Old 08-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #29
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs

I loved my SCT. Did you get a custom tune for it?
No, I believe it was their stock tunes. It had a performance tune, economy tune, tow/haul tune and a aggressive tow/haul. I have limited or no knowledge of this stuff so I left it to the mechanic and had him program the aggressive tow/haul. I need to learn how to use the programmer to try out the economy mode. I really don't need more HP or torque and I have heard stories of melting cylinder walls/piston and tranny problems when you boost the HP and play race truck. The kid in me would love to give it try though.

Bill

Old 08-24-2012, 06:56 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 ford

No, I believe it was their stock tunes. It had a performance tune, economy tune, tow/haul tune and a aggressive tow/haul. I have limited or no knowledge of this stuff so I left it to the mechanic and had him program the aggressive tow/haul. I need to learn how to use the programmer to try out the economy mode. I really don't need more HP or torque and I have heard stories of melting cylinder walls/piston and tranny problems when you boost the HP and play race truck. The kid in me would love to give it try though.

Bill
I haven't heard of those problems until you start adding injectors and bigger turbos. And even then the motors hold up well and even the transmissions to some extent. The transmissions on these trucks are really quite impressive. Most of the guys that tear up trannys are using Bully Dog, Banks, and other programmers. The thing that makes the SCT so great is that it will tune the transmission as well as the motor so it can handle the added HP. The others don't touch the transmission.

Believe it or not you have the best MPG potential with higher HP tunes because they are the ones designed to get the most power out of the fuel you give it. I say potential because once you have them it's hard to keep your foot off the go pedal. I had my 6.0 custom tuned and I could walk away from guys in their hot rod Chevy gassers and even Mustang GT's. It's really quite ridiculous what these trucks can do.