Old 10-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
F150 Colorado Towing Experience

Back in 2010 we pulled our 25 foot Safari to Durango Colorado and while Durango is in the mountains it is hardly the highest or steepest climb to get there. We hit the grades and climbed but early on the truck belched and we started smelling some pretty foul exhaust and I noticed a big puff of black exhaust. The truck never died but we did lose power. We climbed up at 25 to 30 miles per hour, otherwise everything seemed to be alright although the dreaded check engine "idiot" light came on. Got to our camp and set up and then we headed into town and located the Ford dealer. They had a hard time finding what was wrong but after about a half day of diagnostics they elimated everything else and discovered it was a sensor that is part of the emission control system. The service writer said on checkout that it occurs with a lot of travelers to the area and that they always kept a quantity of said replacements and $180.00 later the idiot light is off and we are feeling better. In the same campground was another Airstream so we went over and introduced ourselves and they turned out to be a British couple who were traveling/touring the United States in a 28 foot Classic with two big dogs, pulling all with a 2006 Ford F150 with the 4.8 liter engine. They had already been to Silverton and had pulled the rig up the Million Dollar highway and were anxious to do so again. Anyone who has done this can appreciate the incredible hairpin turns and steep grades from Durango to Silverton. I'm certain that I must have said something like, "you have got to be kidding!" He was as serious as he could be. As for me, I did the Million Dollar highway and just drove it in the truck but can't tell you anything other than how nice the yellow stripe was and how I kept wanting to drive next to the mountain wall. I guess it's truly all about the torque and nerves...and foolishness.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
My 2010 F150 Super crew 4x4 5.4 v8 5.5ft box pulled my 28ft CCD with ease but when I investigated and found I was over the load limits posted by the mfg on the door by the engineers that designed it.I knew I had to make a change.
Traded for a F350 Super crew 4x4 6.7 turbo diesel 8ft box no matter what anyone says there is no comparison in any respect. None.
The F150 is a great vehicle and has its purpose but is not meant to tow and haul my size trailer and my gear and passengers safely according to the people who designed,engineered and built it..A smaller Airstream and less gear and passengers and a F150 is fine.

I am not a gambler with my families safety or my own.

"A man has to know his limitations"

Old 10-03-2012, 02:07 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Looked at the sticker on my Ford 150. It gives a GAW for the front and rear axle as expected. But directly below that it says "with" and lists the tire size and wheel number. Does that mean if I switch to heavier tires and wheels the GAW on the sticker may not still be the limiting factory? Maybe heavier wheels and tires and maybe airbags would be a solution?

I do not really care. I tow with a 2500 and am under the limits. Towed a little with the 150 when I first got the trailer. I still drive it empty. When we bought a truck for the trailer I went with a 2500. I have seen both 2500's and 3500's overloaded with Airstream and other payload several times.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
I believe it is more complicated as all parts involved have their own weight ratings.
The tires you have now will have a max weight rating printed on the sidewall close to the rim bead.I know the 20 inch tires OEM Pirrelli Scorpions are rated for 2403 lbs each or 9612 Max which in most cases is more than adequate as most F150's have a 7200lbs GVWR .Your wheels will have the weight rating stamped inside

The F150 HD payload package increases GVWR to 8200 with
1.LT245/75/R17 E tires
2.High capacity 17 Aluminum wheels (Increased to 7 Lugs)
3.HD shocks
4.Upgraded springs,radiator and aux trans cooler
5.Larger 9 3/4 gearset w/373 limited slip axel (Different Rear end assembly)
Old 10-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Woof,

I guess you figured out by now your questions will get you more opinions than you can haul in your truck.

Next time you hook up you could go down to the Flying J on TC-1 Exit 388 / 386, not to far from you. According to their website they have a certified scale. Pull on the scale and weigh. Then disconnect the spring bars on the WD and ask for a re-weigh. This will let you know exactly where you stand and give you the opportunity to tweak the WD. I did this last week near where I live and it cost me $10 for first and $2 for re-weighs.

If you have never been to the scales, you can learn about the process at the website below.
How To Weigh | CAT Scale

Safe travels!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:56 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
It is simply bogus to advise anyone their family will be be suddenly "safe" by getting a heavier duty truck.
doug k
Doug,
I think if you re-read my post you will see that I did not advise anyone. I stated my experience and what I did base on my experience.
I did urge everyone to be cautious.
I did not mean to offend, sorry if I did.
Alan
Old 10-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
I believe it is more complicated as all parts involved have their own weight ratings.
The tires you have now will have a max weight rating printed on the sidewall close to the rim bead.
Exactly Moflash. When I first got my used AS it needed tires. I researched and decided to go with Tomax. I was going to get the E rated tire instead of the D rated one just for extra margin of load rating. When calling around for pricing one dealer mentioned that I better check the rating of the wheels before I did so since the psi on a E tire was much higher. When I contacted Airstream I was told that the wheels were designed for a psi rating matching only D rated tires. So you are correct, each element in the mix has a rating. The F150 comes in several flavors too. Ford rates my specific truck/engine/axle for 14900 GVWR with a maximum trailer weight of 9500 lbs. BUT when I mention to others that it has a 4.6 liter 3 valve engine, I am always told it is not enough truck or power. I have a 25' Safari with a GVWR of 7000 lbs. and tongue weight of 860 by the book. The payload rating is 1548 lbs on the door. The CAT scale weights indicate a truck that weighs almost exactly what Ford says it should, a tongue weight of 920 (add 60lbs to for the hitch head and that is what you get) so figures match the specifications and leave about 650 for payload on my F150 w/o heavy duty payload option. That fits my needs but someone with four people and two giant dogs - No, BUT Ford DOES make an F150 (at least in '09) that had a payload with up to 800 lbs more than mine equipped with a 5.4L, 3.73 and heavy payload package. An '09 5.4L with a 3.73 crew cab 4x4 would give you about 2300lbs of payload -835TW would be about 1495lbs for people, dogs and truck stuff.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Check your sticker. Your truck, if it has the tow package in that configuration should have a payload rating of 1760lbs or so according to Ford's F150 towing guide for that year. BUT a non-tow package model would be around what you are saying. If it is 1300 or so then check the axle code on the door and also for a tranny cooler. If they are not present, then someone may have just added a hitch to the truck.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Sorry I made a mistake on my post #63 - the axle ratio really only increases towing capacity not payload capacity; however, check your door as I mentioned in post #64. The Ford payload rating I posted is from their materials.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Hi rodsterinfl,

My truck does have the tow package, it came with the tranny cooler and the trailer brake control on the dash, but not the heavy duty payload package. The sticker on the door says not to exceed 1368 lbs. So even though the truck is ok to tow a trailer that weighs over 9000lbs it must have a low tongue weight in order to be able to carry the passengers and some things in the back like bikes, a genny, or what have you.
I took 1368 less 840(not incl hitch)less 750. I went to the scales and would be within limits if not for that sticker- I think.
The tires are 18" goodyear wranglers max load of 2600 lbs each.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Hey Woof. What is so perplexing about your truck is the fact that the Ford 2010 payload on your truck config says 1760 lbs. That is not the heavy duty payload package. Something is different. That is why I mentioned that you might check the original window sticker configuration online with the VIN number. As I mentioned before. I have the same model of truck only a 2009 but with a 4.6 liter HO 3V w/tow package. We have the same rear axle and transmission. According to my model year and your model year towing guide, with your larger engine, you should have a greater payload capacity than me, not less. Do you have dual gas tanks? Ford counts fuel weight perhaps that might be it.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #68
2 Rivet Member

rodsterinfl,

You understand my frustrations. I have had several conversations with Ford customer relations about the payload specifically. According to my vin number, they say the payload is 1560lbs(no, I do not have dual gas tanks). But when I mention the discrepancy between what the brochure says, the 1560 number they quote and the fact that the sticker on my truck says 1368 for tire capacity (yes, it really does say 1368lbs) , their research department advises that to be safe you must go by what the sticker says.
I have written a letter to Ford expressing my feelings about the poor training their sales people have when it comes to advising their customers about which product would best suit their needs. Like that is going to do me any good now.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #69
Rivet Master

Springfield , Missouri
Went through this same thing with my F150.They can pull they just cant haul much weight and passengers.Max payload package option helps but dealers do not order this option due to lack of product knowledge.So there are very few in stock.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
One thing I found woof that is different about your truck is the wheels. The heavy payload package and the regular tow package use the machined 17" wheels. The 18" wheels for the XLT options have different packages in 2010. Check that out in the brochure. That one factor, while you may have tires rated at 2600 may not match wheel specs and thus a lower payload rating. There are ways around this - adding springs to the back, different wheels, etc. We have a place called Florida Spring and Axle. You probably have something similar. Check to see if you have the upgraded axle. Is your 3.55 limited slip? They have two different 3.55 units. Look up your window sticker at Ford using your VIN and interpret the package. One thing that is notable is that XLT models seem to have the higher standard payloads because they do not have fancy looks wheels, etc. If for example, your wheels are from an STX looks package, they could be lowering the payload and created the lower capacity sticker regardless of tires being load carriers. There are 3 leaf spring plates under my truck with an axle 5935A and I believe axle X or 9 inch axle. Yes, it is frustrating.

Oh, Moflash, When I started shopping for a truck I began with Dodge as they were having this big sale. Well, their payloads were really low. I had to go with the Hemi and up the $$$ scale to get something that pulled. I ended up with Ford. To be fair, I was shopping dealership's used stuff after the initial Dodge new truck venture. I am happy with Ford. I understand that GM and Ford are working together on a 10 speed tranny. Ford already announced the 700lb lighter prototype F150 so MPG will increase in the near future.