Old 04-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet-Puf View Post
Hey Silvertwinkie how can you generalize about Canada that way?
Oh right,I forgot:"simply said".
Kim
The posts don't lie.....there are literally thousands of threads with the same questions as Steve. I think you'll find that it's a fairly disproportionate number of folks from Canada. That's not to say all, but ask nearly anyone that has been here for at least 5 years and they'll probably tell ya the same thing. I couldn't make this kind of comedy up, trust me, I'm not all that creative.

Kim, you might be one of the exceptions to the rule.....22 footer with a Tundra is a great combo IMHO.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:57 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ps---

I'm so not bashing Canadians, I'm merely pointing out what the content of the many threads I've encountered over the past 6 years here on this subject.

There are many things Canadians do far better that we here in the States could learn. Towing may sadly not be one of them though. In that realm I find I, like a fair number fair number of us here are on polar opposites on the subject.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 01:49 PM   #17
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
"For your 25' Airstream", the Tundra may not be ideal but either is a used, 3/4 diesel pick up.

Airstream's tow very easily when set up optimally.
I would take my time with the purchase of a TV. Determine what is important. Handling, power, reliability, comfort, cost factor, etc.

There are some great article in this Tow Vehicle forum. Put your feet up and do some research. Forum members Andy R and Andrew T have been in the Airstream, and towing business for about 70 years between the 2 of them. Read their posts for some accurate, and enlightening TV information.
aka; opinions.

Be aware, some Folks are knowledgeable.
Some are also vendors.

The common thread for most Folks here, is when you get to 25' or greater, it's time for a 3/4 TON.
Some get away with less.
I'll put the odds in my favor.
What is that cliche'; "better to have more truck than you need, than need more truck than you have"?

If you want to travel like a backpacker; saw off your toothbrush handle, package everything in plastic baggies, take only 1/2 a loaf of bread...you might do OK with a 1/2 ton. Although your numbers already suugest you are over your limits.
We like to leave home with full H2o, dog, bikes, kayaks, Kids, etc....this requires a 3/4 ton for our 25'.

If you have any intent of travelling lots of miles...get the 3/4 TON truck.(a 3/4 truck is what you have now).

If you are only going across town, pack light, and have your family meet you there...you might be OK.

Here's how we ended up with a 3/4 TON truck;
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...ice-28886.html

Bill
Old 04-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Steve, don't get stampeded into buying a new truck or a truck bigger than you need. Richard (azflycaster) towed with a 1st generation Tundra and is still alive. I've towed a 25' FB more than 9,000 miles with a 2nd generation Tundra with no problems, including over the Coast Range in Oregon, the Rockies and have passed cars on 11,000' passes in Colorado (used lots of gas, but was in a hurry). The first generation 4.7 L engines had more HP toward the end of the model run, so early and late models will do differently over the hills.

I tried to talk myself into keeping our '02 Tundra, but realized the 2nd gen. Tundra was a better match. My wife always says "yes" to a new truck, maybe your wife will too if you just say, "I'm sorry beautiful, I misjudged about the truck, and trucks are cheap now and a new Tundra will last a really, really long time. Do you like leather seats?" Do not forget the "beautiful" part!

We'll be in Canada in May for almost a week—can't wait to see those crazy Canadians towing trailers with riding mowers, 1955's VW's and mopeds.

Gene
Old 04-11-2009, 02:41 PM   #19
5T5
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
2006 22' International CCD
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Have a great time in Canada Gene, but beware there may still be some snowblowers out and about in May!
Kim
Old 04-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Newport , Oregon
Some of my Best Friends are Canadians.

Wow! I didn't mean to cause a ruckus between folks from the "States" and those American's from up North.

I find all of the advice given worthwhile, and I thank you all for contributing whether from Canada or not.

I meant 3/4 TON truck, but I see I need to dot my tee's and cross my iii"s around here. Point taken though.

I do plan to take my time in negotiating on a different TV and do it right this time. I really thought I had done my homework well when I purchased the AS, but now I know that weight handling and towing ability are different items. At least I learned the lesson eventually.

The good news is loving, BEAUTIFUL wife of 40 years has said; "I just want you to be happy." Words that are music to my ears. I'm sure I'll pay later somehow. I always do. But in the meantime our marriage is still happy, and I won't need the couch. Yet.

The dog was going to charge me rent in the doghouse, so I'll potentially save money there too.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Brandon , Florida
Tundra

I live in Florida and have pulled a 25' Soverign for about 30,000 miles with a 4.7 Tundra. It felt ok in the East but when I went out West I felt like the Tundra was out of its league. Some of the down hills were pretty scary.

I upgraded to a 2008 GMC 2500 6.0 gas. The new model with the 6 speed transmission. We have been through the Rockies since and love the 2500. The diesel was just too expensive. If you do upgrade the GMC 2500 gas probably has some great incentives that would not be available on the diesel. The diesel would be overkill for a 25'. We usually average about 13 miles per gallon pulling with the GMC.

Just food for thought.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
My current tow vehicle is a "little tow" 2004 Nissan Titan rated for around 7400 pounds... which is about the capacity of the Tundra the OP mentions. The Titan has a 5.6l engine which seems to pull just fine. Then again, the '67 Overlander weighs just over 4100 pounds dry.

