Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2008, 08:23 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' International CCD
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, I just now went on the Ford site and checked out the 2008 Ford Expedition specs for towing.

Standard trailer tow capacity
4X2 3.31 6,000 lbs
4X4 3.73 6,000 lbs

Optional heavy-duty trailer tow capacity
4X2 3.73 9,000 lbs
4X4 3.73 8,750 lbs

Previously Ford always used a 3.73 ratio with the trailer tow package. Now I guess they decided to have two tow packages for some unknown reason. In this case I would only have the Optional heavy-duty trailer tow package. I would only tow with a 3.73 or lower ratio [higher number] like a 4.10 for example.

Interestingly, that bit of information is not contained in the 2008 RV & Trailer towing guide that I got from the Ford dealership. Anyway, I finally did figure out that a 3.73 was necessary and available, so I have a new Expedition XLT coming with that rear end and an HD tow package for my 25' Ocean Breeze FB. While I considered a 3/4 ton pickup, I wanted something well mannered when not towing and I live near Los Angeles (rather than on a ranch). The Expedition drives very nicely for a full size SUV.

I asked the Airstream dealer about the need for the load leveling air suspension and he actually recommended against it, so Im leaving that off.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful hints, I'll let you know how it works out.

Jot
Old 01-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
My husband and I bought a 2007 Expedition 4x4 EL with the HD tow package last fall. I haven't used it yet for towing the Airstream, so I can't really give you any experiences with that. However, around town (which is where it really gets its use for me), it has been a pleasure to drive. I drove a conversion van before, and this handles much nicer. I like the room for toting my stuff for our business around. In fact, I also tote my friends around in it, since they have all downsized to smaller SUV's and can only fit 4 people in them. As a matter of fact, today my husband is taking me and 4 of my friends to O'Hare Airport in the Expedition and sending us off to Huatulco, Mexico!! YEEHA! (I'll look for Airstreams down there).

Back to the subject--I plan on using the Expedition for towing the Airstream, but not really intending on crossing many mountains. I usually stick around the midwest & probably will until we retire (someday!) I drove it last night in the snow & it handled really well---Love it!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

I got the new Expedition (hd tow pkg, 3.73 axle, 300HP, 6 speed auto) in February 08 and have towed several times, including a haul up to Northern California, about 500 miles each way over the Grapevine. It tows extremely well and I averaged about 12 mpg. The best part is that when Im not towing, it is a well mannered suv that's easy to drive anywhere, can seat 7, and was under $30K. I would recommend it for anything in the 7000 lb range. Jot
Old 05-08-2008, 06:59 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Thats great new. I think when hear the 5.4 is doggy from others on this post they do not realize the improvements Ford made on the engine. It is one of the only overhead cam, variable timing, 3 valve v8 engines in the world. Extremely low rpm, high torque combination and this why we just love our set up. Does yours burn e85?
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:32 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28
Thats great new. I think when hear the 5.4 is doggy from others on this post they do not realize the improvements Ford made on the engine. It is one of the only overhead cam, variable timing, 3 valve v8 engines in the world. Extremely low rpm, high torque combination and this why we just love our set up. Does yours burn e85?

If that means regular- then yes, it runs great on regular, no knocking. I know the Ford vs. Chevy debate has raged for years and Ive never picked a side. It just seems to me that Ford has more advanced features in this suv- 6 speed, independent rear suspension, high torque at low rpms, high towing capacity
Old 05-10-2008, 08:11 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
The six speed is indeed a great concept and you will be the test site for durability. I really will be interested in your comments as time goes by. Keep us posted. Independent suspension is another area the 150 in my opinion is lacking. It could be from the big presentation they give in dealership that due to varying loads of a pick up vs a passenger vehicle they need the the old set up. Still, they have put the shocks much wider to account for unbalanced loads . I like independent suspension, and coil springs for most driving conditions and it looks like Dodge will be going all coil as well. Leaf springs seem like old technology for all the major improvements they have made.

You will know if she burns e85. The gas cap is bright yellow. Ford does not put badges on the vehicle like others.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:50 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28
The six speed is indeed a great concept and you will be the test site for durability. I really will be interested in your comments as time goes by. Keep us posted. Independent suspension is another area the 150 in my opinion is lacking. It could be from the big presentation they give in dealership that due to varying loads of a pick up vs a passenger vehicle they need the the old set up. Still, they have put the shocks much wider to account for unbalanced loads . I like independent suspension, and coil springs for most driving conditions and it looks like Dodge will be going all coil as well. Leaf springs seem like old technology for all the major improvements they have made.

You will know if she burns e85. The gas cap is bright yellow. Ford does not put badges on the vehicle like others.
It is not set up for e85- maybe its a California thing
Old 05-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I used my 2007 Expedition EL 4X4 to pull our 31' Sovereign out to Galena, Illinois a couple of weeks ago. It is very hilly there (but not actually mountains). It pulled great! Not one problem. The gas mileage on the highway was about 11-12 mpg. I really like the Expedition, but the gas is killing me (as everyone else!). Got myself a Vespa for running around town! Let's just not talk about the gas mileage here! I'd rather forget about it when it comes to the Airstream!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:10 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I could not find e85 in California except one station in Oceanside. Anyway, good to hear from those who have recently purchased a 5.4 set for towing. I also did your grapevine with no issues and really the big thing is to let the engine rev at or around 3200-3400 rpm on steeper grades. I use over drive for most of the trip nationwide, pop itout on hilly terrain, and go down to 3 on steeper grades. Same thing on downhill grades. I have done the worst from the rockies to the steep hills in New Mexico. 3 times the rockie mt national park. One real steep SOB out of Mesa heading to las Cruces. Never a problem. The real winner for rough roads and long grades is the truckee pass. I must have passed dozens of fifth wheels/motorhomes/trailers way over loaded and blowing diesel smoke. It is also why like the console shifter, you just feel like shifting more and I use it for braking even on red lights that come up fast. Enjoy!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 09:10 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
I have an 06 Expedition. I have been told never to tow with overdrive on. Interesting that you do except " on hilly terrain." I cruise at about 2500 RPM at 60 MPH with OD off on relatively flat roads. I could probably save about 1 mile per gallon if I did what you do.
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:55 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
The way I see it, why not use overdrive if the engine is able to stay at a steady state, usually depending on grade and headwind. I see nothing in our owners manual that requires operating out of overdrive, only if the engine is hunting for the right gear. Again, having a console shifter makes this seem easier.I always ask at the 5k oil change how the trans fluid looks. Answer is perfect. So, despite punishing hills and temps that huge cooler upfront and the 250 series trans must be just about bullet proof.