Old 03-29-2007, 04:31 PM   #71
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
I have yet to test drive or even see one in person, but form what I see, I like. Yes the styling is a little edgy, but for those to say it's ugly clearly haven't been looking at the massive new shnoze of the big Fords. Poor truck was truly beaten with the ugly stick. Toyota interiors generally won't win any design awards with their conservative styling, but from what I have seen the controls appear to be logically laid out while not being too overbearing (have you ever seen the interior of a VW Touareg at night? It's like flying a 747). Interior finish is also supposed to be MUCH inproved from the previous plastic-y finished that plagued previous Tundra and Tacoma models.

In any case, I'm waiting for a diesel version. I'm done buying gasoline vehicles.
I have seen one in person. The interior looks like last year's F150 and has all the warmth, personality, and comfort of the inside of a refrigerator... with chrome racks. The exterior is large and not particularly stylish.

The first iteration of Tundra was more stylish and had a pleasant feel. At least the plastic in the interior was color matched injection-molded rather than silver painted.

I had been excited about seeing them when they first were announced. Frankly now after seeing one, I think the Chevy is king of the hill in the new truck lines. I'll undoubtedly keep my '02 Tundra for a long while.

Roger

Old 03-29-2007, 08:05 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Aptos , California
Hi all--thought I'd make an introductory post and weigh in on the new Tundra at the same time. I picked up a new 5.7 6sp Dual Cab 2 WD about a month ago, and have been driving it for work in addition to having towed our 25' Safari FB about 800 miles. This is my third Toyota--I had a 2000 Tundra prior to this--and worked it hard in my contracting business for 100k miles. The only problems with the truck were warped rotors and a bad starter solenoid--and poor gas milage (13-14 MPG) But I haul dump trailers all the time that can weigh up to 7-8k (no weight distribution or sway control) and the truck never broke. We live in hilly country with really bad roads, and the truck was burdened with tool boxes and a lumber rack. Had a couple of Chevys in the past with a fair amount of problems, although I think GM has made huge gains in the reliability department. But the decision to buy the new Toyota was based less on reliability than on some other factors that were important to me, though I did look at the new Silverado and the Fords in the process. I was mainly looking for something that would comfortably tow our trailer and still be tolerable as a daily driver and a work truck. This ruled out the 3/4 tons and the diesels, though if our trailer were much bigger I might be forced to go there. The Tundra works very well as a tow vehicle for the Safari. Very steady at all speeds and a lot of power in the hills. The engine is remarkable--the proverbial iron fist in a velvet glove, while still making 10-12 MPG towing and 16 MPG around town. The 6 speed transmission is always in the right gear, and the first gear is like a granny for pulling the 22% grade to our house.
The truck is very solid and rattle-free, and the interior seems contemporary without being too car-like. The interior of my truck is grey, which seems to integrate better with the other materials. The back-up camera makes off angle hook-ups a breeze, and once you have blue tooth for your cell phone you'll never go back to one-handed driving. It doesn't ride as smoothly as the previous Tundra, but about 500 pounds of equipment in the bed makes a big difference. So far I am very happy with the truck, but I have to admit those new Silverados and GMC's look pretty nice.
Also had a positive review from my wife (janetb) who towed our trailer to the Western Women's Rally last weekend. This was her first ever solo (about 500 miles round trip) and she felt very confident with the whole set up.

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	34825  

Old 03-29-2007, 08:52 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
She didn't tell me....go figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollertoaster
Hi all--thought I'd make an introductory post and weigh in on the new Tundra at the same time. I picked up a new 5.7 6sp Dual Cab 2 WD about a month ago, and have been driving it for work in addition to having towed our 25' Safari FB about 800 miles. Also had a positive review from my wife (janetb) who towed our trailer to the Western Women's Rally last weekend. This was her first ever solo (about 500 miles round trip) and she felt very confident with the whole set up.
Terry
Hi Terry,

Welcome to the forum world, after reading your post carefully, I figured out my other half was at the womens gig with your wife. So I just turned to her and said "you didn't tell me one of the ladies had a new Tundra". As a car guy I am always "looking" at the new rigs. We pull the same AS with our F250PSD and I have been waiting to see if the new breed of 1/2 tons are getting to where they can do the job safely and comfortably. I have driven the new Tundra, both Doule Cab and Crew Max with the 5.7/6spd and was impressed with the power and overall smoothness of the powertrain. I am looking forward to further update from you on your Tundra/Safari 25FB combination.

John
Old 03-29-2007, 09:39 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Not her fault! I was tucked into the edge of the wagon circle and she was way too busy saving lives (or sanities...) and making sure the wine was palatable.
But the Tundra did serve me well, and after hating to drive all the other trucks we've had, I felt I could get into a very safe driving position with this one. I'm 5'4'' and needed to get the seat high enough, and my feet secure on the pedals without being too close to the steering wheel. It was easy to do, and, most importantly, I had great visibility out of the windows and mirrors. Helped my confindence tremendously.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:16 AM   #75
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Not surprising. I have always felt that the truck market will be the toughest challenge for the foreign manufacturers. Pickup divers are the most brand loyal, some as much as bikers. I am sure the foreigners will try everything they can to increase market share, but as the Market Watch article stated, it is more likely the increase will come at the expense of their own product line. You can sell a Toyota truck to a Toyota guy; you can sell a Nissan truck to a Nissan guy. But you can’t sell any of those to a “Truck” guy…

With the price penalty of the new Toyota (for the price of a ½ ton you can buy a domestic ¾ ton) and with GM’s new 100k mile warranty-why would you buy foreign?

I like my GM’s, and feel they are a good value. I don’t really like to put down any of the other brands, to each his own. Truth is you would be hard pressed to find anything on a lot now-a-days that isn’t well built. Having said that, I will agree with some of the previous posts; I saw the new Toyota at the local RV show this winter, and I also think the interior felt…well, kinda small, plastic, and I don’t know-kid like? (Maybe contemporary is a better word)? Something just didn’t click. Maybe I’m just gettin’ old…
I came away thinking; are they sure this is full size?
Or, 7/8 size like the last model year?

I don’t doubt it will be as reliable as anything else out there. I personally could not justify buying one of these over the domestics if I ever needed a ½ ton …
Old 03-30-2007, 08:25 AM   #76
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Frankly now after seeing one, I think the Chevy is king of the hill in the new truck lines. I'll undoubtedly keep my '02 Tundra for a long while.

Roger
Well, well, well Rog....in my book, hell froze over, heated up, froze over and heated up today....never, in my wildest would I EVER think I'd hear this comin' from you.....now if I can just get you to switch political parties, you may just be ok afterall!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollertoaster
The back-up camera makes off angle hook-ups a breeze, Terry
Great looking truck and trailer......does the back-up camera come as an option on the new Tundra? thanks, pj
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:22 PM   #78
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Well, well, well Rog....in my book, hell froze over, heated up, froze over and heated up today....never, in my wildest would I EVER think I'd hear this comin' from you.....now if I can just get you to switch political parties, you may just be ok afterall!
Hey, I buy features and longevity for the dollars. Our stable currently holds an '02 Tundra, the '00 Excursion, an '06 Honda Civic, and an '01 Chevy S10!

Roger
Old 03-30-2007, 05:59 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Saw the new 07 Tundra. My step-side is still way sexier.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	34867