Old 04-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Sorry to hear that others have had trouble with Tundras. When my wife and I bought our 2008 CrewMax, we specifically got the 2WD model, because we decided we didn't need 4WD; and Consumer Reports indicated that the 4WD had some kind of problem with the differential or transfer case for the front end.

I don't personally know anyone that has a 4WD Tundra, so I don't know whether these problems actually panned out or whether they still exist. However, our 2WD has been trouble-free for the last three years. The only thing we've had done was routine PMs (oil changes and tire rotations), and put gas in it. We even have the original tires at 36,000 miles, although I can't wait for them to wear out so I can put on some Michelins (it came with BF Goodrich Rugged Trails).

Also, it is strictly stock. The only thing we added was a tonneau cover.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
'08 Front End

Phoenix,

I have an 08 and am one of the lucky ones with the front end growl. Purchased new in 08 and after about 12 k miles Toyota replaced the entire front differential/transfer case. Another 12K miles and the growl returned. They rebuilt the rear differential this time giving me the distinct impression they were grasping at straws. A few thousand more and I took it back but they couldn't hear the growl. Well, it is back now and they hear it and just recently they told me that had "just" engineered the fix. I would have to wait for them to get the new parts in the pipeline. I am on the waiting list. I love my dealer but I am starting to question Toyota in general.

It is now 2011 and I have just 34K on the truck but it still growls at low speeds. Nothing else wrong with the truck but I am getting tired of all of this. I am much like Gene, 6 Toyotas and all of them without issue. The newest one has given me some trouble. I am not ready to jump to a different brand yet.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
I am not ready to jump to a different brand yet.
March Toyota sales were down more than 5% from 2010 while every other manufacturer was up, some a lot. A year ago during the gas pedal thing, Toyota was offering big cuts in prices, so the March number partly reflects that. But over the last year, Toyota sales have not been anywhere as good as other companies.

I have no idea whether this has to do with Toyota owners switching, or people who would have bought a Toyota for the first time, deciding not to. A lot of people buy Toyotas because they have had a reputation for reliability and when that reputation falls, we start thinking about going elsewhere. They don't make sexy vehicles—if we wanted a sexy car, we'd buy an Audi, but they aren't as reliable.

Over the past 20 years reliability of cars has improved tremendously, so a bad car now may be as good as a very good car 20 years ago. The problem with Toyotas is they reached their best days around 10 years ago, sustained it for a while, and then started having problems. It has been posted the Tundra has more American made parts than the "Big 3's" trucks—makes you wonder, doesn't it?

The Consumer Reports survey on vehicles came recently and I will soon be filling out the part on trucks. If I rate the Tundra low I feel better temporarily, but when I rate it low, I hurt my resale value.

aftermath, sorry to hear about your powertrain problems. It doesn't make me feel better about my truck. And Phoenix, I believe arzyflycaster (I think I spelled it wrong) has a 2WD Tundra and he lives in Phoenix too. I don't believe he has had any problems.

Now I have to spend several hours writing a letter to Toyota and I resent having to do that. Toyota doesn't have warranties as long as other companies, but in the past that didn't worry us because they didn't break. Now it is also an issue.

When I spoke to the service manager at the dealer, I asked them if their business had dropped since their Chrysler/Dodge dealership had been revoked a couple of years ago. He said no and he was glad to get rid of them anyway because they were poorly made. But when I told him I thought Toyota fit and finish, especially the interior was not good he didn't disagree.

Gene
Old 04-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Since the advent of minivans and SUVs, pickups have changed from their primarily work-truck role to alternate family vehicle. Our Tundra is a limousine compared to other vans and pickups we've owned, but it's still a truck underneath. Many first time pickup owners complain about the rough ride, noises, difficulty parking, poor fuel economy, etc.; but, hey, it's a truck. Compared to Hal, our old 1978 Chevy crewcab with a 454 V8, a real workhorse; our Tundra is a quiet, smooth riding, powerful, relatively economical, reliable towing beast that easily outperforms Hal. Of course, any new Chevy, Ford or Dodge pickup would probably also put Hal to shame. However, we have been fortunate to avoid some of the Tundra's repair issues.

Assuming Toyota survives all of the problems facing the company, which now includes earth quakes and tsunami's, I'm sure they will eventually fix the 4WD problems. Although, it may be at the owner's expense for out of warranty repairs.

We also own a Generation I Prius, which had it's share of problems in the early years; and Toyota worked through the bugs and made good-faith repairs. In fact, the only out-of-pocket expenses we have had on the Prius besides gas, tires, a 12-volt battery and routine PMs has been a hybrid coolant pump, which cost about $325 (parts and labor); and that vehicle is nine years old. Toyota picked up the tab for a new steering rack, fuel tank/bladder/fuel pump assembly, and a hybrid system printed circuit board, all of which totalled thousands of dollars.

Hopefully, Toyota will do what's right with the Tundra 4WD problems.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:48 PM   #19

Hartford City , Indiana
I have an 07 Tundra 4X4 that I bought almost new with 4,300 miles. After about 20,000 miles it started making a growling noise in the front end. The noise was apparent after using four wheel drive, then switching back to two wheel and driving on pavement. After a few days, the sound would usually cease. After about 40,000 miles, the sound was continuous, but would cease when four wheel drive was engaged on speed. I suspected a lockout was not disengaging and consulted my dealer about it. After some research on both of our parts, a service bullitin was discovered on this issue. The problem was fixed by replacing the bearings and seals in the front differential. My dealer, Toyota of Muncie, IN had the truck for about a week while they tore down the front end and ordered the parts to do the fix. All work was under warranty and they provided a vehicle at no charge during the course of the repairs. This was a major teardown on the front end that I hated to see as this truck was a "virgin" to any intrusive repair work. However, this dealership did a top notch job and fixed it right the first time. The work was done very neatly and there are no leaks after 20,000 miles on the repairs and no signs of the former problem. Hats off to Toyota of Muncie!

I would like to also note a concern I had since I bought it with the motor having a "deisel" sound when it is cold. Apparently this is piston slap that fades once the engine is warm. I was concerned this would lead to short life on the engine however the noise has never gotten worse after almost 70,000 miles, and some of those were hard off road miles on sand dunes. To repeat what someone else said on this issue: "Get in it and drive it... there are no problems related to this noise".

I totally enjoy this truck and hope this helps someone.

Steve
Old 07-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Piston slap is not an issue. You will find MANY cars and trucks with this noise for the first 30 seconds of COLD engine startup. Piston skirts are fitted with the least amount of friction for fuel economy. Piston friction is a BIG energy robber. They are fitted so as the heat up (piston heads are one of the hottest parts of and thus the skirts expand pretty substantially). If they quiet down after 30 seconds or so....no worries. They're fitted properly.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
To continue my story (post 17), I wrote to the president of Toyota North America about problems with the Tundra and some issues with the '06 4Runner—the main one is a 6" long crack in the top of the spoiler. More cheap plastic.

It's been at least 2 months and I have received no reply. Not even a call or note saying "you are crazy, thanks for writing, go away". Not replying gets minus points on my next purchase, but it'll be a year or more before we buy something to replace the 4Runner and 2 or more years for a truck. We'll see what happens by then.

Gene
Old 07-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #22
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Gene if you're going to buy in a couple years that will give a good time for the Ecoboost production to settle in, and a couple years of reliability surveys to go on.

At least my read of the full size truck reliability is there are no mfg that are deviating too far from the averages at this time.

I bought my Tundra because it had been in production 5 years, the powerful 5.7, good experience w/ my '04 Camry, and a gut feeling that this model will have a good service record when its 5-10 years old.

All kinds of new production facilities were ramped up in US when the big Tundra was introduced. Getting all these suppliers online can be rough, like a restaurant chain which expands too fast. The one part which failed on my US built Camry was a power steering hose, with some US supplier name stamped on it. It was of faulty material and porous, and was seeping fluid.

But its not unique to Toyota. All the mfg are ramping up production facilities at each model changeover. The Ford 6.7 diesel in Mx. is one example (and most indications are its relatively successful). Its my belief to wait for a while so the process is a well oiled machine and not buy early production.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Toyota used to make sure parts, wherever purchased, were as bullet proof as possible. In their rush to be #1 in the world, they expanded too fast and their QC system was stretched too thin. The results of that were showing up in the mid-'00's and they promised to rectify the situation. They didn't.

The gas pedal thing focused on them and perhaps wrongly so far as the actual problem. Studies show old guys with auto transmissions are most likely to hit the wrong pedal and then keep pressing as hard as possible sure their foot is on the brake. Other people do this as well sometimes. When I wear work boots rather than my usual sneakers, my foot becomes wider and I have hit the gas pedal instead of the brake in our 4Runner—I think the pedals are too close together. Toyota screwed up on this by looking guilty and trying to cover up. Have they gotten the message they are not invincible? Have they improved their QC? Are they getting their suppliers to make better products? Time will tell.

The Ford Ecoboost is interesting and is too new to know about reliability. From what I can gather from another thread and PM's, direct injection can have problems which may show up over time, and there may be frame issues, though the frame issues may have been caused by crazy driving.

I have a rule which I have violated more than once—never buy a vehicle in its first year or two of production. I bought the Tundra at the end of the first year (partial violation) because I needed a bigger truck and it was still more reliable than the competition and had great specs. I also bought a 1969 Saab 99 in its first year—that awful experience made me institute the rule.

I'm waiting for better gas mileage, but the federally required increase doesn't take effect for longer than I will wait. But manufacturers are going to be producing better mileage sooner rather than later—Ford is 1st with a large pickup and will have a track record by 2013. Let's hope it is not another Exploder or cruise control that catches fire or the other Ford disasters of the recent past. GM has to do something fast and they have new executives that understand the present, so the question is whether they can do design and testing fast—the old GM took forever to respond and then responded badly. The 2nd gen. Tundra came out in late 2006, had a minor upgrade in 2010 and is really due for a major change. It may not come until 2013. Will there be a diesel? A 3/4 ton? Turbo? Comfortable seats? Better payload? A big gas tank?

We get itchy for a new vehicle at least a year before we buy one and we try to watch what is going on. We talk about what is out there. Is a Subaru Forester a good change from a 4Runner? Maybe something sporty? A hybrid (still overpriced and the Prius is ugly, and not good ugly like the old VW's)? And will the economy be better and I can make some money in the stock market to pay for a new vehicle?

Gene
Old 07-10-2011, 11:26 AM   #24
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
We just finished a 3300 mile round trip tow and could not have been more pleased with my 07 Tundra.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	339.2 KB
ID:	134404  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote