Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-28-2007, 07:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Paula , I hate to even say this but it's possible that the dealer is correct . Not sure what trim level your new truck is . If it didn't have power mirrors at all there may not be the harness in the door or the controls on the door panel.
Try another dealer and give them your vin number and ask the same question. That's not to say that it can't be done , but it might be more money than you'd like . Good luck
ticki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
UPDATE... whew

Well I printed out this thread and took it to the dealer and showed their parts manager and their customer satisfaction manager this thread. I also pointed out that I'd been trying to get the straight story on the mirrors since Thanksgiving AND that I was leaving for the Can Opener at OH-DARK-THIRTY on Jan 3.

They found the right mirrors in town (may have to take them off of another vehicle in the lot for all I know) and will have them here Monday morning. I'm getting them plus installation for $400. The dealer is eating the rest for my inconvenience.

I LOVE THIS FORUM!

Thank you all. Paula FORD (yes I do see the irony of owning a chevy)
Old 12-29-2007, 05:18 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Hey there Paula,

I just knew they were feeding you a line of C_ _ P! Don't ya just love the auto sales business? NOT. Now you'll be set, safe and happy. Have fun at TopSail. Wish we could have kept our reservation; however, being football fans of two teams headed to Florida bowl games was a problem. We hope everyone takes lots of pictures, posts em and lets us know how much fun we missed. Maybe next year. Be safe.

HAPPY TRAILS
Old 12-31-2007, 08:59 AM   #24
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Glad things worked out for you to get the mirrors in time for you to use them on your trip to the Can Opener. Looking forward to meeting you there. Drop by our site (#154) around 5ish on Saturday for a pre-potluck BYOB cocktail party. We're furnishing some lite appetizers and a cozy fire pit to gather 'round.

See you there!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #25
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
No TTT Mirrors for a while

I emailed TTT (new name now, but I don't remember it at the moment). It may be a full year before they have towing mirrors available for the new body style GMC and Chevy. No explanation why.

Right now, I have a set of the large manual mirrors I bought cheap on EBay. They are OK, but I'll go to the motorized ones when I can find some. I miss the turn signals in the mirrors more than the motorized feature.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:01 AM   #26
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I had the reverese sensor on my old truck. It turned out to be a blessing. I like the back up camera more. Great for hitching by yourself!
I'd like to see your set-up this weekend at the Can Opener. I would have preferred the back-up camera that Ford offers to the sensors, but I took what was on the truck that had the other options that I wanted. I don't think there were any with the back-up cameras available when I purchased. Since F-250's are made for towing and hauling, you'd think that would be a popular option.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 12-31-2007, 12:59 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Paula, I'm glad you were able to get your mirror problem worked out. It sounds like the dealer mishandled the situation and has helped to perpetuate the feeling that we're all (we dealers) a bunch of jerks.

I'd like to address some of the issues that were brought up in this thread from a dealers' perspective. Dodge as with the other manufacturers does not include the trailer tow mirror in their tow package. It is a stand alone option. A $100 dollar upgrade if the truck has power mirrors as standard equipment. Believe it or not, when given a choice, not everybody wants the big mirrors. I stock all of my 2500 and 3500 trucks with the tow pkg and tow mirrors. I mix it up on the 1500s.

The retail price of the folding, power, heated, trailer tow mirror from Dodge - through parts - is $404 each. It can be installed in place of the smaller mirror with no problem. We know this because we have made this swap. However, it is not too far fetched that this type of a swap would not work. The electronics on these vehicles prevents a lot of after the fact upgrades due to differences in wiring harnesses, body computers, powertrain control modules, instrument clusters, vehicle info centers etc.

Once my service department installs a part. it is not eligible for return to the manufacturer. If I have to take it back, it goes on a shelf. Sometimes forever. This makes a parts man gun shy about ordering something that he is not 100% certain will work and unfortunately our manufacturers do not provide us with enough info to always know what will work and what won't when it comes to swapping equipment. Not an excuse, but maybe this is why your dealer told you the mirrors would not work. Or, he may have just been trying to get you to keep the manual mirrors to avoid having to put them in his inventory or returning them - in whick case - shame on him. You did not say whose mistake it was that the manual mirrors were ordered or if they had installed them before you asked them to send them back.

ZoominC6 was unhappy that it took a week for the installation of "add-ons" and this delayed delivery. Being a small dealer this is not an unusual occurence here. I cannot stock all available accessories nor can I just slip it into my service deparment's schedule. But having everything installed prior to delivery does lessen the possibility of a frustrating problem like Paula's later on. I know in this age of instant gratification it's hard to wait. For my customers that can't wait, I will go ahead with the delivery and then schedule an appointment for installation when all accessories are in so that one trip will do it.

Happy New Years!

