftermarket AC, aftermarket cruise control, etc.)

The only modification that makes a 3.73 a good choice for towing is a 6.6 Duramax in front of it (Or an 8.1L gasoline)
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Mesquite , Texas
Like any other half ton, the first thing you are probably going to run into is the max payload on the 'burb. I used to tow an '08 27FB with a Tahoe. I could easily stay under the axle weights, the GCVW and the rated towing capacity. Staying under max payload was the issue. I could do it, but I really had to pay close attention to what we put in the trailer and where we put it. We had to be especially careful with what we put in the Tahoe. Anything more than people would usually push us right to the limit.

If you have the TV and the trailer already, go to the scale and see what the weights look like. Dial it in and optimize the weight distribution. Once that is done, make absolutely sure that you know where you are with respect to all stated capacities on the TV and trailer.

Wayne
Old 09-04-2011, 11:29 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Sorry, I made an error, it is the GM 10 bolt (Ford had a small 8" rearend), but yes, with factory gears you can go down to 3.73, the dealer will install it, do all the computer programming, and warranty it, but it won't be cheap. The last time I priced a gear change at a dealer, they were quoting $2500.

Or, you can go to an independent shop, pay less, and take your chances.
Good to know what I might be looking at for the swap. I'm thinking that maintaining the rest of my 5 year power train warranty might make it worth it. Also, we have a pretty decent Chevy dealer in town that I don't mind supporting... well, to a point.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:31 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner61 View Post
Like any other half ton, the first thing you are probably going to run into is the max payload on the 'burb. I used to tow an '08 27FB with a Tahoe. I could easily stay under the axle weights, the GCVW and the rated towing capacity. Staying under max payload was the issue. I could do it, but I really had to pay close attention to what we put in the trailer and where we put it. We had to be especially careful with what we put in the Tahoe. Anything more than people would usually push us right to the limit.

If you have the TV and the trailer already, go to the scale and see what the weights look like. Dial it in and optimize the weight distribution. Once that is done, make absolutely sure that you know where you are with respect to all stated capacities on the TV and trailer.

Wayne
Good advice and kind of what I thought that I was going to be doing anyway. For the most part, our dogs occupy the rear cargo area of the Suburban on long trips with a trailer and the stuff goes in the thing getting dragged behind us. I guess what you're saying is that I probably shouldn't get that canoe to go on the roof of the sub'.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:31 PM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Prior to taking the trailer with you to a CAT Scale some preliminary work can be done that will help in the initial scale work:

Intro to A/S WDH

Deciphering Scale Numbers Formula

1] Need weight of TV with only driver & full fuel, each axle; plus published shipping weight. The latter gives the Towing Guide the context.

If the truck is "shipped" at 5,890-lbs, but a scale weight of 6,420 is seen with the driver/fuel/options, then the tow guide numbers are modified to reflect this; that is, the total trailer weight declines (dependent on TW to a degree).

2] Need tongue weight of trailer, preferably loaded and empty.
(How was the 6,055-lb of trailer arrived at? Axles?. The TW can be measured -- with full fresh water and propane -- as in this link.)

Tongue weight is expected to be 10-15% of trailer combined axle weight; thus, on a 7,300-lb trailer where a long-term trip load factor of .92 is seen, the trailer [now at 6,716 -- with a 12.5% TW of 840-lbs] the load one can carry in the Suburban is limited by the final adjustment number of the TW [around 75%, or, 630-lbs].

3] 2011 Chev Tow Guide sez 8,500-lbs with 3.42 and 5.3. (You don't need the deeper gears as much as may be thought above. A six-speed tranny is a long way from the old three/four speeds where extra dig was required, although you may in the future choose to. Instead it may be that LT tires are a better choice if not so equipped, where a shorter, stiffer sidewall with an increase in load capacity [up to that of the wheel] may serve as a shorter rear gear.)

I did not see in an initial search the Tow Guide for Suburbans where details are given on the how-to's of WDH set-up and adjustment. If that can be found, and the above ship weight & empty weight of the TV is measured, and any numbers off the trailer are derived, this will speed up the initial adjustments (for which you will be thankful, IMO).

This link shows Equalizer instructions, specifically on A/S. The guide uses wheelwell height measurements which are "gross", versus weight scale which are "fine". As the EQ allows for some FA weight to be decreased, but the generic formula calls for all weight returned to the FA when hitched, then there is some room to play with adjustments. Thus the desire to have all other weights previous to scale work.

Sad that an A/S dealer stocks Equalizer. It is second place on the second tier list of trailer hitches; or, about the fourth most desirable (above the unacceptable fifth choice which is third tier). It's apparent simplicity is it's virtue.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:31 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
So all of the weights that I have come up with are from literature (internet, owners manual, etc) so I know that I'm going to have to get busy with the scales.

Thanks for the links! This forum is a wonderful wealth of information and I'm sure that I'll be here often for answers.

This particular AS dealer sells lots of other brands as well so It's not shocking that they sell some cheap hitches. The bottom line is that they're basically giving me the Equalizer because I told them that I wouldn't buy the trailer without a distribution hitch that was really easy to use. There is a great hitch only place in town that will very likely be installing a Hensley or a ProPride eventually.

Heck, I may be upgrading to a 3/4 ton or the gearing on the 1/2 ton, right now I just want to get it set up correctly and get out there!!!!

EDITED: I have already swapped the tires for XL rated Nokians with a 117 load index.

Tags
1/2 ton