Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #81
LJH
Rivet Master

1985 27' Sovereign
Defiance , Ohio
Yes, 2airishuman is correct, pop off the body, work on the mill. LJH
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 08:22 PM   #82
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
So, search and ye shall find. This is an excerpt of an article on the web

And talking about the Super Duty, in the you learn something new everyday category, last week someone told me about a repair on a 2008 model, to fix an exhaust leak at the twin turbo unit. My friend told me that, in order to remove the turbo, the dealer had to remove the cab from the chassis. What? I thought she must have misunderstood or only heard part of the story so I called the service manager at the Ford dealership to get the facts. It turns out that dealerships have been lifting the cabs on Super Dutys -- for some engine repairs -- for several years. My first thought was that this had to be a major job involving many hours, and with a lot of potential for scratches and damage. Truth is, lifting the cab isn't an issue at all, and makes the job quicker and easier to accomplish than it would be if techs tried to work in the tight engine compartment, because the engines in the big Super Duty sit well back under the cab. The repair on the 2008 model was completed in about 8 hours, including a long test drive. What I thought sounded like a drastic maneuver wasn't a big deal at all.

Barry
Old 11-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #83
_

. , .
thanks for the confirmation ljh...

good find '57...

but i don't know about the 'lifting the cabs on s-ds for some years'... part

they sure didn't to work on my turbo last year.

and for the recent high pressure injector pump replacement (no longer an issue on 08s)

the mechanic almost needed a harness and trapeze to get in there. he was 'tail up' for hours...

i think the quick connects and modular plugs are a new thing...

maybe robertsunrus will see this thread and ring in on the topic...

i think he currently works in a ford shop...

anyway it seems pretty cool, this approach and

i'm gonna bug the shop guys so i can catch some pics of the process...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:49 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
2'air

Pics would be good, and fun.

Here's the article I copied the info from

No More Navistar Diesels to Ford

I'm also not confident that this is something they've been doing for a few years- or at least most shops anyways. I got an email back from the bro tonight and he said his first viewing of this was a couple of weeks ago when a buddy of his picked up his new truck. They had him down for an orientation on his new truck, and he took my bro with him. As part of the orientation they showed them one being worked on in the shop with the cab off. He was quite impressed.

Barry
Old 11-01-2007, 10:06 PM   #85
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Wow! I am going to have to put some quick connects in the stuff I installed. I hope to never need it.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 12:00 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
thanks for the confirmation ljh...

good find '57...

but i don't know about the 'lifting the cabs on s-ds for some years'... part

they sure didn't to work on my turbo last year.

and for the recent high pressure injector pump replacement (no longer an issue on 08s)

the mechanic almost needed a harness and trapeze to get in there. he was 'tail up' for hours...

i think the quick connects and modular plugs are a new thing...

maybe robertsunrus will see this thread and ring in on the topic...

i think he currently works in a ford shop...

anyway it seems pretty cool, this approach and

i'm gonna bug the shop guys so i can catch some pics of the process...

cheers
2air'
Hi, 2air. robertsunrus is here and to tell you what I know and have heard from the inside , so to speak. Another dealer, near by, has been lifting cabs for some time now. On the assembly line Ford and everyone else has been useing quick connects for several items, for many years, such as A/C, heater hoses, cooler lines, wire looms Etc. The factory said they use these for quicker assembly. Removeing the cab was not previously recommended by Ford, but several mechanics thought it was a good idea to get everything away from the engine area. As of now my diesel mechanic can do it all without removeing the cab, but we have not done any 2008 trucks yet and, on these, Ford does state that the cab must be removed for major service or actually almost everything done to a 6.4 L diesel. The cab can be lifted with an above ground electric hoist [Rotary 9000, 10000, or 12000] or a wide, in ground, side by side hydraulic hoist. We have all of these hoists in our shop. We might not see very many of these needing repairs because they are very well built and Ford [unlike on the 6.0s] is very strong on, "If you modify it, you bought it." And finally, in 29 days, or November 30th, I'm retireing.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 08:13 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
2008 27' Safari FB SE
CHICAGO , Illinois
I picked up our F350 PSD Crew Cab in July and after 2500 initial miles I love the truck. Our previous TV was a 2005 F150 KR which never had a single problem beyond a clipped mirror after many thousand miles of commute and towing across the US. But I wanted more power and less white knuckled wheel gripping while towing. This is my first diesel since my deuce and a 1/2 / 5 Ton military days. Not so wild about the MPG thus far but still in the 15k break-in period. I would say 11 MPG around town and 15 on open road. Of course it tows our 27 like a dream and the interior rivals any high end SUV for amenities (Lariat model). Lots of thumbs up from local contracters, and union neighbors.

Unfortunately we live in price gouge Chicago where corner stations try to get $3.49 a gallon for ULS diesel. Outside our God forsaken county and city tax belt, it goes for $3.05 which is even or less than regular unleaded and more in line with what I expected.

I have used the tailgate step many times and dont miss hoisting myself into the bed on the corner of the bumper. Thought it was a frivolous accessory but have come to appreciate how easy it is to get in and out of the bed - and the handle could make for an interesting dance party.

It is a quieter ride than older diesels, no smokey exhaust, and will get up and go off the line. With the 20" wheels, Equalizer hitch on bottom hole, and a tiny bit of weight in the bed the tech guys at Ehrhardts trailer found the truck was perfectly level with the AS and ready to tow! I really like the new electrical hook-up design as well - no push and pull required.

I will report back at 250,000 and see how the new PSD fared!
Valhalla2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:11 AM   #88

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Hey you are no alone with the gouge central. Eastern Oregon is $3.55/ gal for diesel right now. I also noticed how much quiter the 2008 is to my 06 when I heard one at the dealer yesterday.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #89
_

. , .
hey bob,

happy retirement and go camping dude!

thanks for the clarification on popping the cab off.

i still wanna see it and get pics.

hey v-2go,

good front line user report.

at 52k my truck is still not completely broken in...

real trucks have cut-in daylight doors!

and blue ovals...

zoom, zoom.

