Old 08-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
I guess everybody should scrap their worthless Fords and go buy a Dodge then. And the 2011 Power Strokes are not even manufactured by the same company that made the 2003-2010.

Old 08-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
MontyV,
I found a website that seems to explain some of the history of the Ford 6.0 Power Stroke. To summarize the web page the 6.0 can be a good engine but it takes some work and money to get it there and keep it there.
Check this webpage:

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel Information

Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:07 PM   #17
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs
I am really curious how many I the people bashing the Ford diesels have actually owned one themselves. Seems their advice should be take as nothing more than hearsay.

And to the guy saying that Dodge is the way to go. While I have not personally owned one I have read a lot about all of the big three and the weakness of the Dodge transmission is just as well documented as the problems with the International diesels that ford used. And I have been in and around enough of then to know the rest of the truck itself isn't exactly a marv of engineering.

Just saying. They all have their strong points and weak points but there a lot of all three of them on the road that run just fine.
I currently own a F350 with the 6.0L and have paid over $13K in repairs since the warranty expired. The last $7K was for new heads and hopefully the fix for the problems with that motor (EGR delete). I purchased the truck June, 2005 and was Found On Road Dead in December. My advice, for what ever it's worth, is not to purchase the 6.0.

Bill
Old 08-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 ford

I currently own a F350 with the 6.0L and have paid over $13K in repairs since the warranty expired. The last $7K was for new heads and hopefully the fix for the problems with that motor (EGR delete). I purchased the truck June, 2005 and was Found On Road Dead in December. My advice, for what ever it's worth, is not to purchase the 6.0.

Bill
May I ask what the first $6000 was for? Because you could've bulletproofed it for that much and I'm 95% sure you wouldn't have had a head problem after that. If you ever have the heads off again demand ARP headstuds as opposed to OEM head bolts.

Knowing what I know about them now I would still buy one and do the needed preventative mods. It is my personal opinion that you can't beat the looks of a Superduty and the rest of the truck is about as tough as they get.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:50 PM   #19
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
The first diesel I bought was a 1996 Dodge. Put 3 transmissions in that sucker over a period of 5 years. Fords since, 1 tranny replaced that had 250 grand on it.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
We run Fords, Chevy and Dodge diesels at work. The Ford 6.0 was not a popular choice. The 7.3 ran over 500k with reasonable maintenance. Every Chevy we had needed new injectors at just over the 100k mark. I own two personal 7.3 Fords. I prefer the ergonomics of the Ford trucks and won't drive anything else. I have one 7.3 with over 500k on it and it still is chugging along. The truck is currently in semi retirement on our farm but it is still the go to truck. Yes you can make a 6.0 work, but for the money I would rather avoid one and go with a slightly older proven 7.3 or buy one of the newer generation. The Dodge trucks we have had have been a crap shoot, most have been dependable but they lacked in the creature comforts compared to the Fords and Chevys.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' International
Tishomingo , Mississippi
That is more than enough truck for your trailer. Factory tow ratings are very conservative in my opinion.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
I'm a Ford guy. I've owned a Ford 6.9, then a 7.3, and now a 6.7, the best one yet. Remember that all the Ford diesels, 6.9, 7.3, 6.0, and 6.4 were not made by Ford. By most accounts the 6.0 was a disaster and the 6.4 only a little better. For 2011, Ford made a whole 6.7 Ford designed and built. It is truly an amazing engine/transmission combination. If you are going to buy a used Ford diesel, only focus on a 7.3 well maintained vehicle. Those of us have owned and driven them would agree that's the best one by far exclusive of the new diesels.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:59 AM   #23
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Quote:

May I ask what the first $6000 was for? Because you could've bulletproofed it for that much and I'm 95% sure you wouldn't have had a head problem after that. If you ever have the heads off again demand ARP headstuds as opposed to OEM head bolts.

