Old 12-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Angry 2008 Silverado 2500 Diesel - MIRROR HELP!!!

So. The day before Thanksgiving I bought my brand new "tow ready" Silverado which has everythng BUT the oversized motorized mirrors. I ordered the OEM mirrors from the dealer.

When they came in they weren't motorized. Anyone who has motorized mirrors (the flat mirror is motorized, the bottom convex mirror is manual) knows that adjusting them up and down while backing can be enormously helpful, AND it helps when hitching. It's also great to adjust the left mirror WAY out to the side when pulling onto a highway from a rest stop so that you can see what TWO lanes of oncoming traffic are doing. Besides that, it's a pain in the neck for a single Rivette with a bad knee to have to jump (lumber) in and out of the cab 20 times adjusting the $%&^%$@!!!! mirrors before taking off, only to decide 10 miles down the road that the left one may be a bit too high!

So why ticked off? Well, I had them send back the unmotorized mirrors and order the correct ones... and after they'd called the Chevy HQ, they tell me... nope the motorized ones aren't compatible with my wiring harness and I can't have them. (must not use bad language on the forum.....play nice)

(OK it's 15 minutes later and I'm back ). I'm supposed to go to the CAN OPENER - leaving Jan 3. I've gotta tell you, I towed the A/S about 5 miles with the factory mirrors and had semi-decent vision, but I'd still prefer some bigass motorized mirrors. I seem to be "search challenged" - so HELP me find a thread that will point me to a supplier that builds after-market mirrors and has motorized ones that will fit on a freeeking 2008 silverado.

Paula

Old 12-27-2007, 10:05 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
.. and the fun never stops.

Schefenaker has changed it's name to Visio-something.... I called their office in wherever and they are closed until January 1. Oh, and they don't show anything for 2008 chevys

Curses, Foiled AGAIN!

So back to the Search to try to find some decent slide ons.

Paula

Old 12-27-2007, 10:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
I have been using the TTT mirrors for 5 years (I just move them from my GM trucks to the next). They are very wide and allow me to see behind the trailer. Telescopic Trailer Tow Mirror by Visiocorp You are on the right track, go to their web site and look where they are available, you may find some retailers that can help with your fit.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Visiocorp/Schefenacker

Having previously owned a 2003 Suburban, I can tell you that the mirror style changed on the 2008 models. Schefenacker hasn't started making mirrors for the 2008 Chevy's yet. I'll probably go for some cheapo-cheapos for the trip to Fl, and just wait six months for Schefenacker to make the mirrors for the new year.

ARGH!
Old 12-27-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
You are correct about the Suburban body changes. I have used the same TTT mirrors on my '97, '02 and '06 Chevy pickups. The GM camper style mirrors that I pulled off of my '06 are the same ones they are using for the '08 trucks.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I know you don't want to hear this, but you should have bought an '08 F-250. Power telescopic and power fold mirrors....sweeeeeet!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
So. The day before Thanksgiving I bought my brand new "tow ready" Silverado which has everythng BUT the oversized motorized mirrors. I ordered the OEM mirrors from the dealer.

When they came in they weren't motorized. Anyone who has motorized mirrors (the flat mirror is motorized, the bottom convex mirror is manual) knows that adjusting them up and down while backing can be enormously helpful, AND it helps when hitching. It's also great to adjust the left mirror WAY out to the side when pulling onto a highway from a rest stop so that you can see what TWO lanes of oncoming traffic are doing. Besides that, it's a pain in the neck for a single Rivette with a bad knee to have to jump (lumber) in and out of the cab 20 times adjusting the $%&^%$@!!!! mirrors before taking off, only to decide 10 miles down the road that the left one may be a bit too high!

So why ticked off? Well, I had them send back the unmotorized mirrors and order the correct ones... and after they'd called the Chevy HQ, they tell me... nope the motorized ones aren't compatible with my wiring harness and I can't have them. (must not use bad language on the forum.....play nice)

(OK it's 15 minutes later and I'm back ). I'm supposed to go to the CAN OPENER - leaving Jan 3. I've gotta tell you, I towed the A/S about 5 miles with the factory mirrors and had semi-decent vision, but I'd still prefer some bigass motorized mirrors. I seem to be "search challenged" - so HELP me find a thread that will point me to a supplier that builds after-market mirrors and has motorized ones that will fit on a freeeking 2008 silverado.

Paula

Wow you could have had a FORD. They came with trailer package. Please no FORD that will bring bad karma.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I see the current headlines now:

"Ford buys Chevy!"
WBCCI# 4821
Old 12-27-2007, 02:56 PM   #9
Beneath the title

2005 28' International CCD
Mount Pleasant , South Carolina
Things in mirror are angrier than they appear

I am sorry to hear your mirror story. When I was looking for a TV, I went with the 2500 Deisel from Chevy. They had one at a dealer that was almost perfect except for the mirrors. They were an option. How much?

"700 bucks, each, I think, let me talk to my manager". So on my way to another dealer, for what seems like an almost standard item we kept looking. Finally Got the right truck at Dave Smith Motors is Idaho and I was very happy.

Anyway the dealer can absorb some of the cost? Bring the sucker back and tell you them intend to exchange it, start kvetching real loud in a busy showroom.

The Fords are by far the prettiest one on the road, we went with Chevy because the Deisel is more quiet. Plus my wife's name is Alison. (Chevy wont change the spelling of the transmission).

Good luck, If it were me, my post would have been R rated. Way to keep your cool.

John

Aunt Gladys, 28FT, Intl'
"Man, it's hot here, is the heat on?"
jnerges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:15 PM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You know, I bet the quoted you the wrong price for the motorized units and don't want to eat the difference now the deal is done. Try another dealer to see if they are available and at what price. You may have to pay more at another dealer, but at least you will have them if the "not compatible with your wiring harness" is B.S.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 12-27-2007, 03:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Bought my 2008 Duramax Crew a couple of months ago and it had the itty bitty mirrors, painted, auto feature and I had the dealer put the GM trailering mirrors on it with no problem. My huge, trailering mirrors are "Motorized" meaning; I extend them to full "OUT" position manually prior to trailering then the large upper mirror works just like any other "Motorized" mirror with the remote button on the driver's door panel. The lower, convex mirror must be adjusted by hand. I have no idea why my truck had the full towing package and yet came with those cute little wimpy mirrors that were of absolutely no use to someone who tows anything of any size this truck is rated for. Good luck in your efforts to get your rig just right but I think your dealer may be shooting you a line of bull if what I had installed is what you're looking for.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Well Goll-eeee (in best Gomer Pyle voice)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6
Bought my 2008 Duramax Crew a couple of months ago and it had the itty bitty mirrors, painted, auto feature and I had the dealer put the GM trailering mirrors on it with no problem. My huge, trailering mirrors are "Motorized" meaning; I extend them to full "OUT" position manually prior to trailering then the large upper mirror works just like any other "Motorized" mirror with the remote button on the driver's door panel. The lower, convex mirror must be adjusted by hand. I have no idea why my truck had the full towing package and yet came with those cute little wimpy mirrors that were of absolutely no use to someone who tows anything of any size this truck is rated for. Good luck in your efforts to get your rig just right but I think your dealer may be shooting you a line of bull if what I had installed is what you're looking for.
I KNEW IT! Now, the factory mirrors on my Silverado are motorized but do NOT have the integrated turn arrows. Apparently all of the big mirrors that are motorized DO have those arrows. Would you share publically or privately WHERE you bought your vehicle, and who in parts/service helped you. I want to cram it down the throat of the "customer satisfaction manager" at my dealership (RK Chevrolet, Virginia Beach, VA). I'm WILLING to pay more for the motorized mirrors. I may need your VIN number and phone number if things get ugly (or uglier) too.

Paula

Paula Ford
Old 12-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Hey Paula,
Shelor Motor Mile, Christiansburg, VA. was the dealer but honestly, while the mirror thing turned out OK, the dealership was a pain in the A_S to deal with for "Add Ons" as I call them. It took a full week to take delivery. Had this been a larger city, I could have taken delivery "As Is" for everything other than the mirrors and customized it elsewhere. Never again. Good luck and let me know if I can help out in any other way.
Dick
Old 12-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
Paula----The GM part number for these mirrors (powered upper, maunal lower convex, heated, built in turn arrows, manual slide) is 15904034 for L/H and 15904035 R/H. I put these on my 05 GMC Denali and the wiring hooked up just fine. Although GM doesn't warranty them on trucks that didn't have them as original equipment. The supplier name on the mirror is MUTH and their part number is 083106 L/H and 071806 R/H

Put the part number in a Google search, and the first entry is GM Parts Direct, which is the on-line selling business for Flow Chevrolet. I think they are in one of the Carolinas. Go to their site and find the part number listed vertically along the right hand side of their home page. They currently have a special sale at $186 each. That's about half of the listed retail price. They also have an excellent picture so you can be sure which mirror they are talking about.

Good Luck,

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote