Old 04-30-2008, 09:08 AM   #113
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thanks for the links and great information 2Air. I read the information in both and followed links on the pages linked and all references were to 4X4's with two-piece drive shafts. I take it that means that the 4X2's like mine are not included in the recall at this time.

Also, you mentioned that the 30 gallon tanks are already available. I bought mine in December and it is the 156" short bed crew cab and has a slightly less than 30 gallon tank (29 point something gallons). While it currently takes $100+/fill up each week, I wish it had a larger, or even dual tanks, on trips. Towing, I can go about 300 miles before I am down to single digits on the "miles to empty" read out. Not a comfortable feeling on unfamiliar roads and not sure where the next station with 15 PPM ULSD. There are still a number of stations in the south that haven't switched. I can't imagine having a smaller tank.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:52 AM   #114
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
ok pretty funny, no sooner than i mention the fuel tank,

and the nhtsa issues a recall TODAY related to these tanks...

apparently this affects ~65,000 250/350 4x4 156 inch trucks (short beds, crew cabs) with srw...

during a 30 mph frontal crash the tanks can slide forward, leak and go boom.

the fix is a retention strap across the front of the tank...

owners of current short bed crew cab 4x4s can read about it online...

details, details, details...

2air'
Finally - I was looking for something formal about this after I went to the dealer on the 17th and was told I could only drive 3 of the trucks they had on the lot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
...Went to the dealer and was told they were issued a immediate service bulletin that Ford told them do not let any Fords in certain VIN# ranges to be driven, as a recall/modification had to be done to some bracket near the fuel tank.

Out of the 40+ trucks they had, only 3 could be test driven, all the rest had to have the fix/recall done...

It's weird how the sales person seemed to have no knowledge if it was a safety issue. I specifically asked her this as I thought it was strange that they could not be even driven, even on the lot....hmmmm

At least the tailpipe ain't throwing flames no more...

Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
Finally - I was looking for something formal about this after I went to the dealer on the 17th and was told I could only drive 3 of the trucks they had on the lot...

It's weird how the sales person seemed to have no knowledge if it was a safety issue. I specifically asked her this as I thought it was strange that they could not be even driven, even on the lot....hmmmm

At least the tailpipe ain't throwing flames no more...
Hi, Bambi_Bandit. If the recall has to do with the fuel tank, you can count on it being a safety recall. And if Ford says don't drive them until the recall is done, then they can be fined big time for violating this. Usually a Ford recall would be numbered something like this: 08S214 (08) would be the year of issue, not necessarily the year of the vehicle. (S) means safety. And (214) is the number of recalls to date for the given year, for all Ford products.
Note: this is just an example.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:08 PM   #116
_

. , .
very close robert, but why am i not surprised...

here is the text cut from the nhtsa site...

Recall Number: 08V191000
Summary:
FORD IS RECALLING 64,754 MY 2008 F-250 AND F-350 SINGLE REAR WHEEL, 4X4, 156 INCH WHEEL BASE PICK UP TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH A TWO PIECE DRIVE SHAFT FOR FAILING TO CONFORM TO THE FUEL SPILLAGE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 301, "FUEL SYSTEM INTEGRITY." DURING A 30 MPH FRONTAL IMPACT INTO A RIGID BARRIER, THE FUEL TANK CAN MOVE FORWARD AND CONTACT A FRAME CROSS MEMBER, POTENTIALLY CAUSING DAMAGE TO THE FUEL DELIVERY MODULE WHICH CAN RESULT IN FUEL SPILLAGE.

Consequence:
FUEL SPILLAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A BRACKET ON THE AFFECTED VEHICLES FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE MAY 26, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.

Notes:
FORD RECALL NO. 08C04. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

i kept the truck overnight, since the dealership was closed by the time i got the message...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #117
_

. , .
hey bob...

here is a question for ya...

brake fluid? does ford NOT have a schedule for flushing and fresh brake fluid?

twice now i've asked dealer service shops (2 different ones) to change the brake fluid...

my truck is 3 years old.

both shops have explained that there is no recommendation (or need) to change the ford oem fluid.

so it's only done IF there is a leak in the system or the brakes aren't working properly...

i looked at the service/maintenance guide and brake fluid isn't on it, only pads and rotors.

i've always done the 'every 2 years' thing with brake fluid, has this gone the way of the '3,000 mile oil change'..?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:42 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, 2air. Why? Why? Why? It's sometimes a big mistery as to why at Ford we did a brake flush only if the customer requested or if we had test strips showing that the fluid needs to be replaced. But since some items are not in the maintainence books, people think the big dealer is ripping them off. Our Infinti dealer does flushes all the time. [Nissan thing] And on another note: BMW does not show tire rotation anywhere in their maintainence books. [X3] We have a lot of tire noise with our BMW mostly due to lack of rotation. I rotated them myself anyway; By time they are square again [flat] they will most likely need to be replaced. And I will live with that tire noise until I get my money's worth out of those tires. Back to your question; I think it's a sales pitch to show how little maintainence a new vehicle needs, therefore saving the buyer money. [B.S.]

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-02-2008, 12:56 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, recall numbers: 08V19000 is a nhtsa # and 08C04 is the Ford #, but I don't know why it has the letter "C" in it. The only letter that Ford explained to us was the "S". Sounds like a safety concern to me.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #120
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Speaking of safety issues, I just got this from Good Sam:

"ODI has received consumer complaints of severe suspension and steering wheel shimmy and oscillations commencing after the subject vehicles traveled over an uneven road surface. A majority of these incidents occurred at speeds of 50 MPH or greater. Some of the complaints allege loss of steering control and that the vehicle changed driving lanes uncontrollably. Other complaints allege that the vehicle left the road surface as a result of the violent suspension and steering wheel oscillations. Additional factors contributing to the opening of this notice were early warning field reports, submitted by Ford, describing suspension shimmy/oscillations and a Ford TSB describing the issue and how to repair the problem. An engineering analysis is warranted to determine if the shimmy condition that occurs on the subject vehicles creates a condition where the vehicle becomes difficult to control or startles the driver, thus presenting a safety risk."

This only pertains to '05-'07 model F-250 Superduty trucks.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #121
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
This only pertains to '05-'07 model F-250 Superduty trucks.
covered here...

6.0 PowerStroke bulletins

cheers
2air'

Old 05-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #122
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
details-details

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
covered here...

6.0 PowerStroke bulletins

cheers
2air'
WOW...now I understand why Ford couldn't get my 05 PSD to work, they had too many items to cover. My truck would have made a great "training" vehicle for new Ford techs since it had many of the descibed issues in the bulletins. Amazingly, even with a clouded reputation, when I sold it, it had a high resale value, about 68% after 3 years.

Always great info 2air, thanks

time
Old 09-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
on the previouse page it showed in the pdf a rear passanger A/C vent by your feet??? I could just see one of my kids stepping in doggy dodo
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:24 AM   #124
4 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
I have found a 2008 with the 6.4 (49K miles) that I am interested in. The dealer has been very upfront with the two recalls as noted within the thread relative to this model year. I'd like to get a little feedback from those with experience; should I stay away from this truck/model year/engine, or will it serve me well as a more capable tow vehicle. FWIIW, this vehicle will also have to serve as a primary commute vehicle (60 miles per day).

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 10-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #125
_

. , .
hi chris

u might wanna PM some of the guys earlier in this thread that have been driving then awhile

(minnie, dpan, or the pill)

these are good trucks.

but your question will no doubt attract the anti-oval crowd.

keep in mind the 6.4 is really a continuation of the 6.0...

but with many modifications leading to the newer version.

this was also the FIRST of the units with DPF and REgeneration.

my 6.4 is doing fine and the 6.0 before that did great towing too.

plenty of power, quiet, clean and easier to service than the 6.0

NO DEF (urea) so maintenance cost is a bit less than the new 6.7

the MAIN issue with the 6.4 if fuel economy.

IF u can keep yer foot out of the turbo/boost the mpg will be better,

but it will still be 2-3 mpg LESS than the new/6.7 and less than a 6.0
_________

with lots of commuter miles the DEF/REgeneration should happen less often

than a truck which idles a bunch or puts around town.

so ONE thing to check is the engine hours vs miles.

IF the truck has a LOT of hours but lower mileage it will take a bit of driving to clean it out.

when REgeneration is happening mpg goes down because EXTRA fuel is used in the heat/burn/clean process.

the tranny is very good, brakes are very good and the body, interior and electronics good.

i like the ride quality and it's much smoother than the 99-07 250s.

the built in brake controller, mirrors, tow/haul and other TOW READY features are great.
________

my suggestion is keep it over night for an extended test

and find a LEAST one other used 6.4 for comparison test drives ...

along with the recalls, the dealer should be able to print out ALL of the dealer service history.

while the coolant is good for 100k, i would ask 4 a coolant flush, tranny service, rear diff change and fresh oil.

fresh lubricants are essential and they will never be less expensive than right now at dealer costs.

NEW TIRES is another request item.

one can tell a lot by looking INSIDE the engine bay, it should not be dirty, oily or mucked up.

nothing wrong with a truck that's been used and seen hard work,

but dirty, smelly or subtle signs of abuse should be avoided.

at ~50k miles it's just broken in.
________

don't forget the pictures!

cheers
2air'