Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
2007 XC90 as TV

I needed to get rid of my Ford Expedition because my kids are learning to drive and even I hated trying to park the thing. I bought a 2007 XC90, fully loaded, because of the safety, and the fact that the XC70 I previously owned was a great car combining luxury and safety with no serious maintenance issues. (knock on wood and fingers crossed)

I wasn't really planning this as a TV, but realized with a towing capacity of 5k, I might be able to go with a 16 Sport (GVWR 3500).

But the International Signature 19 at GVWR 4500 is really appealing.

I eventually want to own a 27FB, with an appropriate TV, but this might get us in an AS sooner.

Opinions on the XC90 towing 4500?
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:04 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
You'll probably get lots of opinions on this as tow vehicles are a hotly debated topic here! Check out Can Am RV's website. You may be surprised at what you can tow with your Volvo...

WBCCI #7246
Old 10-24-2014, 06:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
International Signature 19 at GVWR 4500 is really appealing.
GVWR of the trailer is not the place to start your analysis.

Start with Unit Base Weight (UBW). That is basically the empty weight of the trailer. UBW for the International Signature 19 is 3800 pounds.

Well within the specs of your tow vehicle.

The difference between your XC90's 5000lb max trailer weight, and the Airstream's 3800lb empty weight, giving you a 1200lb margin.

Next you estimate how much weight you will put in the trailer. I doubt that will be even close to 1200lbs. In fact, based on its specs, you should not put more than 700lbs in the Signature 19. (GVWR - UBW = 700lbs). Still well within the specs of your tow vehicle, even fully loaded.

Then make sure you get the right weight distribution hitch to avoid putting too much weight on the back of the SUV.

Go for it.

Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
Do you think it might be a good idea to check the cargo capacity of the XC90 and see how that compares to the total weight of the passengers, dogs and "stuff" in the vehicle when added to the tongue weight of the trailer? The cargo capacity of most unibody SUVs is surprisingly low.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Superior , Colorado
I've driven an XC90 with the v8. Nice car, but not burly at all. Very much an on-road SUV like a BMW X5. Short wheelbase, too. With either a 16 or 19, I think you'd be OK if you stayed far from an interstate, even with a good weight distribution hitch. I'd not take it over 55mph.
ericpeltier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 12:25 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
You might want to consider a nice vintage trailer, because they are lighter. You can get a bigger trailer that will still come in under your TVs weight capacity.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Our neighbor here in town towed a 22' SOB with an XC90 for a number of years.

Also there is a forum member who tows a good size vintage Airstream with his Can AM set up Volvo S60 sedan. He seemed to like the way the rock solid Volvo handled his trailer.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:42 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
GVWR of the trailer is not the place to start your analysis.

Start with Unit Base Weight (UBW). That is basically the empty weight of the trailer. UBW for the International Signature 19 is 3800 pounds.

Well within the specs of your tow vehicle.

The difference between your XC90's 5000lb max trailer weight, and the Airstream's 3800lb empty weight, giving you a 1200lb margin.

Next you estimate how much weight you will put in the trailer. I doubt that will be even close to 1200lbs. In fact, based on its specs, you should not put more than 700lbs in the Signature 19. (GVWR - UBW = 700lbs). Still well within the specs of your tow vehicle, even fully loaded.

Then make sure you get the right weight distribution hitch to avoid putting too much weight on the back of the SUV.

Go for it.

Thanks for pointing this out. I doubt we'd ever have the TT at full capacity. My wife and I won't be full timing, and we tend to travel light.

I forgot to mention this is the V8 model. I've heard there are transmission issues with the T6, which is why I avoided it.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Old 10-24-2014, 01:56 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
You might want to consider a nice vintage trailer, because they are lighter. You can get a bigger trailer that will still come in under your TVs weight capacity.
I thought about this, but I'm not up to the task of renovating one on my own. I do keep looking though. Though some of the renovated ones are almost as much as a new one.

If I had the facilities, I'd love to renovate one. But I'm in the city and have nowhere near me to park one while I work on it.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
Edwards , Colorado
Quote:
I needed to get rid of my Ford Expedition because my kids are learning to drive and even I hated trying to park the thing. I bought a 2007 XC90, fully loaded, because of the safety, and the fact that the XC70 I previously owned was a great car combining luxury and safety with no serious maintenance issues. (knock on wood and fingers crossed)

I wasn't really planning this as a TV, but realized with a towing capacity of 5k, I might be able to go with a 16 Sport (GVWR 3500).