Knowing what I know about them now I would still buy one and do the needed preventative mods. It is my personal opinion that you can't beat the looks of a Superduty and the rest of the truck is about as tough as they get.
Sure, new turbo @ $3K (dealer overcharge), EGR and oil cooler @$1700 the balance was injectors. I found a diesel mechanic that did the last work that is a lot more reasonable than the Ford dealer. I too enjoy the F350 and the 6.0L diesel pulls our 32' Excella like it wasn't there. The replacement head studs were ARP. B&A Sales and Service in Corinth, NY did the last work and I would highly recommend them. I just wished I knew about them when the truck came off warranty. When I was at the garage a couple came in that was just at the Ford dealer and was quoted over $3K for a new turbo and B&A Sales quoted $600 to clean and rebuild the turbo. When I did the EGR/Oil cooler replacement Ford wanted $2600 and B&A did the same job for $1700. The good news is that after the last repair I saw my mileage increase from 9-10 MPG towing the trailer to 12.7. This was only a one week trip with 90% of the miles towing the trailer. I am looking forward to our extended trip this winter too see what my "new" truck is capable of.

Bill
Old 08-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Quote:

Sure, new turbo @ $3K (dealer overcharge), EGR and oil cooler @$1700 the balance was injectors. I found a diesel mechanic that did the last work that is a lot more reasonable than the Ford dealer. I too enjoy the F350 and the 6.0L diesel pulls our 32' Excella like it wasn't there. The replacement head studs were ARP. B&A Sales and Service in Corinth, NY did the last work and I would highly recommend them. I just wished I knew about them when the truck came off warranty. When I was at the garage a couple came in that was just at the Ford dealer and was quoted over $3K for a new turbo and B&A Sales quoted $600 to clean and rebuild the turbo. When I did the EGR/Oil cooler replacement Ford wanted $2600 and B&A did the same job for $1700. The good news is that after the last repair I saw my mileage increase from 9-10 MPG towing the trailer to 12.7. This was only a one week trip with 90% of the miles towing the trailer. I am looking forward to our extended trip this winter too see what my "new" truck is capable of.

Bill
Any reason why you didn't delete the EGR system? Also the OEM oil coolers are notorious for clogging with the OEM Ford gold coolant. I highly recommend flushing the coolant system and replacing with a quality ELC coolant. The reason being the ELC doesn't have the silicates that the gold coolant has. That is what held up and clogs the oil cooler. And it would also be a good idea to get some sort of monitoring system like an Edge Insight to monitor oil and coolant temps so the next time that oil cooler clogs up you can catch it before it does damage to your head gaskets.

If the oil cooler fails again, find an aftermarket oil cooler system that doesn't mount in the engine valley. Bulletproof diesel makes about the best one around.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Salem , Oregon
wow

thanks for all of the information. I am am a ford guy too. but I am going to look at gas F250 today. it sounds like less of a potential hassle.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:52 PM   #26
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Quote:

Any reason why you didn't delete the EGR system? Also the OEM oil coolers are notorious for clogging with the OEM Ford gold coolant. I highly recommend flushing the coolant system and replacing with a quality ELC coolant. The reason being the ELC doesn't have the silicates that the gold coolant has. That is what held up and clogs the oil cooler. And it would also be a good idea to get some sort of monitoring system like an Edge Insight to monitor oil and coolant temps so the next time that oil cooler clogs up you can catch it before it does damage to your head gaskets.

If the oil cooler fails again, find an aftermarket oil cooler system that doesn't mount in the engine valley. Bulletproof diesel makes about the best one around.
The first time I replaced the EGR system about 10 mo ago. There was a possibility that the inspection laws were about to change, I was told that this bill didn't make it and when the heads went I had the ERG delete done with a SCT reprogram for tow/haul, Jake break and EGR delete. Thanks for the tip on the oil cooler. I'm going to have a larger tranny pan w/cooling ports installed and I'll ask about a monitoring system and what type of oil cooler was installed.

Bill
Old 08-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
Angry Run as fast as you can

We have a 2005 Ford f250 ... it runs well now... after motor jobs done and more things than we care to mention. Run in the other direction to Dodge. That is from my hubby
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Porum , Oklahoma
Quote:

The first time I replaced the EGR system about 10 mo ago. There was a possibility that the inspection laws were about to change, I was told that this bill didn't make it and when the heads went I had the ERG delete done with a SCT reprogram for tow/haul, Jake break and EGR delete. Thanks for the tip on the oil cooler. I'm going to have a larger tranny pan w/cooling ports installed and I'll ask about a monitoring system and what type of oil cooler was installed.

Bill
I loved my SCT. Did you get a custom tune for it?