Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
astrocaver

1986 25' Sovereign
Denver , Colorado
2007 F-150 transmission cooler

I just lost my transmission at 107,000 miles. Should I be upgrading the trans cooler?
astrocaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #2
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocaver View Post
I just lost my transmission at 107,000 miles. Should I be upgrading the trans cooler?
Yes. Once the transmission burns up there is debris in the cooler that can be nearly impossible to flush out. Most rebuilders will not warranty the new trans if the old cooler is not replaced. Some, including Ford dealers, will install a Magnafine filter on the line that goes into the trans to catch the crap but that is a half a**ed way to do it IMHO.

Definitely go with a bigger cooler, and I wouldn't even think of towing without an after market transmission temp gauge or at least an Android based OBDII monitor that can monitor trans temps.

If you can't find a bigger cooler from Ford the Tru Cool units are good, I put one on my Chevy Express and it keeps it around 170. It is advisable to get the thermostat as well to prevent over cooling. If the temp doesn't get hot enough you won't burn off condensation. A Ford transmission engineer I know says 170-190 is ideal.

On my 7.3 diesel I installed a new cooler made for the 6.0. It is much, much bigger than the OEM and it bolted right on. I included a Derale 180 degree thermostat and an Isspro transmission temp gauge as the Ford in dash gauge is really nothing but a glorified idiot light that goes to hot at something like 260 degrees if I recall, by then there is already damage. I can also monitor the temps with Torque Pro.

If you replace the OTA cooler do NOT bypass the radiator cooler (oil to water or OTW). Run them both just be sure the system is flushed very well and a Magnefine can be added for extra insurance but not as a band aid for a poor flush job.