But the International Signature 19 at GVWR 4500 is really appealing.

I eventually want to own a 27FB, with an appropriate TV, but this might get us in an AS sooner.

Opinions on the XC90 towing 4500?
I have a 2008 Volvo XC 90 with V8 and purchased it because I had such a good experience with a 2001 XC 70. Sound familiar!? I have been towing a 2010 International 16 without any issues. Sometimes I use an Equalizer Hitch, and sometimes I don't. It tows very well without the Equalizer. I usually keep my highway speed between 60 and 65, and get an average of 15 mpg. I live in the Colorado Rockies where the effective horse power drops significantly, so I think I'm at the limit of my Volvo's capabilities. The XC 90 isn't mentioned often as a TV, but I think it's a good one!
Old 10-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Wilto View Post
I have a 2008 Volvo XC 90 with V8 and purchased it because I had such a good experience with a 2001 XC 70. Sound familiar!? I have been towing a 2010 International 16 without any issues. Sometimes I use an Equalizer Hitch, and sometimes I don't. It tows very well without the Equalizer. I usually keep my highway speed between 60 and 65, and get an average of 15 mpg. I live in the Colorado Rockies where the effective horse power drops significantly, so I think I'm at the limit of my Volvo's capabilities. The XC 90 isn't mentioned often as a TV, but I think it's a good one!
Thanks for the info. Good to hear some real world experience, especially at altitudes.

Do you have the factory hitch? As I understand it the factory towing package includes a transmission cooler. I saw on one message board someone suggesting the factory hitch isn't designed for weight distribution hitches, but I've not found anything to substantiate this.

I wish they still made the International in the 16 length. I like the decor.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
Edwards , Colorado
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Good to hear some real world experience, especially at altitudes.

Do you have the factory hitch? As I understand it the factory towing package includes a transmission cooler. I saw on one message board someone suggesting the factory hitch isn't designed for weight distribution hitches, but I've not found anything to substantiate this.

I wish they still made the International in the 16 length. I like the decor.
I have the factory hitch but it was installed by the dealer. I have a small transmission cooler and when I asked my service advisor about adding a bigger one, he discouraged it. In his opinion, what's there is adequate. I've also heard the hitch isn't designed for weight distribution hitches, but I've read they aren't used in Europe and therefore the Volvo engineers aren't familiar with them. There seems to be a lack of reliable information but lots of opinions on the various sites I've visited.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Traverse City , Michigan
Tomy - One more time, with emphasis: research CanAm RV in Ontario to get a different perspective on towing with your Volvo.

WBCCI #7246
Old 10-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
^ some sound advice.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ml#post1408726
cory_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Tomy - One more time, with emphasis: research CanAm RV in Ontario to get a different perspective on towing with your Volvo.

WBCCI #7246
Oh I did. Got a kick out of the Mini Cooper towing an AS. The side by side with the SOB was enlightening as well.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:12 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory_can View Post
Wow, an XC70 pulling a 34 footer! And a 2008 at that!

I think the auto makers are doing a little CYA with their towing capacities. Only when you get to trucks where it is a major selling point do the marketing departments start to hold sway over the legal departments. It will be great when all the auto makers start adhering to the new SAE standards for towing capacity.

I have to say, my XC90 with the V8 is an absolute joy to drive. It's hard to resist not kicking it to feel the acceleration and hear the throaty growl of the V8.

I was checking my tire pressure today, and these have to be the biggest set of disc brakes I have ever seen.

The Volvo isn't just a bunch of air bags, it even drives safe. You really feel in control, very responsive. In my youth I was quite the sports car enthusiast, and honestly, this car rates up there with some of them on power and handling.

Reading the owners manual is nothing short of amazing. It even has an air quality sensor that will automatically switch to recirculation in the event of contaminates.

You guys should all get a cut of the AS salesman's commission. I'll be buying one this summer.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Tomy,

I am going to offer a different perspective...

I think your Volvo is an excellent vehicle. Very safe and capable (I am a big time Volvo fan). I will stick with the manufacturer tow ratings though. Why?