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #90
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hey bob,

happy retirement and go camping dude!

thanks for the clarification on popping the cab off.

i still wanna see it and get pics.

hey v-2go,

good front line user report.

at 52k my truck is still not completely broken in...

real trucks have cut-in daylight doors!

and blue ovals...

zoom, zoom.

2air'
Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "cut-in daylight door"?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 07:46 PM   #91
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
Somewhere in Western , North Carolina
08 F250

Well I hope I don't have to have that serious of an operation for a few hundred thousand miles on my new rig.

However, I have put 15k on it already and have only had one issue. ULS. Some of the stations that claim ULS might not always be the case. The new 08's have to have it. The issue I've had is a rapid down shift from 5th to 4th when accelerating and the engine surges like a gas engine getting flooded by a 4 barrel carb. Lasts a second or two then runs ok. Never a problem with the right diesel.

Just returned from a hunting trip to North and South Dakota with my uncle and his friend. They both have diesels too, 2000 F250 and a 2005 2500HD Duramax and both commented on the car like ride, engine noise and "sports car" like steering compared to theirs.

Air# 16888 | 2000 34' Limited | 2008 Ford F250
dpandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #92
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I'm sure the new Fords are fine trucks but man they sure have the ugliest grill I have ever seen. My brother has an 05 PSD 4 x 4 - probably the nicest looking truck that Ford has ever built but I always have to kid him because he got his truck stuck in a flat grassy field next to his barn - Yep that nice big HEAVY diesel engine takes you straight down into the mud axle deep. He put his tail between his legs and had to ask me to pull him out with my ol' Jeep pickup.
I have a brother in law with the Duramax/Allison and another brother in law with a Dodge Cummins. All are really nice trucks but I would have to go with the Dodge pickup - it just looks better than the others. "Flame suit on"
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 09:34 PM   #93

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
looks better is a matter of choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy
All are really nice trucks but I would have to go with the Dodge pickup - it just looks better than the others. "Flame suit on"
When I was looking for my first pickup truck it was down to a Dodge 2500 and a Ford F-250. I sat in several of each model to see which features I wanted. I drove both. When I sat in the Dodges it was making me queasy. really I was not feeling well. The lines and color combos were playing with my head. When I sat in the Ford. I felt at ease. I bought the Ford.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:17 AM   #94
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Hey you are no alone with the gouge central. Eastern Oregon is $3.55/ gal for diesel right now. I also noticed how much quiter the 2008 is to my 06 when I heard one at the dealer yesterday.
Don't feel bad. The cheapo diesel here is 3.559 and for the good stuff ei. Chevron, Shell and Texaco its 3.69
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:03 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Went to look yeserday

Wife and I went to take a look at the Ford Super Duty, as step one of figuring what truck we wanted. First step is to baseline the interior comfort, options, and ride. Ford was the first stop.

Went to the dealer and was told they were issued a immediate service bulletin that Ford told them do not let any Fords in certain VIN# ranges to be driven, as a recall/modification had to be done to some bracket near the fuel tank.

Out of the 40+ trucks they had, only 3 could be test driven, all the rest had to have the fix/recall done...

Oh well.....

But, the ride is nice... much better than my Excursion with leaf springs all around. Power is nice - acceleration like a car.

Went to look at the Chevy next - loved the interior "car like" of the LTZ - but ride was harder, engine noise louder, no backup camera option or power side mirrors like the ford...

Will take a look at the Dodge next and decide....
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:29 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Kevin, Don't worry about the stop sale it happens quite alot. I'm a Subaru dealer and these types of things happen every once in a while. We get the fix, take care of the problem and then we're all set.
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #97
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
Kevin,

We have the same size trailer and the 2008 SuperDuty with the diesel. After almost 15k miles we still really love the vehicle and it makes taking our baby out that much more fun and relaxing. We get about 14 mpg while towing and upwards of 23 when not. Engine still not fully broken in and I expect mileage to continue to improve. We also added a motorized bed cover which makes for a very large "trunk". My wife actually chose the truck as she didn't like the GMC and wouldn't even consider a Dodge.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:15 AM   #98
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
You know, this is one of the great advantages of our little hobby pulling Airstreams around the country. We have a real excuse to trade up and justify huge dollars on a new tow vehicle. It is an exciting period we are in, new technology and competition is keen. I truly believe the reason our 08 f150 is such an excellent performer is due to Toyota. Anyway, great thread, and when you have time visit the the ford dealership and see what they have done in the past few years to improve the entire line up. It is what converted me from GM to Ford.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:42 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Rumors for changes for 2009:

I'd be interested to see what, if any, on this list come about in 09:

Any 09 rumors yet? - Diesel Forum - The Diesel Stop.com

PickupTruck.com - Liner Notes: 2009 Ford Super Duty Gets Spray-In Bedliner

One change on the 2008.5 that may impact those who tow:

Ford makes mid-year Super Duty changes to improve fuel economy - Autoblog

To I get an 08 or wait till 09???

Wife may kill me if I get one now - We just paid our taxes!!!
Maxwell the 1964 Globe Trotter
Name TBD the 1955 Overlander
WBCCI # 6155
AIR # 6155

2nd love - 2006 28' Safari LS
1st love - 2004 19' CCD Bambi
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 AM   #100
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
I wouldn't let a spray in bed liner kill the deal on a current year vehicle. Work it into the deal. My recent Dodge purchase had a full spray in over the rails worked into the deal that was already $900 BELOW invoice.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote