Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I was finally able to get my suburban in to the dealer on the wind noise from the rear lift glass. I gave them the GM service bulletin number and they replaced the entire lift glass, gasket and bumpers. I have not towed yet, but the glass seems to fit much tighter.

Lets hope it took care of the problem.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
I was finally able to get my suburban in to the dealer on the wind noise from the rear lift glass. I gave them the GM service bulletin number and they replaced the entire lift glass, gasket and bumpers. I have not towed yet, but the glass seems to fit much tighter.

Lets hope it took care of the problem.

Don
Excellent..keep us posted.

Did they apply anything to the weatherstrip?
Old 04-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Now that's great American customer service!

Not like that infamous "engine sludge" problem that one of the foreign mfrs tried to cover up!

Glad you Guys/Gals got your Burbs straightened out...they are awesome vehicles.

Bill
Old 04-29-2009, 12:58 PM   #24
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
I am taking mine in tomorrow, armed with bulletin number...I have the same exact problem with my 07 Suburban. It is maddeningly loud at times, especially while towing into headwinds.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area63 View Post
I am taking mine in tomorrow, armed with bulletin number...
You should not have a problem, the service ticket writer pulled it up on his computer while I was standing there. Detailed what needed to be done. I will find out on 5/8 if it worked, we are pulling out for a couple of weeks.

Don
Old 04-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Question Why??

My question is why did they put a lift glass window on the back door anyway. It is to high to be of any use. A friend of mine with a 2007 Suburban did not even know that it would open until I showed him how to open it. I never use it.

Don
Old 04-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
My question is why did they put a lift glass window on the back door anyway. It is to high to be of any use. A friend of mine with a 2007 Suburban did not even know that it would open until I showed him how to open it. I never use it.

Don
Hi, I have a lift glass on my Lincoln and I'm glad I do because I can't open the lift gate while hitched to my trailer. [lift gate is too close to my tongue jack]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	San Clemente 2008 054 (Large).jpg
Views:	105
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	79461  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Roseville , California
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Quote:
We have a 2002 Yukon XL, and we use the rear lift glass all the time. I leave it open when I am backing up to hitch the trailer, so I can hear better the directions that my other half is giving me. It's also useful when hauling long things....wood, pipe, etc. Our 1994 Suburban had the lift glass combined with a tail gate (versus the current lift-gate), which I preferred....better for lunch-time tail-gating.

I am glad to hear that your dealer took care of the problem!

AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
Old 06-05-2009, 12:25 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Angry Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area63 View Post
I am taking mine in tomorrow, armed with bulletin number...I have the same exact problem with my 07 Suburban. It is maddeningly loud at times, especially while towing into headwinds.
Did they fix it. We started on a long trip after the dealer replaced the glass, bumpers and gasket on my 2008 Suburban, but it did not fix it. the wind noise is still there. I have it back at the dealership now and they don't know what to do about it. We looked at some other Suburbans in the shop and in some the lift glass is real tight against the rubber bumpers on each side and seem to compress the gasket. On others the glass is loose and not even resting on the rubber bumpers, just like mine. I was told that there is no way to really adjust the latch or glass to get it any tighter. I suggested they replace the entire rear door with one where the lift glass is tight against the rubber bunpers. No answer on that yet.

Don
Old 06-05-2009, 09:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Did they fix it. We started on a long trip after the dealer replaced the glass, bumpers and gasket on my 2008 Suburban, but it did not fix it. the wind noise is still there. I have it back at the dealership now and they don't know what to do about it. We looked at some other Suburbans in the shop and in some the lift glass is real tight against the rubber bumpers on each side and seem to compress the gasket. On others the glass is loose and not even resting on the rubber bumpers, just like mine. I was told that there is no way to really adjust the latch or glass to get it any tighter. I suggested they replace the entire rear door with one where the lift glass is tight against the rubber bunpers. No answer on that yet.

Don
Hi, Don. Ask the dealer to contact the local factory Rep. or take it to the body shop. I have been working at new car dealers since 1968 and there is no such thing as not adjustable. Some adjustments are made by actually bending things. Such as welded striker plates, and door frames, can and have been bent to fit properly. Some adjustments like these are done at the factory during assemly and some at the dealer. I have done some of these myself. Note: to the younger generation, just because the parts don't have bolt holes with enlongated holes, doesn't mean it can't be adjusted to fit properly. Prime example: Chevy Vega, this car had all of it's hood trunk and door hinges welded to the body and the opening part. All adjustments were made by bending. [ask for an old time body man to fix it] This sort of thing raises my blood pressure even though it's not my problem.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Its fixed

Well maybe I can end this thread. I did take the Suburban back to the dealer again a few months ago. They were able to adjust the lift glass and it now compresses the rubber gasket and is much tighter when it is closed. I had not had the trailer out until this weekend to see it it was fixed for sure. It's fixed, no noise. The dealer finally turned this over to someone in the body shop who knew what to do about this. So just replacing the glass like they did the first go around is not the answer.

Don
Old 09-08-2009, 12:48 PM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Talked to our BS mgr, about the wind noise concern. We have corrected all but one with an adjustment of the lift glass. Of course the factory pays the dlr a lot less if no parts are replaced. Point of interest..If you have an independent body shop with a good rep stop by and get a second opinion.
I'm curious as to why the dealer is in the dark about the problem.

If I close the window on my 06 with a 1/2 pad of post-it notes stuck under it, wonder of wonders I got the noise too.....
YEP!! .... "obvious first"
Old 09-08-2009, 04:28 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I had the problem with a 2004 GMC envoy, the wind would pull the drivers door window from the seal, at times I could not even close the window if going too fast and the Wind direction was pulling the window away from the seal.

I loved the way the envoy would soak up bumps, way too small for the 28. our 2008 Ford F150 is vault like in its construction. No comparison. Very impressive vehicle and approachign 40k miles and towing a 28 over 25k miles. No problems. 0. The drivers side leather seat is wearing out for some strange reason however, they are replacing it. ??
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote