Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #101
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
That last link indicated that Ford will extend the chin spoiler 3.93 inches. If that will increase fuel economy on my F-250 with 3.73 rear end, could I order a new longer chin spoiler and get better MPG's? Would it be worth it to do so? I know that last one would be price dependent and the first question would be if Ford would sell it to me for my current '08 model, but I can always ask the dealer I guess.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:20 PM   #102
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Nice Summary

Here's a nice summary of the changes in 2008, pages 11-32 Super Duty Trucks...

2009's are now right around the corner.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf whatsnew2008.pdf (2.15 MB, 105 views)
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:48 PM   #103
_

. , .
hi bandit...

that pdf file IS a nice detailing of the NEW features for 08 including vans and rv chassis as well at the f-250-450 series.

here are a few things NOT covered, that are changes between 07 and 08 and that weren't in my first post....

-lariats used to include an alloy wheel for the spare, the 08s it's steel...

unless you order a 5th wheel and pay extra for it.

-the dash now has an ASH TRAY instead of the small driver side glove box...

i use that box for every daily need.

the ash tray is so crappy that pulling it open a few times result in breaking the attachments...

-rear seats no longer FOLD FLAT.

the seat backs used to fold perfectly flat, on the new models they remain tilted at about 15 degrees toward the rear...

-there is now a shoulder harness for the rear center seat position.

-the front wheel well now has a fiber liner, previous models were open under there, so crap collected IN the chrome front bumper...

-they added a small piece of rubber trim between the front/rear door edges...

this is supposed to reduce cabin noise...

-the windshield washer jets are now mounted/drilled into the hood, not located back by the wipers as in previous models...

that means IF there is any ice/snow on the hood, no washer functions...

i spoke with a dealer this week after taking an 08 home for 48 hour test drive....

he had 40 '08s on the lot (that he really wants to sell), but suggested the 09 is "worth waiting for"...

he said they'd know the details of all the upgrades and changes in about 2-3 weeks...

and suggested i wait on ordering until they can run the 09s on the computer...

still the discounts RIGHT NOW are 5,000 on 08s.

the f-350 lariat i took home was very very nice.

cheers
2air'

and what's gonna happen to your excursion?

now that's it's tricked out and mod'd someone is gonna get a great vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
...could I order a new longer chin spoiler and get better MPG's?...
'mate...

the 08s already come with 2 different front spoilers, one is about 2 inches and the other about 4...

IF the goal is to improve mpg via aerodynamics there are some good 'how to' articles online by ford guys who have do all the details...

-lower the truck
-cover the wheels
-change tires
-attach a underbelly fascia
-change mirrors
-change wipers
-modify lower fascia
-cover the bed
-at a tapered tail

and so on...

i suspect the deeper 'chin spoiler' on the current trucks is to INCREASE air turbulence behind it and into the engine bay, for improved cooling...

since these new trucks run much hotter than pre-ulsd technology.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #104

Currently Looking...
Washington , Missouri
the new mounted grill is a pain in the head if you must work on one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! be ready for a lot of down time if it breaks!!!!!!!!!!!
slkjriechers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 09:17 PM   #105
_

. , .
the grill goes UP with the hood, and allows better access to the 7 radiators and cooling units...

how is that an issue unless one hits their head on the raised grill?

also there is now a step-up on the front bumper which improves getting up there to work...

"down time" if what breaks?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:24 PM   #106

Currently Looking...
Washington , Missouri
if what breaks ????????????? most any thing in the eng. compartment. as far as the grill try and do any thing under the hood . rest asure , you will not like the grill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
slkjriechers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:02 AM   #107
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
There are a few things I miss from my '05 like the driver's side glove box. I kept my sun glasses, my parking deck entrance card, and my wireless blue tooth cell phone head set in mine. I use the ash tray in my '08 to keep the blue tooth and keep the other items in the larger console. I also miss the arm rest on the captain's chairs. The center console on the '08 is large enough to use as an arm rest, but I still miss the one that was mounted to the captain's chair. I also miss the engine brake. I know the '08 has one, but for some reason it never engages. I used to feel the engine brake engage in tow/haul when towing and exiting the interstate or going down an incline or whatever, but it never seems to engage on this '08 model when it is in the tow/haul mode.

The biggest things I like are the ride and the new front seats. The reason I traded was that the seats and ride of the '05 had begun to irritate a back injury I have so severely that I was having to undergo physical therapy. The new seats fit my back perfectly and the ride is much softer and smoother than the '05. The engine is also much quieter as well.

The improved ride more than makes up for the short comings of the '08 in my opinion.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 04-28-2008, 10:36 AM   #108
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The deeper spoiler is worth a shot. We replaced the shortie on my Dad's '87 V8-454 Suburban with a deeper one and believe it may have helped pull more air through the heat exchangers up front. More mileage, I wouldn't know, but that truck is still in the hands of the third owners on the original engine after 200,000 miles. Cost us about $20 ten years ago.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:52 AM   #109
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
'08 Ford F250 front spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX
The deeper spoiler is worth a shot. We replaced the shortie on my Dad's '87 V8-454 Suburban with a deeper one and believe it may have helped pull more air through the heat exchangers up front. More mileage, I wouldn't know, but that truck is still in the hands of the third owners on the original engine after 200,000 miles. Cost us about $20 ten years ago.
I was just in my local Ford dealership scheduling a maintenance appointment for the recent safety bulletin to fix a weld in the front driver's seat and asked about this specific item.

They were not aware that Ford's newer built Superdutys have this. Anyway they gave me a price for the item of around $83.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:46 PM   #110
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi bandit...

he had 40 '08s on the lot (that he really wants to sell), but suggested the 09 is "worth waiting for"...

he said they'd know the details of all the upgrades and changes in about 2-3 weeks...

and suggested i wait on ordering until they can run the 09s on the computer...

still the discounts RIGHT NOW are 5,000 on 08s.

the f-350 lariat i took home was very very nice.

cheers
2air'

and what's gonna happen to your excursion?

now that's it's tricked out and mod'd someone is gonna get a great vehicle.

cheers
2air'
Hi 2air,

I'm still sitting on the fence now, but from what I hear on the other forums 09 rumor mill, I may just wait for an 09 instead of the 08. Maybe a Job 2 or Job 3 version instead of the first 09s from Job 1.

I'm not even sure the 6 speed tranny will come out soon - if it does, It may be with the new 6.7 Ford scorpion diesel in 2010... Who knows...

Spied: Ford tests 'Scorpion' 6.7-liter V8 diesel

The Excursion is treating me fine - only had an alternator go out on me in New Mexico on the the way to the Gila Cliff Dwellings. She still got be back to Silver City to get a new (remanufactured) one at the Ford dealer there...

I just need a larger bed, open for more gear. Prim and I are taking more and more trips that are more off the beaten path... Generator, water, firewood, spare parts, tools, spare propane, all fill up an Excursion quick.

She has 67K miles on her now (the Excursion, not Prim) , and I have a 100K ESP warranty on her. Only had to use that 3 times so far - electronic climate control, some front end part that I cannot remember, and the alternator. No oil leaks, no turbo issues - nothing (knock on wood), but I am religious preventive maintenance and oil changes.

I plan to keep her till 100K, which at the 20-25K per year I put on her now will be pretty soon, hence the early shopping.
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 04-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #111
_

. , .
the truck is getting her lubricants and sieves changed...

so i'm driving another 08 lariat, white, f-350, 4x4, short bed, psd, at and with most of the bells and si-reens...

this one has the 3.55 rear and the deeeeeeper front air dam, it's about 6 inches,

so no need to wait on 09s for those 2 items, lets see what really is coming next...

and short beds can now be had with a 30 gallon fuel tank too...

even with 11,700 lb rating, short bed and the camper package, the suspension is MUCH smoother than the last generation....

there are only 4 problems...

-i can't smell the diesel
-there is no noise at idle
-where is my puff of soot during throttle down!
-the ride feels way to much like a car...

cheers
2air'

Old 04-29-2008, 07:21 PM   #112
_

. , .
Quote:
and short beds can now be had with a 30 gallon fuel tank too...
ok pretty funny, no sooner than i mention the fuel tank,

and the nhtsa issues a recall TODAY related to these tanks...

apparently this affects ~65,000 250/350 4x4 156 inch trucks (short beds, crew cabs) with srw...

during a 30 mph frontal crash the tanks can slide forward, leak and go boom.

the fix is a retention strap across the front of the tank...

owners of current short bed crew cab 4x4s can read about it online...

details, details, details...

the recall number is 080C04 and since it was issued TODAY, isn't in their data base yet.

but look under "recalls since yesterday" and it is there, just below an actibrake recall (not on airstreams) also just issued.

ODI - Office of Defects Investigation

cheers
2air'

Old 04-30-2008, 08:08 AM   #113
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thanks for the links and great information 2Air. I read the information in both and followed links on the pages linked and all references were to 4X4's with two-piece drive shafts. I take it that means that the 4X2's like mine are not included in the recall at this time.

Also, you mentioned that the 30 gallon tanks are already available. I bought mine in December and it is the 156" short bed crew cab and has a slightly less than 30 gallon tank (29 point something gallons). While it currently takes $100+/fill up each week, I wish it had a larger, or even dual tanks, on trips. Towing, I can go about 300 miles before I am down to single digits on the "miles to empty" read out. Not a comfortable feeling on unfamiliar roads and not sure where the next station with 15 PPM ULSD. There are still a number of stations in the south that haven't switched. I can't imagine having a smaller tank.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 04-30-2008, 08:52 AM   #114
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
ok pretty funny, no sooner than i mention the fuel tank,

and the nhtsa issues a recall TODAY related to these tanks...

apparently this affects ~65,000 250/350 4x4 156 inch trucks (short beds, crew cabs) with srw...

during a 30 mph frontal crash the tanks can slide forward, leak and go boom.

the fix is a retention strap across the front of the tank...

owners of current short bed crew cab 4x4s can read about it online...

details, details, details...

