Old 01-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Clayton , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowolf
You can have my F250 when you can pry my cold dead fingers off the wheel.
Well, with Ford vehicles tendancy to go up in flames one way or another........ careful what you wish for.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
That is looking pretty nice. Toyota keeps calling us and asking us to trade in our 04' Tundra and are giving us all kinds of incentives to make a move on a new truck...I wonder if the same will still happen once they release this.

I like the 10,800 towing capacity they are talking about...That should be more than enough for our 21'...has a nice little reversing hitch camera with the towing package also...I love doo dads!

NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #45
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That seems like a pretty impressive engine. 381hp out of a 5.7L and over 400 ft/lbs of torque. Nice rear end too if I read it right. I'll have to take a closer look when I have some time. Anyone hear what the EPA stats are for the 5.7?
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:42 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Detroit Update

Tundra's key bragging points:
•Red, white, blue: It's the first Toyota done completely outside Japan. Styled in California, developed in Michigan, manufactured in Indiana and Texas; engines from Alabama, transmissions from North Carolina. Toyota will emphasize the American roots to overcome conservative truck buyers' resistance to import brands.
• Crew cab: Tundra CrewMax has more back seat room than any other standard-duty crew-cab except the Dodge Ram Mega Cab. And that's built on a heavy-duty chassis, so "it's a stretch" to call the Ram Mega Cab standard-duty, says Scott Kunselman, Ram chief engineer.
He's not surprised at Tundra's big crew cab. In research for Mega Cab, "people were telling us they want to put people and luggage back there," Kunselman says. "We thought we'd see something like that on the (2007 Chevrolet) Silverado, but the redesign probably was too far along" for Chevy to enlarge the cab and still meet the on-sale deadline.
Tundra's back seat slides fore and aft, unique among pickups. That allows occupants to tilt the back rest for comfort. Tundra claims more than 44 inches of rear legroom vs. 39 to 40 typical in crew cabs, and says there's about the same storage space behind the back seats as in the trunk of a small car, even when the seats are shoved all the way back.
• Powertrain: The big V-8 gets a six-speed automatic transmission, rare among big trucks. That big engine is a 5.7-liter V-8 rated 381 horsepower and 401 pounds-feet of torque. It trumps rivals' biggest gasoline engines, including the well-known Dodge Hemi (345 hp, 370 lbs.-ft.), General Motors VortecMax 6-liter (367 hp, 375 lbs.-ft.), and the Nissan Endurance V-8 (317 hp, 385 lbs-ft.)
•Towing, hauling: Toyota says Tundra tows up to 10,800 pounds, tops among standard-duties. But that's the three-passenger regular-cab model with special equipment. The popular models, Double Cab and CrewMax, come close, though, with special equipment — 10,100 to 10,600 pounds, according to Toyota.
For comparison, Silverado and similar GMC Sierra crew cabs are rated to tow up to 10,500 pounds, and have room for five or six passengers.
Toyota says Tundra can tote up to 2,060 pounds. Again, that's the regular cab. Extended- and crew-cab Tundras that most people will buy haul much less — 1,465 to 1,755 pounds, according to Toyota.
For comparison: Chevy and GMC crew cabs give you back seats and nearly the same payload as the Tundra regular cab — 2,010 or 2,039 pounds. Ford says a specially equipped version of its F-150 regular cab is good for 3,020 pounds.
Helping Toyota portray the '07 Tundra as a serious truck, major snowplow makers have said they will offer a full-size, 7 1/2-foot-wide plow for Tundra. And hitch makers say they will sell so-called fifth-wheel trailer hitches to fit the 5 1/2-foot-long cargo bed of the Tundra Crew Max, even though such hitches typically aren't used on beds shorter than about 6 1/2-feet long or on standard-duty trucks.
• Features: Models with column-mounted gearshifts have a manual-shift switch; manual control isn't limited to models with floor shifters.
Later this year, you'll be able to get a backup camera system without buying the expensive navigation setup.
The console holds a laptop or hanging files so contractors and business users can keep their information with them.
Center seating spot on the front bench seat has its own lap-shoulder safety belt, something not found in other pickups.
Side and head-curtain airbags are standard in all models, as are automatic limited-slip differential and anti-skid control.
Toyota says it hasn't decided what features that usually are options should be made standard in the expectation that 95% of buyers would choose them anyway.
Where Tundra's vulnerable:
•Diesel: Not available. Other makers offer diesels, which use less fuel and have more pulling power, in their heavy-duty pickup lines.
Toyota says it will "study it very carefully." because of "many customer requests," says Michael O'Brien, in charge of Toyota product planning in the U.S.
•Bed length: CrewMax surrenders a few inches of cargo length to get the commodious back seat.
•Alternative fuel: A version that will run on E85 ethanol fuel is under development, but not yet ready. Other automakers sell E85-compatible trucks, which are popular in the Midwest where the corn is grown that's distilled into the ethanol that makes up E85.
Toyota said Tundra?s optional 5.7-liter V-8 will be modified to run on E85 ethanol fuel next year for the 2009 model year. ?It?s a growing trend,? says Jim Press, president of Toyota Motor North America. ?A lot of the flex-fuel market is in the Midwest,? where lots of trucks are sold, he noted. E85 is 85% grain alcohol, or ethanol, and 15% gasoline. Most ethanol is made from corn, grown mainly in the Midwest.
•Frame: Only the front half is fully boxed, a description that implies the sturdiest type of construction. The rest is so-called C-channel construction. Competitors who make greater use of boxed rails will say the Tundra frame could twist and sag easier.
Toyota says there's no need for the extra weight of fully boxed rails on some parts of the frame. Adding that weight would cut into the truck's payload capacity without improving the ride, handling, safety or durability, the car company contends.
Fuel economy ratings:
• 4-liter V-6 base engine, available only with rear-wheel drive (rwd), is rated 17 miles per gallon in town, 20 on the highway.
• 4.7-liter V-8 is rated 15/18 in both rwd and four-wheel drive (4wd) versions.
• 5.7-liter V-8 is 16/20 with rwd, 14/18 with 4wd.

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:55 PM   #47
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think the specs look good...I'm wondering why they didn't go with a box frame all around? If I'm yankin 10k of trailer behind me, a box frame is a bit more sturdy. Then again, this is starting to sound like a more robust 1/2 ton truck than has been offered in the past.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 01-09-2007, 04:02 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Suisun City , California
Ditto

I hear ya "Twink!"

I wonder why they didn't just bite the bullet and go all the way to a 1 ton model? With diesel!!

Jerry and Avis
2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2005 Toyota Tacoma PU

"Mi Casa Es Su Casa!"
WBCCI #6716
AIR #17388
Roscinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:08 PM   #49
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I guess they had a market they were looking to get...it doesn't sound like a bad truck and I have a 5.7 that's got close to those specs....great power, but I too had a C frame in the middle.....maybe a full box was just too much?

I see diesel is on their mind....who knows, there could be different flavor Tundras in the future 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton. Doesn't really take all that much IMHO to make the real bump, but then again, it's easy to be a couch coach.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:50 PM   #50
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Dually Truck

Just got back from talking to a friend of mine and he told me that toyota is in the works for the dually.He does not know when they will be out or what is really going on with the deal but he told me that he just was told they had to upgrade there service lifts to handle bigger trucks than the Tundra.(Around 15.000 lbs or more.)If you are wondering how I got this.He owns a Toyota dealership.
I was just at the beach surfing and he was there also with one of the new trucks.He showed me a lot of stuff and I can really say that this vehicle is very nice.
He also told me to wait about 6 more months and Toyota will start throwing rebates out there.
I am going to do that because I think I will be getting one of these if everything goes right.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:39 PM   #51
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
Just got back from talking to a friend of mine and he told me that toyota is in the works for the dually.He does not know when they will be out or what is really going on with the deal but he told me that he just was told they had to upgrade there service lifts to handle bigger trucks than the Tundra.(Around 15.000 lbs or more.)If you are wondering how I got this.He owns a Toyota dealership.
I was just at the beach surfing and he was there also with one of the new trucks.He showed me a lot of stuff and I can really say that this vehicle is very nice.
He also told me to wait about 6 more months and Toyota will start throwing rebates out there.
I am going to do that because I think I will be getting one of these if everything goes right.

Interesting, your Buddy must have better sources than Autoweek (see the note about Yota at the end of the article...)

Larger Titan Trashed - AutoWeek
Old 03-16-2007, 03:59 PM   #52
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Truck

Yea...Maybe he does know something I dont know.I am just telling what he has told me so far.I will more than likely see him on the beach again as always and I will ask him if he knows something about it and what is happening.I just know that he had told me that they just ordered some larger lifts for something like this.They are a very large dealership and do very well so I think what he says has some truth.
If I dont see him sooner I planned on going up to the dealership to talk to him anyways so I will try and see if I can find out some more things.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 11:48 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
Send a message via AIM to wannastream Send a message via Yahoo to wannastream
But will it suffice?

Devoman,

I've driven one of the '07 Tundra's. I generally liked it, had nice power, and the build quality was pretty darn nice. I did think it was ugly, and the dash was a bit unorganized, but it is certainly a full size truck contender.

I ended up driving the new GM trucks and much to my surprise liked them better than the Tundra and they were much less costly.

But I was wondering about your 25' AS. Do you think this truck will pull your rig with ease? I know it will pull it, but what about tough inclines, etc?
Do you think this truck will have enough "power gravy" to see you through the tough towing extremes? According to a lot of folks who use this forum an AS of 25' or more should have a 3/4 ton.

Toyota is not building a 3/4 ton in the Tundra (yet) and its tow rating and GCVW are not quite in the 3/4 ton category.

Thanks,

Bill
How I treasure every minute, being part of, being in it, with the urge to move on"
wannastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 12:12 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
We have the new Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 2WD and we love it. It pulls our 25' Safari w/no problems, and we've put it through all the paces, except those involving extreme weather and clearly unsafe conditions. We obviously don't think it's ugly, and it's an amazingly comfortable ride.
So there you have it from a satisfied owner.
Janet
Old 03-17-2007, 12:23 AM   #55
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetb
We have the new Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 2WD and we love it. It pulls our 25' Safari w/no problems, and we've put it through all the paces, except those involving extreme weather and clearly unsafe conditions. We obviously don't think it's ugly, and it's an amazingly comfortable ride.
So there you have it from a satisfied owner.
Janet
Congratulations on the new truck. I am waiting for my dealer to call me when the right truck with the right features hits the lot. I have a 03 Tundra now and I have test driven the 07. It is a very nice truck.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:02 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
According to the WSJ, $1500 factory authorized rebates on Tundras are already being offered at a number of dealerships. I still believe that the majority of new Tundra owners will come from current Toyota owners rather than cutting into Ford, Dodge, GMC or Chey market share.