Old 09-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I have a 2009 F150 with the exact same figures - towing pkg, 3.55 rear, etc.and the same numbers on the hitch you mention. It means tongue weight WITH a weight distributing hitch as 1050 lbs. Check the side on the driver door for you total cargo weight. Subtract the trailer tongue weight from that and you have the remaining cargo weight for everything in the bed and inside when you travel. I have a 25' with an 860 lb tongue weight and the truck does very well at pulling it. My door limit is 1580 lbs. I believe you will be over with that much load. Is there anything you can put in the trailer?

Old 09-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
By way of cat scale I am, with hitch weight and full LP tanks 920 lbs at hitch with a WD hitch. For me, that leaves 660 lbs for payload, cargo and people in/on the truck.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Similar Tow Vehicle and Voice of Experience

Your truck will pull it, though it will be hard on it. I would go with a smaller trailer or a larger engine, different model truck as it sounds you will not only be on the fringe of excess...you will certainly go over it. Now for my reasoning which is unscientific. I bought the 2006 Ford F150 with the tow package and a 3.73 with the 5.4 engine and it's rated for 11,000 pounds. We have pulled a 2006, 7,000 pound 25 foot Safari all over and most of the time I have wished for more power. Wife doesn't trust the truck anymore, and we certainly won't be heading for the hills or mountains until we get the next tow vehicle which will be horsepower/pulling power overkill plus and a diesel as well.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

I want to thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. I really appreciate all the input. When we bought the truck(new from Ford) we specifically mentioned that it was going to be used to pull a 27fb and gave them all the specs. We were told over and over again "yes, no problem!!!!". It was our first trailer experience. I'm sure we were extremely over our limits since we were full timing in it! We now live in the interior of BC and to go anywhere from here requires crossing very steep mountain ranges.

I only discovered the airforums after we had already purchased the truck and trailer.
Reading posts about everything under the sun has been very enlightening. I only wish I new then what I know now!

This week we took our truck to the local dealership and again we were told it was fine and the sticker with the cargo limit was "irrelevant". We went to local sob rv dealerships and they want to sell you the moon, "your truck is fine". We even went to the local highway scales, had the truck weighed and told them what we were planning to buy. They have no clue what they are talking about. They said the 840lbs tongue really only puts about 200lbs of weight on your tv. So you can see the confusion new folks encounter and what an important service the Airforums provide!

I'm not sure where to go from here as a new truck is not in the cards right now.

Thanks again!
Old 09-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #33
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
I want to thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. I really appreciate all the input. When we bought the truck(new from Ford) we specifically mentioned that it was going to be used to pull a 27fb and gave them all the specs. We were told over and over again "yes, no problem!!!!". It was our first trailer experience. I'm sure we were extremely over our limits since we were full timing in it! We now live in the interior of BC and to go anywhere from here requires crossing very steep mountain ranges.

I only discovered the airforums after we had already purchased the truck and trailer.
Reading posts about everything under the sun has been very enlightening. I only wish I new then what I know now!

This week we took our truck to the local dealership and again we were told it was fine and the sticker with the cargo limit was "irrelevant". We went to local sob rv dealerships and they want to sell you the moon, "your truck is fine". We even went to the local highway scales, had the truck weighed and told them what we were planning to buy. They have no clue what they are talking about. They said the 840lbs tongue really only puts about 200lbs of weight on your tv. So you can see the confusion new folks encounter and what an important service the Airforums provide!

I'm not sure where to go from here as a new truck is not in the cards right now.

Thanks again!
Seems facts mean nothing or... caveat emptor. Again, bottom line is pay attention to what the manufacturer says because legally, that is the standard you’re held to in the event an “accident” happens. That’s why they call them... accidents.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #34
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof

Thanks again!
Woof,

There are reams of discussions on this forum regarding this topic as I am sure you are finding out. I pull a 27FB with an '09 F150 that has considerably less payload capacity than yours, which is in my opinion due to the fancy OEM tires and suspension. I have since upgraded both. My cargo load of passengers of the human and canine persuasion are similar to yours plus the prodigious amount of paraphernalia that comes with them. I would like more engine power at times, but do not have any concerns over control or braking.

Suggest you educate yourself to the full extent possible and make your own mind up. Good luck with your choices and hopefully welcome to Airstreaming. (Just don't read the threads on corrosion right away...!)

Don
Old 09-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Don,

I have read those corrosion threads and must be a sucker for punishment! But there is nothing more beautiful than an Airstream on the road off to another great adventure.

By the way how did you upgrade your truck and what is your payload capacity?
Old 09-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #36
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof
Don,

I have read those corrosion threads and must be a sucker for punishment! But there is nothing more beautiful than an Airstream on the road off to another great adventure.

