Old 03-17-2007, 08:00 AM   #57
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Tundra

I truly believe the Tundra is up to par.I believe it does have the power.My VW Touareg has less power and does exceptionally very well.I like the way it looks also.I like change and that is good.I feel this truck is built very well.
I know a lot of people are going to go against it like they do when I am pulling with the Touareg but that is ok.Everyone feels differently about what others drive anyways.
I dont have a Tundra yet but I will be going to talk to my friend and see if I can borrow the truck to pull my Airstream around for a while to see how it does and what I need to do.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:50 AM   #58
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have to say that if it were me, knowing how nice the Tundra is, that new 2500HD is a REAL winner. It's what GM should have done years ago. For that one really has to thank the Toyota and Nissan folks for that.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:00 AM   #59
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
Send a message via AIM to wannastream Send a message via Yahoo to wannastream
JanetB,

Thanks for the input on this...I've been curious to hear from someone who has this new model and is towing at least a 25' AS. A few questions for you just how loaded are you all when you tow your trailer? How loaded is the truck, the trailer? Have you had a chance to tow in some incline situations yet? Also did you get Toyota's heaviest duty towing equipment package too or just the standard towing? Sorry about so many questions but one more...how's the mileage so far in general (non-towing) use?

I've not completely ruled out the new Tundra yet. Sure I don't like the design aesthetic as much but that would not stop me from buying one. I've had good luck with all my Toyota vehicles to date and that coupled with the six speed tranny in that 1/2 ton is a big positive. Once Toyata begins to discount and rebate a bit on these, if I've not bought another make, I'll be back looking at these units.

Devoman,

If you get to pull your AS with that 'O7 Tundra will you post back your experience here? I'm curious to hear more on a 1/2 ton truck of this capability towing a mid size AS like yours.

Thanks,

Bill
How I treasure every minute, being part of, being in it, with the urge to move on"
wannastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:48 AM   #60
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
You Bet

You bet I will.I would like to feel it for myself how that thing pulls.
About the rebates.I dont know when or if but from what my friend told me he said to wait a about 6 months before I get one so there will be bigger rebates.I am not going to quote him on it because that is Toyota deal but He does know what he is talking about.
I am going to wait it out until he tells me a good time to purchase from his dealership.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:17 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
I have yet to test drive or even see one in person, but form what I see, I like. Yes the styling is a little edgy, but for those to say it's ugly clearly haven't been looking at the massive new shnoze of the big Fords. Poor truck was truly beaten with the ugly stick. Toyota interiors generally won't win any design awards with their conservative styling, but from what I have seen the controls appear to be logically laid out while not being too overbearing (have you ever seen the interior of a VW Touareg at night? It's like flying a 747). Interior finish is also supposed to be MUCH inproved from the previous plastic-y finished that plagued previous Tundra and Tacoma models.

In any case, I'm waiting for a diesel version. I'm done buying gasoline vehicles.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:44 AM   #62
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
The Audi Q7 will be out in a year or so. The 3.0 V6 diesel generates 230 hp and 369 lb.-ft. (500 Nm) of torque, which is available at 1,400 rpm.

The Q7’s 5.9-liter V-12 makes a massive 500 horsepower and 738 pound-feet of torque.

The wheel base will be 6" longer than your T-Reg.

For car lovers the 2009 Cadillac CTS available in Europe will get a 2.9 state of the art oil-burner with 250 horsepower and a whopping 406 lb-ft of torque, The Caddy might just be fun to drive and tow too.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #63
Rivet Master

I driven the Q7. Too ugly, too expensive and you can't offroad it. For less or the same than I can get a lightly equipped Q7, I can get a fully loaded V10 TDI Touareg. The V10 is a BLAST to drive. VW will have their 3.0L V6 TDI diesel Touareg here in late 08 to early 09, same specs as the Q7 diesel. The V6 TDI will be a fantastic engine, and I will probably own one when they come out.