Roger
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:47 PM   #28
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBolton
...Once my service department installs a part. it is not eligible for return to the manufacturer. If I have to take it back, it goes on a shelf. Sometimes forever. This makes a parts man gun shy about ordering something that he is not 100% certain will work and unfortunately our manufacturers do not provide us with enough info to always know what will work and what won't when it comes to swapping equipment. ...

Roger
I thought this was why manufacturer's had factory reps and regional service managers so you could call and ask questions. It seems to me Paula's dealer could have done this.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 12-31-2007, 03:24 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Somewhere , Between the Tetons and the SF Bay
I am using the CIPA slide ons on my '06 Silverado 2500HD. They work well enough, but are not remote controlled. I also do not have any steering wheel controls or DIC, so I wonder if any of the OEM extendable or camper mirrors will even work on my truck. Anyone know ??
Old 12-31-2007, 04:57 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
I thought this was why manufacturer's had factory reps and regional service managers so you could call and ask questions. It seems to me Paula's dealer could have done this.
One would think. Unfortunately that is not the case. Factory Representatives are not much more than customer relations people these days. At least in the automotive industry. Factory parts specifiers can tell you if mirror A will fit truck C, but don't have the engineering info to tell if Mirror B will fit a truck that came with mirror A. Factory tech advisors are a littlle better with repair help. At least to the extent that one can fix a vehicle over the phone. But things have just gotten too complicated and the turn over in this field is as bad as any other. Experience is still the best qualifier and experienced dealer techs and veteran parts people are still the best source of accurate info. Sorry if I have offended any factory guys.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
And the fun never stops!

Big mirrors on! EVERYTHING works, even the turn signal arrows in the mirrors... it works Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.... and suddenly Monday night, NOPE, the power adjustment doesn't work.

So I call Steve in service Tuesday morning. He and I mutually agree that it's probably just a fuse and I stop by.... I've read the manual, found the 2 amp fuse (one that doesn't have a spare in the fuse box cover) and Steve slips the old one out and a new one in. Everything should be fine, right? Of course not. Test the mirror and nothing happens. Steve pulls the new fuse and bingo, it's blown immediately. That means something has shorted and grounded out. And I'm leaving for Florida tomorrow morning. As I see it our options are (1) put in a 30 amp fuse and start sniffing until we smell burning insulation because we've turned the wire into the fuse, then hope it's a quick fix... or (2) leave it alone until I get back from Topsail.

I chose option (2) so now I'm the kid with the manual mirrors... but the turn arrows still work. CRAP. Did anyone else who added power towing mirrors have any problem like this?

Paula Ford (proud owner of a Chevy thats got issues)
Old 01-02-2008, 12:23 PM   #32
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again
Big mirrors on! EVERYTHING works, even the turn signal arrows in the mirrors... it works Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.... and suddenly Monday night, NOPE, the power adjustment doesn't work.

So I call Steve in service Tuesday morning. He and I mutually agree that it's probably just a fuse and I stop by.... I've read the manual, found the 2 amp fuse (one that doesn't have a spare in the fuse box cover) and Steve slips the old one out and a new one in. Everything should be fine, right? Of course not. Test the mirror and nothing happens. Steve pulls the new fuse and bingo, it's blown immediately. That means something has shorted and grounded out. And I'm leaving for Florida tomorrow morning. As I see it our options are (1) put in a 30 amp fuse and start sniffing until we smell burning insulation because we've turned the wire into the fuse, then hope it's a quick fix... or (2) leave it alone until I get back from Topsail.

I chose option (2) so now I'm the kid with the manual mirrors... but the turn arrows still work. CRAP. Did anyone else who added power towing mirrors have any problem like this?

Paula Ford (proud owner of a Chevy thats got issues)
Hi Paula, as stated earlier, I set my mirrors when I bought the truck and have not touched the adjustment again. This position works for my Wife also. Maybe we are just lucky....but I am guessing that once you get them set where you like, you may not need to move them, so this may be a non-issue.

Of course you can get it all settled when you return from your trip.

The only adjustment we make is in/out when towing or not (which is manual on the GM's anyway...).

Bill
Old 01-02-2008, 12:46 PM   #33
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Like Bill, I set the angles on my mirrors, on this and last F-250 with tow mirrors, and left that set and just extend them without adjusting angles. The only time I ever adjust the mirrors is when I have the truck washed and the finish guys get them out of adjustment when they are drying the truck and washing the mirrors and windows.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-02-2008, 04:08 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Backing

I adjust the mirrors when backing, with or without the Airstream attached. It's really easy to turn the mirrors down to the ground and watch your back wheels. You get nicely centered and don't leave yourself with another 3 feet you could have backed into.

Paula
Old 01-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #35
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Does the new Chevy mirrors have the concvex mirrors at the bottom? I find them indispensable for verifying my position in the lane and especially checking my blind spots for lane changes.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 01-03-2008, 08:13 AM   #36
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Does the new Chevy mirrors have the concvex mirrors at the bottom? I find them indispensable for verifying my position in the lane and especially checking my blind spots for lane changes.
Yes...