Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2009, 10:03 AM   #61
5T5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2006 22' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
My first impression on finding this site was that it was very informative, and while at times that is still true I am seeing that there is much useless drivel and product bashing by many of the posters.Unfortunately that tends too ruin a good experience and put serious doubt on the validity and usefullness of this site and requires one to sift through all the B.S..Too bad!!
Kim
5T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Kim,

The site is very informative and a goldmine of information on Airstreams, particularly renovating vintage coaches. The vast majority of posters are polite, articulate and helpful. Yes, people do have some strong opinions on certain subjects. Tow vehicles are one of those subjects. Frankly, once you have chosen a tow vehicle you like, you might be best to simply avoid tow vehicle threads.

I grew up just south of the Canadian border in Montana. Perhaps I'm biased, but I don't remember our Canadian friends being quite so... invested, let's say, in vehicle opinions. There are times when the American love affair with the car can go a little "Fatal Attraction." I've seen grown men fighting like cats and dogs over Ford versus Chevy versus Dodge. I've seen people who have never owned or driven a particular vehicle holding forth on it as if they were reading from Moses' stone tablets. The simple fact of the matter is that there are all shapes and sizes of vehicles that can (and do) tow all shapes and sizes of Airstreams... safely. If a vehicle is under its GVWR towing a trailer under its GVWR and where everything is under the GCWR, well, you are generally legal. Once you are legal, the discussion is that of opinion and of comfort. Some folks feel perfectly fine towing at close the stated capacity. Others want 20% (or more) and every possible safety bell and whistle.

As with any Internet forum, Kim, you are going to find some unhelpful posts. With Airforums, I think the ratio of useful to unhelpful is much higher than on many sites. When it comes to the tow vehicle threads, I suggest you take the Monty Python and the Holy Grail approach...

Run away!
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:28 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-Puf View Post
My first impression on finding this site was that it was very informative, and while at times that is still true I am seeing that there is much useless drivel and product bashing by many of the posters.Unfortunately that tends too ruin a good experience and put serious doubt on the validity and usefullness of this site and requires one to sift through all the B.S..Too bad!!
Kim
Yes Kim, and that tends to be the nature of forums. Good info mixed in with bad.

Not to long ago a newbie came here for advice. He got a few quick replies to his post, took the info to heart and traded a perfectly, good, superior TV for a blinkity blank. Turns out it was not what he wanted nor was it that stable of a TV even though it was big, heavy, and with a large engine.

The guy ended up trading that in for yet another questionable vehicle and on he went.

It is ironic that in the end "after all the help for forum members" the guy 's 1st vehicle was probably the best choice and would have worked out just fine.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #64
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
What I find interesting here is that Steve has made his decision and we are all here like a bunch of grumpy old men bickering about who said what and my truck will run over your truck. I personally could care less at this point...I've given my best info that I can as have many of you.

It's getting close to time to move on folks. This thread has served it purpose and is now becoming more than the thread itself.

Of course this is my opinion, yours could and very well may vary.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #65
5T5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2006 22' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Thanks for the replies (posts #62,63,64).Perhaps I overeacted but thanks for understanding.I will now run...Fast as I can!
Kim
5T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Newport , Oregon
Thanks for all the replies

I"m so glad and thankful that all of you took the time to share your considered opinions on this forum and in this thread particularly. When all was said and done, it did come down to brand loyalty, I bought my first Toyota in 1971, and have had them more or less ever since, and it also came down to what the primary use of the vehicle was going to be.

I figure I will tow only 20-25% of the time, and the rest of the time I need a utilitarian rig that will park easily, drive well, give relatively good mileage, and not ride like a buckboard. The new warranty is a bonus, as is the new car smell and peace of mind in owning a trouble free TV. I know that the "Big 3" offerings might satisfy those requirements also, but the Tundra I used to own might have done the job, and this new one definitly will.
It has 1650 payload capacity, and will tow 10,300 pounds. I don't see how I will be anywhere near its maximum capacity with a 25 foot Airstream with a GVWR of 7000 pounds. Whether I'm right or wrong, I promise to share my experiences on this forum. I'm old enough to not mind "eating a bit of crow" if I'm wrong. Hell, it's how the rest of us learn. If I'm right in my choice, I have bought the truck I really wanted and it gets the job done.

The replies I received from the Tundra forum guys who already tow with the 5.7 were overwhelmingly positive and not one of them said "don't do it." Many of them were towing much heavier rigs than I plan to tow.

Do I need a 3/4 or 1 ton rig to tow 7000 pounds? Probably not. Would it be nice to have the "extra" oomph? Sure, but in the meantime I'm driving a civilized riding double cab truck with a turning radius smaller than the 2005, and with 100 more HP, all the while getting BETTER gas mileage because of the 6 speed tranny, not to mention safety upgrades like 4WD the trade in was 2, limited slip, stability and traction control, and front, side, and rollover airbags not even offered in the 2005, at an out the door price of less than what I paid for the 2005 in 2005. To top it all off, and most important to beautiful wife, is that I'm happy, and the new truck is pretty(her words, not mine. I drive a manly truck, not a pretty one.) The new color choice, Pyrite Mica will complement the AS well too. Again thanks for your advice. I'll let you know real soon how she handles the AS towing duty.
Steve97365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:27 PM   #67
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Excellent........

Now get out there and start Stream'n.

Keep post'n
Old 04-20-2009, 05:40 PM   #68
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Pyrite Mica? What color is that to a man? White?

We have a blue one, have no idea what Toyota calls it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #69
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
We have a blue one, have no idea what Toyota calls it.
Gene

A blue one.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Newport , Oregon
Pyrite Mica description

Sort of darker silver, brownish bronze, Like beautiful wife say's, "it's really pretty." I'll post some pics if someone will help me do it. Steve
Steve97365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #71

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have two tow vehicles. The first is a 2005 Suburban 2500, named Olivia. The second is a 2004 Suburban 2500, named Daisy. Beauty is inhe beholder the eye of the beholder. SuEllyn is OK with Olivia who is maroon in color. Daisy is silver and SuEllyn calls her 'ugly Betty'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2764.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	463.6 KB
ID:	78950   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	78951  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:53 AM   #72
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
They both look good to me Brian. I avoid black, grey, green—all dirt magnets, as is blue.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote