Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2010, 01:11 PM   #1

Colorado Springs , Colorado
2007 Escalade AWD - Noob!!

Hey there,
Noob when it comes to trailers and towing. New to the forums and trying to get a better understanding of what our Escalade can handle with respect to towing. We're interesting in purchasing an older Airstream (likely a 70s model). In fact, going to check out a 1971 31' listed for $7500.00. We don't want to spend more than $14K, but don't want to buy something for $7K that needs $7K worth of work.

My concerns are:
1. Is 31' way too much trailer/coach for an AWD Escalade?
2. Should we be looking for something around 25'?
3. With 31' do we limit ourselves to KOA or private campgrounds? We'd like to check out Colorado's state parks, but don't want to get turned around before we get in the place(s).

Looking at our owners manual, it appears our truck has capacity to tow 8100lbs, which seems like a lot. I understand you have to factor in occupants, gear, etc as well. Then there's tongue weight, grr!

Thanks in advance (sorry to ramble on),
Mike
07caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:22 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Your '07 Escalade can probably handle a vintage 31 footer. they are generally lighter per foot than the late model Airstreams. You can probably tow 7000# without any major problems, but you may need to do a few things to your Escalade.

You will definitely want a transmission fluid cooler. You will also want tires of a sufficient load range to handle the load.

You also need to start researching high quality weight distribution/sway control hitch systems and trailer brake controllers.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #3

Brian,
Thanks for the information about weight distribution/sway control hitch system and trailer brake controls. I was told by a dealer in town our truck is pre-wired for trailer brakes, but I'll have to follow up on this ... read the manual some more. As far as a transmission cooler, is this something an RV repair place could put in? And I guess I need to check the load range of our tires. They are like 20" and my guess is they are more for performance than towing...ugh!

Mike
Old 04-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Even though the Escalade is wired for trailer brakes, you will still need to install a trailer brake controller unit. Your vehicle should have come with a trailer brake controller wiring pig tail that plugs into a special outlet under the dash near the steering column. The trailer brake controller is wired into this pigtail.

The transmission fluid cooler is probably best installed by a reputable automotive shop.

Also check the weight rating for your 20" wheel. Sometimes the fancy over-sized wheels on new SUV's are not rated to carry a heavy loads or tow heavy trailers. Also, I don't know if you will be able to find load range D (8 ply) or load range E (10 ply) tires for 20" designer wheels.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:16 PM   #5

Yeah, I did some research on trailer brake controller unit and will have one installed this week. Also read that our vehicle may have come with a transmission cooler, but I suppose it probably isn't heavy duty.

As for the wheels and tires, it could prove to be problematic. It's not like we have spinner rims/wheels like gangstas/crackheads, lol! They are just larger rims with some very pricey tires. Gonna investigate that tonight when I get home.

Thanks for your inputs as they are very helpful.

Mike
Old 04-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Check in behind the grille. Typically GM puts the cooler in on their premium vehicles and is an option on others. You can tell immed by looking behind the grille and you'll see a small radiator about 9-11" wide and 6" tall with two pipes under it.

If it's not there, you might consider having a dealer install an OEM one.

Here is a link to what the cooler may look like and what I replaced it with:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...des-51433.html
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Mike
Do a little research on da Esculade. If the dealer says its wired, it may have a plug under the dash that you can buy a pig-tail Plug that will plug into that harness,and U just wire in the controler. I have not kept up with GM ,but Ford comes with the wiring all installed.I just went to the Rv dealer and bought the harness and Controller and mounted it all myself and saved $150 bucks.It was PLUG AND Play. Now my Ford already had the outlet under the rear bumper and the hitch already mounted.
Also there were some recalls on GM factory hitches,someone here who is more knowledgeable than I can inform you of what yrs were recalled for poor welds. Also the tires may have to go if they are not at least 8 to 10 ply.Please also check as some one has suggested the weight bearing figures of those designer rims. They were not meant to haul weight.
GOOD LUCK
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I saw this combo at a recent rally. The trailer is a triple axle 34 footer...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4114.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	381.7 KB
ID:	101355  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
YYC , Alberta
Having an 07 GMC Denali XL, I have a similar setup...same aux transmission cooler, hitch and connector in the back...and supposedly prewired for trailer brakes for plug and play.

I had a trailer brake controller installed last week...not plug and play, I saw them wired it (Tekonsha Prodigy) into the fuse box and when questionsed they said it isn't plug and play...so...

Also, I assume the Escalade has rear levelling suspension. I am in the middle of doing more research on how that interacts with the equalizer bars.

We are towing a 27", with the same 6.2L engine (although we're rated at 7900lbs). I think we could handle a 31ft, and who knows maybe we'll want that extra room down the road...and I think for that era of large ones, you should be good. I've heard the longer wheelbase (Escalade ESV) is a bit better especially with those longer trailers, but if you have the right setup behind you I think you should be fine for that year.

Also, the hitch you want to get will be at least a 2" or 3" drop..we found out when hooking up ours (at the previous owners) for the first time, and the hitch he had was a level hitch and our '79 was way too high.

Also, CIPA makes custom towing mirrors that slide over the exsisting mirrors. They cost a premium but are likely worth it.

Hope that helps...good luck!
lbrownah is offline   Reply With Quote