By the way how did you upgrade your truck and what is your payload capacity?
I removed the Pirelli Scorpion tires and replaced with 10-ply load range E Michelin ATX-2's. I believe the stock tires are the single biggest factor in the payload difference between different trim levels of the same F150. My payload sticker, which is the one with the tire info on it, indicates the combined weight of cargo and passengers must not exceed 878 lbs. This truck must be the model for a ranch owner and his dog to drive around in. A city slicker with three friends and golf clubs comes seriously close to overloading it.

As to the axel ratings, there is not much I could do there short of major replacements or buying a new truck. I replaced the standard overload blocks with a set of Timbren SES ones which are a little taller. This doesn't alter my axel rating but it does take some of the springiness out of the truck-trailer when it travels over dips in the highway.

Finally I took a few suggestions from Andy at Inland RV to reduce the size of my spring bars and pull more links up on my Reese Straight-Line hitch. Had to adjust the hitch height and the cam arm length with that one. This made a difference at the scales.

Not my ideal towing arrangement but I have noticed an improvement. I am still at or near my axel limits even with this (as verified by trips to the scales) but I have other plans for money than a new pick-up at the moment. The Ford will just have to suffer it out.

With respect to corrosion - if you buy make sure the unit comes from the factory with the new gasket plate between the running lights and the skin. The fix for mine is a set of castings to go between the running lights and skin. Haven't put them on yet but when I do I will post the results, including the instructions supplied by Airstream, on the corrosion thread on this forum.

Don
Old 10-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by woof View Post
I have a 2010 F150 5.4L with tow package, rated to tow 9600lbs
its a super crew short box, 145" wheel base with a 3.55 axel ratio
the max tongue weight is 1050lbs.

I will have 4 passengers and two large dogs inside weighing in at 750lbs.

I am looking at the 2013 25FB flying cloud which has a tongue weight of 837lbs and max gross weight of 7300lbs.

Does a hitch weight of 837 on the trailer mean you are putting 837lbs on your truck? I have read so many treads and everyone always says to "watch that payload". There is a sticker on the door of the truck that says "the total weight
of passengers and cargo should not exceed 1368lbs".

How does a weight distributing hitch effect the payload number?

I know the truck can pull it, I just need to know if the family can come too?
It's hard to work without "real numbers" (those obtained from a weighing on a certified scale). That some combinations may be close is not a concern (so long as axle and tire ratings are respected), but how satisfied some will be with it is another. The sheeple are afraid of climbing a long mountain pass at under 50-mph. Don't be. Not if the TV [tow vehicle] is otherwise a good choice. A trailer with excellent brakes, and a rig with a top hitch, can do quite well.

This thread goes part way into a setup where scale number are used. The best setups use real numbers (not fender height measurements which are prone to variations) to dial in a combination.

Step One is to take the TV to a certifed scale and get the weights, with:

a] full fuel
b] driver
c] items that are permanently in the TV

This is the "solo/unladen" value (the adjusted empty weight). The published empty weight must be adjusted to the real empty weight. A published payload is reduced by the amount of the difference between published and real.

With this, one can make better guesses about what TT will work.

For some SWAG, use 82% of TT GVWR and estimate TW at 13%. Not perfect, but a range that is workable. The WDH may split the TW between the TV & TT as 60-40 to 75-25. The TW leveraged by the WDH on the TV is spread between the two axles of that vehicle, with most of it still on the RA, overall.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
20 in Pirrelli Scorpions are rated for 2403 lbs each so changing tires to increase payload gain is negligible.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
The sheeple are afraid of climbing a long mountain pass at under 50-mph. Don't be.
I like that and agree completely.
After all tractor trailers are the best towing rigs on the road and if you can keep up with them why complain?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
After all tractor trailers are the best towing rigs on the road and if you can keep up with them why complain?
Wazbro

I agree with you although I would like to be able to go just a little faster than the tractor trailer rigs just to stay out of their way and be able to be just a little ahead of them.

Dan
Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
They have no clue what they are talking about. They said the 840lbs tongue really only puts about 200lbs of weight on your tv.
So true. I have to say also that even at RV stores I have gotten hogwash. I have to tell you though that the tongue weight does not change really no matter what you do. Also, after spending 4 hours playing with adjustments on my own WD hitch I have learned that there is only so much adjustment there too. I got an RV Handbook for free at CmgWrld and it talks about this but what it states on this subject is not accurate either. It is impossible. You are not that far off. Oh, and know this that Ford weighs their trucks with a full tank. I verified this. Look for a lighter hitch design, etc. there are some adjustments you can make. The 1050 lbs for the receiver though is accurate.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:09 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
There is a sticker on the door of the truck that says "the total weight
of passengers and cargo should not exceed 1368lbs".
check your sticker again. Also, look up your truck's build data using its VIN# on Ford's site. Is yours a 4X drive?. Check for the beefed up axle code too. You are within the tow rating for sure aside from the payload issue.