I have been frequenting this forum for more than a year or two. Most folks that exceed their vehicle's tow ratings reside in Canada. Whats OK/legal in Canada is not necessarily OK/legal in the US and vice-versa. There are folks south of the border that greatly appreciate the under rated tow vehicles. If you look at their profile, many actually own full size pickups (sometimes, diesel/heavy duty versions of it). Could you tow more than what the manufacturer recommends? probably yes. Should you tow more than what the manufacturer recommends? IMO, probably no. But you need to decide this on your own.

In the past year or two, I have seen many folks that tow with under rated tow vehicles. When you ask them about their set up, everything is fine: pulling/stopping power, handling. There seems to be no ill effect on their tow vehicles towing thousands of pounds more than what they are designed to tow. Then after a while, the same folks, suddenly (and quietly) upgrade to a proper tow vehicle for seemingly un-related reasons. My observation has been that under-rated tow vehicles are not a long term solution (unless maybe you tow a small/vintage trailer).

Just my observations.
rostam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
I don't think I would ever consider going over tow ratings. The gray area for me is percentage of manufacturer tow rating, and base weight to fully loaded weight. My wife and I dream of someday full timing, but my youngest is a freshman in high school, and I'm about eleven years away from retirement age. Right now we'd be weekend warriors with a weekends worth of clothing, and maybe a couple of steaks and potatoes, a grill and some lump charcoal, and an aging pug. Kids are old enough to not want to hang out with us, and mature enough to take care of themselves when we want to take a weekend.

I was impulsive and irresponsible in my youth. I've become more methodical in my old age. Had I invested the money that I spent on some of those of the sports cars, I might have been able to retire early.

But by the same token, I could wait eleven years to buy my AS, and drop dead before buying one. I'm fortunate by really a roll of the dice that my retirement is well taken care of, by a pension and completely accidental 401k choices.

My sort of vague plan is getting in an AS as soon as this summer, and over time upgrading both the TV and TT. I've actually been scoping prices of fairly new Airstreams, and the resale value of Airstreams is insane. A car depreciation is exponential, but an AS is closer to linear.

It's just that a pickup is not good for my families needs right now. I actually will have three kids learning how to drive over the next several years, and I want then to be in the safest thing possible.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Laguna Niguel , California
I just went through a similar decision process, we bought a new FC23 with the thought of using our Mercedes ML430 (gas) as TV. Trailer weight loaded with supplies and 1/2 tank of water would be about the same of the MB's tow capacity of 6000#. Most advice said it would be fine, as tow capacity rating of US vehicles is understated. However, I didn't like pushing the envelope on tow rating and I didn't like a 23' trailer with the shorter wheelbase of the ML. Last think I wanted was a fatigued driving experience and I didn't want a 3/4 Pick-up. So we opted for the purchase of a low milage Infinity QX56 with a tow capacity of 9200#. We just completed our first trip of 1900 miles and I'm happy to have made the decision to go with a stronger TV. Flawless experience and in great comfort. We even experienced cross winds of 25-30 mph for over 200 miles with only a slight notice of them. When we stopped for gas and got out of the car I could hardly stand up straight the wind was so strong, but I would have never known it was that bad on the highway, even saw two semis on their side. I suggest a TV with a good 130-150% of gross trailer weight to be safe and comfortable. I also am a believer in anti-sway equalizer hitches. Make your outings a joy.
Revery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revery View Post
I just went through a similar decision process, we bought a new FC23 with the thought of using our Mercedes ML430 (gas) as TV. Trailer weight loaded with supplies and 1/2 tank of water would be about the same of the MB's tow capacity of 6000#. Most advice said it would be fine, as tow capacity rating of US vehicles is understated. However, I didn't like pushing the envelope on tow rating and I didn't like a 23' trailer with the shorter wheelbase of the ML. Last think I wanted was a fatigued driving experience and I didn't want a 3/4 Pick-up. So we opted for the purchase of a low milage Infinity QX56 with a tow capacity of 9200#. We just completed our first trip of 1900 miles and I'm happy to have made the decision to go with a stronger TV. Flawless experience and in great comfort. We even experienced cross winds of 25-30 mph for over 200 miles with only a slight notice of them. When we stopped for gas and got out of the car I could hardly stand up straight the wind was so strong, but I would have never known it was that bad on the highway, even saw two semis on their side. I suggest a TV with a good 130-150% of gross trailer weight to be safe and comfortable. I also am a believer in anti-sway equalizer hitches. Make your outings a joy.
What type of hitch are you using?