Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
2009 VW Routan SE to tow Bambi II?

Just looking to gather opinions on whether a 2009 VW Routan SE would be sensible to tow a 1964 Bambi II (1950 lbs. dry)? We are currently planning on using the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee for the towing job after installation of an oil and trans cooler, but a very nice Routan showed up for sale in our town for a reasonable price and we are interested. The van would be nicer for our growing family.

Some specs:
  • Maximum towing capacity: 3500 lbs.**
  • Maximum payload: 1200 lbs.**
  • Gross weight: 5707 lbs.
I know Ace is towing his Caravel with a Grand Voyager...I think the Routan would do the job if we pack lightly. Any thoughts out there as we are considering this option?

Thanks-

Ben
Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
The van is already set up with a 2" receiver and a 7 prong plug...I am guessing it has other tow mods as well...
Old 07-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
Just looking to gather opinions on whether a 2009 VW Routan SE would be sensible to tow a 1964 Bambi II (1950 lbs. dry)? We are currently planning on using the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee for the towing job after installation of an oil and trans cooler, but a very nice Routan showed up for sale in our town for a reasonable price and we are interested. The van would be nicer for our growing family.

Some specs:
  • Maximum towing capacity: 3500 lbs.**
  • Maximum payload: 1200 lbs.**
  • Gross weight: 5707 lbs.
I know Ace is towing his Caravel with a Grand Voyager...I think the Routan would do the job if we pack lightly. Any thoughts out there as we are considering this option?

Thanks-

Ben
Hey Ben

I love my Grand Caravan. It rides so nice and gets great MPG. I see Andy T likes them too.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post739744

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post742916

Ace in PA
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:02 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Eugene , Oregon
Sounds like that van would work well for your purposes. You should make sure that it's got a transmission cooler and brake controller (but you probably know that). The comparison to the Grand Caravan is pretty appropriate because they're, mechanically, the same thing (but you probably know that, too).
phbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Minivans make great tow vehicles, despite what some of the traditionalists might tell you. They're relatively wide, low and long and today's engines provide good power and adequate torque. Set them up correctly with oil coolers, brake controllers, weight distribution and sway control and you not only have a very effective tow vehicle but also one that when not towing (which is most of the time) will return a sensible gas mileage.

With the addition of a modified hitch receiver, our 2011 Toyota Sienna does a great job with a much heavier trailer than the Bambi II, so I think the Routan will work for you.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote