Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2009, 02:57 PM   #1

Vancouver , British Columbia
2008 cherokee diesel

I own a cherokee crd and was wondering everyone's opinion what would be a safe size travel trailer to tow behind it. the 23 foot trailers are more ideal for what we want but what have have been reading it looks like i may have to lower that because of the short wheel base. It does have a rating of 7200 and i believe enough power torque for the 23 footer but is it safe?
kevin1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
If there is an issue with stability the "Orange" is a very popular upgrade...

Hensley Arrow - Trailer Towing Safety
Old 01-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #3

Vancouver , British Columbia
I have seen the hensley and i would spend the money on it if i did get a trailer. I would get anything that makes it as safe as possible. Its weird though that people tow a 30' trailer with a suburban and it has a 130" wheel base which would mean it is about 5' over the limit if you go buy some of the rules on this forum.
kevin1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
I've been towing a 22 footer with a 114 in wheelbase medium-sized SUV (2003 Ford Explorer w/V8). The "110 inch WB matches 20 ft trailer" rule of thumb you reference is a good guide, but does not take modern sway control into account. Many here wisely council to make sure you have enough tow vehicle, and because Airstreams tend to be heavier than conventional TTs, many go with heavy duty pickups to ensure they always have more than enough.

That said, a reasonablly-matched medium SUV/TT combo can make a capable tow. With a good dual-cam anti-sway system, or the costly but very effective Hensley (I've towed with one for 3 years), you would be OK. I would not go bigger than 23.

John W

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Whizzo, I don't own an Airstream trailer yet but, I think Airstreams are typically lighter than conventional box trailers.
I have an 08 Tahoe and am towing a box trailer, 26 ft , 6800lbs with a equalizer and it tows great. I was a little worried because I used to tow it with a 2500 GMC Suburban.
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
I think that your Canadian Cherokee is either our Liberty or Grand Cherokee and I believe it is more than adequate for the 23 footer which has a gross weight limit of 4000 lbs. We pulled a 22 CCD with our 1996 Cherokee, a lighter and shorter wheelbase vehicle when compared to yours with no problems other than power for the big grades here getting out of the LA basin in California. The Cherokee was rated to tow 5000 lb. and we stretched it to the limit with the 22' CCD.

We used the Equalizer brand hitch and found the tow vehicle and trailer combination quite stable, even in wind and when being passed by semi's on the freeway. Now it wasn't setup that way from the dealer. They had the hitch head too low and not enough weight transfer to the front wheels but we adjusted it during two short trips and had it right. Many dealers provide the Equalizer free or as part of the purchase package. You could try it and if not satisfied then pay the big bucks for the Hensley. The HEnsley certainly has some advantage and its supporters but we are very happy with the Equalizer.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
Anderson / Sun City , Indiana / Arizona
I tow a 1963 Tradewind (24') single axle with a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. I us an Equal-i-zer sway control hitch. The Tradewind weighs 4400 lbs. fully loaded, so it is lighter than newer Airstreams.

I am very satisfied with this match up. Pleanty of power. Good mileage (18mpg). Very comfortable ride. AND... the backup camera allows me to hook up unassisted.

MTW.... my Dad towed a 1962 Overlander (26') all over North America with a Jeep Wagoneer. He haver had a problem. BTW, that was before traction control, and he used an EZ Lift hitch without any sway control.

I think you will be very happy with the Jeep if you don't buy an Airstream that significantly outweighs the Jeep.

Mike Brumback
Grand Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
I don't own an Airstream trailer yet but, I think Airstreams are typically lighter than conventional box trailers.
That's true of 60s and older Airstreams, which is why many recommend a restored classic for smaller Tow vehicles. But especially 90s and newer tend to be more pounds per unit length. For example, my R-Vision Trail Cruiser was a traditional 26 footer that weighed 3400 lbs dry, and my current A/S weights 3280 dry. A 22 foot model in the same R-Vision line weighs 3000 dry.

Just trying to characterize general trends.

Whizzo is offline   Reply With Quote