Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
2006 Land Rover LR3 HSE

I've found a low millage one of these for sale locally. It has a rated towing capacity of 7716. But I was shocked by two things. One, apparently the manual advises against WD hitches. I then noticed that the rated tongue weight is only 550.

Is this a deficiency of the factory hitch? Would an aftermarket hitch provide better specs?
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 04:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Lots of towing talk about these vehicles here.....

Airstream Forums - Search Results
Old 10-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
If the maximum hitch weight is only rated at 550 lbs., that is a pretty good indicator that all they want you to pull is a utility trailer with a lawn mower on it.

I would steer clear of that particular vehicle for a host of reasons. In particular, you would need a second LR3 to use while the primary one was in the shop being repaired. The LR3 has to be just about the least reliable vehicle made, probably why there is "such a good deal" on it.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:45 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Thanks for the info. I see now the reliability complaints. I'll look elsewhere.
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:08 PM   #5
Tom and Phyllis

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Tuscaloosa , Alabama
I really like these vehicles. I purchased my Discovery new in 2003 and have been everywhere in it. About two weeks ago it failed me for the very first time in 12 years. It quit and had to be towed. I have had it repaired and would depend on it to take me anywhere. Matter of fact we depart Alabama for Ft. Bragg, NC in about two weeks puling a 23ft FB Flying Cloud. Again, the LR has pulled this AS to the beach a few times, to Ft. Campbell, KY twice and to Ft. Bragg back in January. I use WD and anti-sway (friction). There has been plenty of power and I drive about 60-65 mph. The stiff suspension of this vehicle gives it the stability in addition to the 18 inch Yokohama tires. The suspension is coil springs, not air ride. We have reservations at AlumaFeista in Tucson in January. We will see you there.
LD Valley w/ 800 lb trunion bars
Honda eu3000is & 2200 generator
Lucky Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Tom View Post
I really like these vehicles. I purchased my Discovery new in 2003 and have been everywhere in it. About two weeks ago it failed me for the very first time in 12 years. It quit and had to be towed. I have had it repaired and would depend on it to take me anywhere. Matter of fact we depart Alabama for Ft. Bragg, NC in about two weeks puling a 23ft FB Flying Cloud. Again, the LR has pulled this AS to the beach a few times, to Ft. Campbell, KY twice and to Ft. Bragg back in January. I use WD and anti-sway (friction). There has been plenty of power and I drive about 60-65 mph. The stiff suspension of this vehicle gives it the stability in addition to the 18 inch Yokohama tires. The suspension is coil springs, not air ride. We have reservations at AlumaFeista in Tucson in January. We will see you there.
Hi Tom, well you are indeed "lucky!" All the Disco-owners I know would have a much less glowing history to recount.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
I've found a low millage one of these for sale locally. It has a rated towing capacity of 7716. But I was shocked by two things. One, apparently the manual advises against WD hitches. I then noticed that the rated tongue weight is only 550.

Is this a deficiency of the factory hitch? Would an aftermarket hitch provide better specs?
This is our car and we are getting the 23D (I don't know what the right smilycon is for this situation).
LolaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
If the maximum hitch weight is only rated at 550 lbs., that is a pretty good indicator that all they want you to pull is a utility trailer with a lawn mower on it.

I would steer clear of that particular vehicle for a host of reasons. In particular, you would need a second LR3 to use while the primary one was in the shop being repaired. The LR3 has to be just about the least reliable vehicle made, probably why there is "such a good deal" on it.
I would say my LR3 has been very reliable. No vehicle is without problems, but I have never been left stranded by my LR3.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:02 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Salt Lake City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
I would say my LR3 has been very reliable. No vehicle is without problems, but I have never been left stranded by my LR3.
Ours has too. I think the super bad repair record applies more to the older Discos.

Have you used your LR3 to tow though?
LolaT is offline   Reply With Quote