But I'm not sure I want to go German again for my main tow vehicle. The payload capabilities of a truck are just too attractive these days. I've got two dogs, strollers, coolers, etc that could be sitting in the back of the pickup bed instead of crammed inside the back of a SUV. The Tundra won't be quite as nimble as the Touareg offroad, but it will stil be capable enough for a couple of mountain runs.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:54 AM   #64
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Touareg

If you all want to see what the Touareg can do.Check out Westfalias Signature sites.He has done way more than I have with this Vehicle and has way more expirience with this offroading and such.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:55 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Devo, when are we going to get you out west for a little romp in the dirt???
Old 03-17-2007, 11:10 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
Send a message via AIM to wannastream Send a message via Yahoo to wannastream
yeah, I've looked

Westfalia,

You bet I've looked at the Ford vehicles, and the SuperDuty trucks are not great looking, probably on par with the new Tundra in terms of exterior styling.

The Tundra's interior is not well laid out, you'll see when you drive it. Also the interior has a lot of shiny black plastic and silvery plastic arranged in this odd sort of two dash motif. It's not the worst but not on par with the interior of Ford's F-150 series or even GM's new interiors. Now I'm not talking buld quality here they are all about the same now. The new GM interiors are much, much improved in terms of quality and functionality. Ford has been a leader in quality functional design for a good while and their up-trimmed F-150s (current gen.) show it.

But for me I'd not buy the Ford for other reasons. I'm in the market for a new full size truck and the new GM line is my favorita and the new Toyota a close second. I'm not in love with the new Silverado exterior, it's ok. But the new GMC is nicely done, in and out. I just wish they'd have put the six speed tranny in the 1/2 ton. I think two more gears coupled with the active fuel management would have been on sweet rig. Maybe now that Toyota showed up with a six speed in a 1/2 ton, GM will opt to put their sweet six speed_in_theirs.
How I treasure every minute, being part of, being in it, with the urge to move on"
wannastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 11:41 AM   #67
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Dirt Rompin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
Devo, when are we going to get you out west for a little romp in the dirt???
We are trying to get things together to do this in the future.Also we will only be able to do it during the months of november 1st to febuary 28th.I work a lot during the rest of the months.When we do though,I will give you a heads up for sure.I really want to take this thing out into some rough terrain and desert racing.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:52 AM   #68
_

. , .
with much anticipation,

i spent 3 hours with a new tundra recently.

it is clearly a solid 1/2 ton contender now.

should make 4 many happy owners.

might be the ideal next tv for devoman...

as predicted back here...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...2-post108.html

for towing less than 200 miles and seldom above 200 feet.

i agree the dash isn't user friendly,

and the interior materials are just average...

not like the other upscale toyota products.

it felt like a dodge or ge'em from 10 years past and not in a good way.

most interior surfaces DID look and feel like the "plastic-y" interiors from past models.

the nissan is much much nicer than the toyota inside.

ge'em has nailed their interior styiing. basically identical to 1998-2002 audis.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/219452-post5.html

toyotas are known to be rattle free and tightly finished. the 2 i pawed were not.

the brakes are beefy, but the rear diff case, and leaf springs are wimpy looking...

the springs and rear shackles have an odd design that again looks weak...

the reciever is nice but attaches on the sides fo the rails and has to go around the shackels...

again odd. mostly these issues look2b from space constraints and 'short rails'.

the mirrors are not large enough 4me and the back seat once folded isn't spacious.

trucks are great multipurpose vehicles. 1/2 tons rule 4 combining tasks...

still IF your travel trailer is approaching 8,000 lbs AND lots of towing is required,

the 3/4 ton bones and a diesel heart are noticeably better at the task...

cheers
2air'

i'll post some pics of the 'yota soon.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:16 AM   #69
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Some more reading on the newest trucks;

PickupTruck.Com - Tundra Falls Short in NHTSA Crash Test Ratings
Old 03-29-2007, 03:25 PM   #70
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
FWIW....

Toyota adds more incentives to boost Tundra sales - MarketWatch

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote