Old 08-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
Unhappy 2006 F250 diesel

I find this sooooo confusing. Here is what I know, please tell me what you think of this as a TV.

engine diesel V8 6.0L
rear end 3L which i think means 3.73
curb weight 6300 lbs
standard tow capacity 8700 lbs, which i think means with factory receiver
max tow capacity 13000 lbs, which i think means with aftermarket receiver
i have heard that a good sway bar system also increases your safe towing capacity above standard.
standard payload 2900 lbs, which i think means weight in the bed and/or tongue weight

the AS I want to tow is 6900 empty with max weight of 8900, three axle, with a tongue weight of about 800 lbs. I have a good reese hitch with the tension bars and an anti-sway attachment that goes on one side of the set up.

is this truck reasonably in the ballpark? I am thinking it is fine but I am having a hard time getting solid data.

Old 08-20-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I do not have a diesel, but the 6.0L Ford does not get the best reviews.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Yes you can pull a tri-axle with that truck...if the engine happens to be working.

I have pulled a 28,000# trailer (don't recommend it BTW) with a '96 F350 7.3l 4.10LS rear. The 6.0 has its well documented issues. Hopefully if you own the truck you have worked through most of them.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
hi thank you for the information. I do not own this truck yet. I am shopping for a TV. where can I research these issues?
Old 08-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1987 29' Sovereign
St Augustine , Florida
If you google Ford diesel 6.0 you will end up in some of the Ford forums and get an idea. With some aftermarket work they can be OK, but there are issues. Look for a 7.3. Very robust and reliable engine.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
The 6.0 has some design flaws. That. Ring said I am a Ford fan to the bone. The 6.0 issues are well documented as are the solutions. With the right modifications they are extremely reliable motors. That's not to say they all have problems. But if you purchase one I can PM you a website that will tell you anything an everything you need to know about them. I owned a 6.0 for about 3-1/2 years and loved it. I now own a Ford 6.7 diesel and love it too.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Had a friend who had the 06 6.0, the engine locked up while he was in Montana on business. Long way from Texas...
There were several years there when Ford skrewed up on their engines. Ours is a 7.3 and would not own the 6.0. Been driving/hauling since 1992 in our business with Fords and would use nothing less than the 7.3. I can haul anything behind it, hitched properly.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:50 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Never fear, Dodge is here ! Get a 6.7 litter and enjoy a good nights sleep. no research required, no after market fixes. Put in fuel and change the oil. Enjoy!
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
Monty

I have also been researching a diesel and have found it confusing. I would buy a later version for the reasons stated above. Ford did have a problem with the 6.0 but has since fixed it and gone to an upgraded diesel that gets much better reviews. Also tow capacity is often dependent on upgrades to the vehicle not just the hitch.

For additional info I would google search diesel engines and trucks, review Edmonds etc as there is a wealth of information on the web regarding diesel. Also there are a number of good articles comparing gas to Diesel. Many will tell to include members of the Forum that gas not diesel is the way to go. However the bottom line is that the choice of a TV is a personal choice and I my case the wife's blessing. I am working on that.

See you on the road

John
Old 08-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would not buy a diesel used. There are too many things that can go wrong and when they do they are VERY EXPENSIVE to repair. Stick with gas till you can afford a $50,000 diesel that has not been abused. Othewise, plan on a new engine into the cost of a used one. Maintenance can cost a lot on a used one and even on a new one. Diesels are great when they are running right and are properly maintained. There are lot of V10 used trucks out there that are cheap. A used 6.0L Ford is going to be a money pit.

Perry
Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Opinions vary. I did and would again buy used, especially a lw mileage used diesel. Gas does not have the guts when needed. Jim
Old 08-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
I am really curious how many I the people bashing the Ford diesels have actually owned one themselves. Seems their advice should be take as nothing more than hearsay.

And to the guy saying that Dodge is the way to go. While I have not personally owned one I have read a lot about all of the big three and the weakness of the Dodge transmission is just as well documented as the problems with the International diesels that ford used. And I have been in and around enough of then to know the rest of the truck itself isn't exactly a marv of engineering.

Just saying. They all have their strong points and weak points but there a lot of all three of them on the road that run just fine.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I have one of those 2006 F250. We bought it a year ago with 94,000 miles. Do the research on the engine, but keep on mind some issues were addressed in the later versions. That said, a friend with one had a major breakdown recently. We love ours, but be sure you know what you're getting into. On the other hand there are 1.2 gazillion of them out there, so parts will always be available.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs View Post
I am really curious how many I the people bashing the Ford diesels have actually owned one themselves. Seems their advice should be take as nothing more than hearsay.

And to the guy saying that Dodge is the way to go. While I have not personally owned one I have read a lot about all of the big three and the weakness of the Dodge transmission is just as well documented as the problems with the International diesels that ford used. And I have been in and around enough of then to know the rest of the truck itself isn't exactly a marv of engineering.

Just saying. They all have their strong points and weak points but there a lot of all three of them on the road that run just fine.
I don't have to own one to know. If one can only learn from one's own mistakes he is a poor fellow. Read around. Start by picking up a magazine that features diesel pickups. Note the number of ads for aftermarket "fixes" for Ford engine problems. That, alone, should put one off of a Ford from 2003-2011. If it isn't enough, then any of the Ford forums have tens of thousands of posts of fixing that which Ford screwed up.

Dodge transmission problems are ancient history, and mainly those who treated them poorly (hot rodded). Maybe 2003 or so. Any since then aren't a problem. The engine has been the best for the past twenty-three years (reliability & longevity).

GM is a favorite among RV'ers for ride, etc.

If one needs a diesel, get one. But the gas engined trucks are just as good for an A/S. The real question is whether one even needs a truck as nearly any A/S can be towed without one (as well if not better).

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote