Old 11-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Mountain view , Arkansas
I will have to say I do believe the thought about driver ability. I am a retired firefighter engineer. I drove a tiller truck for most of my career. We had the tiller truck overloaded for its capacity. It struggled to get up to speed but with caution always made it to the destination without issue.

I do like the idea of this ProPride hitch, it does look very stable.

If the math adds up the trailer looks very promising. I will try and find out the exact tongue weight. If that is the largest concern, I think we might have a new giant trailer coming home.

Thanks again for all the help. Any other thoughts are very much appreciated.

Justin

Old 11-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Justin, Even though I said I wouldn't do it, if I were you, already had the truck, and wanted the trailer, I suggest you give it a try.

As Doug has said, the calculations and discussions of what is enough truck, and what is not enough will go on forever.

I can tell you that I progressed from a 23', to a 25' wide body, to a 28' WB, and now a 31' WB, and I started this with a 1/2 ton GMC. Towed the 23' and the 25' WB with the 1/2 ton. For the 25', the 1/2 ton that I had was marginal, but it was an '07 with the four speed transmission, and I know the later models with the six speed transmissions do much better.

Anyway, about half way thru the ownership of the 25' I traded the 1/2 ton gas truck for a 3/4 ton Diesel, and I haven't looked back.

For drivability, convience, and cost, I wish I could tow my trailer with a 1/2 ton truck, but do not believe I'd be satisfied. I know I could do it, but.....

Old 11-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I tow a 2013 Classic 30 with a 2007 Tundra 5.7. It does a great job. My Crewmax tow capacity is about 10,400. Your Doublecab tow capacity should be about 10,600. I don't think you will ever have any trouble. A few years ago I tried to buy a 34' Excella. I was planning to tow it with my Tundra. The owner of the 34 towed it with a Lincoln Navigator. I use the "original Equal-I-zer 4 point anti sway hitch and I love it for ease of hookup and not much noise.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I think you can tow a lot of the larger trailers with a 1/2 ton truck. Some of them have giant engines and look pretty tough.

But—wear and tear can take a toll on the suspension, brakes, driveline. You may not see it for years and maybe never because you'll sell the truck to someone else. Would you buy a used truck from someone with a really heavy trailer in his driveway?

I haven't looked carefully at the 34' weights—been on the road—but look carefully at all the things posted here and make sure you feel right about it. We probably won't see a major redesign of the Tundra until 2014, it appears, and maybe that one will the one to wait for while you tow with the '08. Certainly I wouldn't buy a new truck now because I am hoping to see much better gas mileage in the next few years on all full sized trucks.

Gene
Old 11-17-2012, 05:44 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I think you can tow a lot of the larger trailers with a 1/2 ton truck. Some of them have giant engines and look pretty tough.

Butówear and tear can take a toll on the suspension, brakes, driveline. You may not see it for years and maybe never because you'll sell the truck to someone else. Would you buy a used truck from someone with a really heavy trailer in his driveway?

Gene
Gene,

There's no question in my mind you can pull larger trailers with a 1/2 ton truck, shoot they pull them in Canada with minivans, but my position is: Will you enjoy it, or will it be a nail biting experience? Will it be a relaxed trip, or an "on the edge of the seat" trip. And then, with what margin of safety?

My personal opinion is I don't want to make trailering a job, I want to keep it a pleasurable experience.

Just my thoughts, and I'm certain others have differences.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Can't argue with that Steve.

I think some people always find trailering a job regardless of what they tow with, and some people think it is no sweat even with a terrible combination of truck, hitch and trailer. That accounts for some of the discourse on these things.

I also think towing is different and harder than driving a sports car or a plush SUV or sedan. There more to think about (visibility to the rear is not as good, acceleration is slower, corners can be difficult, you may find yourself on the wrong road to nowhere and a dead end, etc., etc.). But you want to reduce stress as much as possible. A wife (or husband or dog) who drives helps a lot.

Gene
Old 11-17-2012, 07:50 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Gene,

There's no question in my mind you can pull larger trailers with a 1/2 ton truck, shoot they pull them in Canada with minivans, but my position is: Will you enjoy it, or will it be a nail biting experience? Will it be a relaxed trip, or an "on the edge of the seat" trip. And then, with what margin of safety?

My personal opinion is I don't want to make trailering a job, I want to keep it a pleasurable experience.

Just my thoughts, and I'm certain others have differences.
You bet they do.

I have had no power, braking, nor handling deficiencies with our 1/2 ton 5.7 Ram. Certainly anything but "nail biting" or non-pleasurable.

You ought to tow with one of these newer 1/2 tons with plenty of power, big brakes, multi-speed transmissions, and electronic trailer sway control before making that assessment.

And when you are not hooked up (most of the time), the half-ton is an even more pleasurable driving experience.

Enjoy your big diesel, that's okay. But there are other excellent tow vehicles to do the job without loss of fingernails.

doug k
Old 11-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Doug,

If I towed and owned a 25' Airstream, I would do it with a late model 1/2 ton pickup.

Regards,
Steve
Old 11-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Well, we're making some headway here.

doug k
Old 11-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
The OP is considering a 34' trailer, and I own a 31' trailer.

Regards,
Steve
Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Cool.

doug k
Old 11-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I tow a 1982 34' with a V10 excursion 4x4. The 34 can be a beast sometimes, but I find it tows very well with the 3/4 ton. I personally would not tow my rig with a half ton.
As mentioned earlier, I would have concerns not with power but with wear and tear on the running gear. That weight is a lot of stress, can a transmission/ rear end of a smaller TV consistently perform with that load?
I just got my ex out of the transmission shop with a complete overhaul. I had an interesting conversation with the mechanic regarding the chewed up tranny parts. It seems every "link in the chain" is not as robust as you would assume it to be...and this is the heavy duty 3/4 ton. Fortunately, we were able to upgrade many of the parts in the rebuild.
Just food for thought....
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Towing our 30 with the Tundra is a pleasure. It is easy most of the time. One hand on the wheel and leaning on the console. I do still have to pay attention in strong crosswinds.