2air'
Finally - I was looking for something formal about this after I went to the dealer on the 17th and was told I could only drive 3 of the trucks they had on the lot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
...Went to the dealer and was told they were issued a immediate service bulletin that Ford told them do not let any Fords in certain VIN# ranges to be driven, as a recall/modification had to be done to some bracket near the fuel tank.

Out of the 40+ trucks they had, only 3 could be test driven, all the rest had to have the fix/recall done...

It's weird how the sales person seemed to have no knowledge if it was a safety issue. I specifically asked her this as I thought it was strange that they could not be even driven, even on the lot....hmmmm

At least the tailpipe ain't throwing flames no more...
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

Old 05-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #115
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
Finally - I was looking for something formal about this after I went to the dealer on the 17th and was told I could only drive 3 of the trucks they had on the lot...

It's weird how the sales person seemed to have no knowledge if it was a safety issue. I specifically asked her this as I thought it was strange that they could not be even driven, even on the lot....hmmmm

At least the tailpipe ain't throwing flames no more...
Hi, Bambi_Bandit. If the recall has to do with the fuel tank, you can count on it being a safety recall. And if Ford says don't drive them until the recall is done, then they can be fined big time for violating this. Usually a Ford recall would be numbered something like this: 08S214 (08) would be the year of issue, not necessarily the year of the vehicle. (S) means safety. And (214) is the number of recalls to date for the given year, for all Ford products.
Note: this is just an example.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #116
_

. , .
very close robert, but why am i not surprised...

here is the text cut from the nhtsa site...

Recall Number: 08V191000
Summary:
FORD IS RECALLING 64,754 MY 2008 F-250 AND F-350 SINGLE REAR WHEEL, 4X4, 156 INCH WHEEL BASE PICK UP TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH A TWO PIECE DRIVE SHAFT FOR FAILING TO CONFORM TO THE FUEL SPILLAGE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 301, "FUEL SYSTEM INTEGRITY." DURING A 30 MPH FRONTAL IMPACT INTO A RIGID BARRIER, THE FUEL TANK CAN MOVE FORWARD AND CONTACT A FRAME CROSS MEMBER, POTENTIALLY CAUSING DAMAGE TO THE FUEL DELIVERY MODULE WHICH CAN RESULT IN FUEL SPILLAGE.

Consequence:
FUEL SPILLAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSTALL A BRACKET ON THE AFFECTED VEHICLES FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE MAY 26, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.

Notes:
FORD RECALL NO. 08C04. CUSTOMERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO http://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

i kept the truck overnight, since the dealership was closed by the time i got the message...

cheers
2air'

Old 05-01-2008, 09:17 PM   #117
_

. , .
hey bob...

here is a question for ya...

brake fluid? does ford NOT have a schedule for flushing and fresh brake fluid?

twice now i've asked dealer service shops (2 different ones) to change the brake fluid...

my truck is 3 years old.

both shops have explained that there is no recommendation (or need) to change the ford oem fluid.

so it's only done IF there is a leak in the system or the brakes aren't working properly...

i looked at the service/maintenance guide and brake fluid isn't on it, only pads and rotors.

i've always done the 'every 2 years' thing with brake fluid, has this gone the way of the '3,000 mile oil change'..?

cheers
2air'

Old 05-01-2008, 11:42 PM   #118
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, 2air. Why? Why? Why? It's sometimes a big mistery as to why at Ford we did a brake flush only if the customer requested or if we had test strips showing that the fluid needs to be replaced. But since some items are not in the maintainence books, people think the big dealer is ripping them off. Our Infinti dealer does flushes all the time. [Nissan thing] And on another note: BMW does not show tire rotation anywhere in their maintainence books. [X3] We have a lot of tire noise with our BMW mostly due to lack of rotation. I rotated them myself anyway; By time they are square again [flat] they will most likely need to be replaced. And I will live with that tire noise until I get my money's worth out of those tires. Back to your question; I think it's a sales pitch to show how little maintainence a new vehicle needs, therefore saving the buyer money. [B.S.]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-01-2008, 11:56 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, recall numbers: 08V19000 is a nhtsa # and 08C04 is the Ford #, but I don't know why it has the letter "C" in it. The only letter that Ford explained to us was the "S". Sounds like a safety concern to me.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-02-2008, 09:48 AM   #120
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Speaking of safety issues, I just got this from Good Sam:

"ODI has received consumer complaints of severe suspension and steering wheel shimmy and oscillations commencing after the subject vehicles traveled over an uneven road surface. A majority of these incidents occurred at speeds of 50 MPH or greater. Some of the complaints allege loss of steering control and that the vehicle changed driving lanes uncontrollably. Other complaints allege that the vehicle left the road surface as a result of the violent suspension and steering wheel oscillations. Additional factors contributing to the opening of this notice were early warning field reports, submitted by Ford, describing suspension shimmy/oscillations and a Ford TSB describing the issue and how to repair the problem. An engineering analysis is warranted to determine if the shimmy condition that occurs on the subject vehicles creates a condition where the vehicle becomes difficult to control or startles the driver, thus presenting a safety risk."

This only pertains to '05-'07 model F-250 Superduty trucks.
WBCCI# 4821