My brother pulls a '26 "SOB" with a 4.7 Tundra. He has no complaints, and loves the Toyota for the comfort, designa and durability. It is, as Gene will attest, a heckuva truck.

Here's the thing about towing threads. No one knows how you drive. Some folks are cautious. They go slow. They pull over in bad weather. They don't push the truck hard. They watch the gauges. Other folks want to run as if they don't have a trailer behind them. I've seen people bombing down the freeway pulling a heavy trailer or huge boat at speeds that I would never try. Some folks are comfortable gearing down for a long pull. Others think a truck is an utter failure if you have to gear down or slow down for a hard hill.

Most motor vehicle accidents are not the cause of mechanical failure. It is normally operator error. There is nothing magical about a 3/4 ton truck that will keep you out of harm's way if a driver makes a bad decision. I think an exceptionally well built truck like the Tundra can be run at close to the listed "maximum," particularly if a driver is careful and patient.

Finally, confidence is a key element in driving and towing. Having faith in your vehicle and towing skills goes a long way. The best way to build confidence is through positive experiences. Good luck and enjoy driving what you decide to choose.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #23
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
You Folks are missing the point, as the OP stated initialy, payload is the issue. The TW, and associated gear/passengers/fuel will put him, or anyone, way over the rated capacity of a 1/2 ton truck. A vintage unit is much lighter then what he has purchased. An SOB? Who knows...no specs given...
A 1/2 ton is a 1/2 ton, is a 1/2 ton....none of them will get him the payload required for this job.
Period.

You've got buy-in from The "Beautifiul" one...go get the right (3/4 ton) truck.

Bill
Old 04-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Newport , Oregon
I bit the bullet

I am in process of negotiating on a 2003 GMC Sierra SLE 6.6 Duramax and Allison transmission, one owner, excellent shape. It has 77K miles and drove very well on a short test drive. Beautiful wife even took the test drive with me, and she's still speaking to me now, because it's the pewter color that will match her eyes, I mean the AS.
I'm paying 5K difference, so I guess it's a pretty good deal. $19,500 for theirs and $14,500 for mine, and I owe a bit over $8K to cash out. I have opted not to sign anything until my trusted mechanic can go thru it and give it a clean bill of health. I don't need surprises at this point.

My Tundra has 34K miles and BRAND new Michelin tires. I wish I could swap them out, but the GMC takes 265/75/16 and the Tundra 265/70/16.
The dealer will swap out my brake controller, and I'm wondering if I should postpone my walk-thru and set up until I have the new TV. I'm scheduled to see the dealer Monday morning at 10:30.

So there you have it. You Canadians and all the others can now breathe easy, and once again all is right with the world.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:18 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
Checking the brochure produced by Toyota, the 4x2 double cab Tundra has a "payload" (GWR - curb weight) of 1860 pounds. Since the curb weight includes all fluids, we don't need to double count the weight of a tank of gas or five quarts of oil.

Now, according to Toyota, "payload" equals "Cargo + optional equipment + passengers + tongue weight if towing." I don't see "driver" in that list. If the tongue weight is 860 pounds, the OP has another 1,000 pounds for cargo, optional equipment and passengers... before the Tundra exceeds its capacity.

Since Bill wants "specs," I hyperlinked the Toyota brochure... but according to my pencil, the OP's tow vehicle is not "way over the capacity" of the Tundra, at least not according to the manufacturer.

The trailer itself weighs 5060 dry. This is well under the 7,000 lb towing capacity listed by Toyota. I'm not sure where the OP pulled 7300 because none of the double cabs listed seem to have that capacity. And yes, my vintage weighs about 1,000 lbs less. While I would keep my 5.6l Titan over an older 4.7l Tundra for the pulling power, I would be the first to admit the 5.7l Tunda is better built rig than the Titan. If we don't go vintage, a Tundra is on my short list for pulling the Overlander.

The GMC Steve is looking at will pull TWO of his Airstreams... so I think he'll be on the safe side.... way on the safe. side.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:44 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Steve, some tires of similar sizes can be swapped. The difference in the aspect ratio is not that much (although it will affect the odometer) and maybe you could check with a trusted tire dealer for an opinion. Aspect ratio concerns the outer diameter of the tire or the sidewall height. The higher the number, the higher the tire. Using the Tundra tires would slightly lower the GMC. The most critical number is the last one—it reflects the wheel size and must always be identical. The first number is width of the tread in mm. I'm no expert, so check with someone, but you maybe able to keep those new Michelins.

I'm glad you're finding a truck that feels good to you and I can understand not wanting to put out a lot of money for a 2nd generation Tundra.

Gene
Old 04-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Newport , Oregon
Thanks

I guess I had my numbers wrong. The AS GVWR is 7000 and the TV tow rating is 7000 pounds. Sounds like a match made in heaven until I read the advice of those who had been there, done that, have the tee shirt.

I agree that the Tundra would probably pull the weight OK, but at the expense of lousy gas mileage and lots of hard wear and tear on the TV, not to mention over-extending the axle weight ratings by quite a bunch.

I'd much rather be safe than sorry, and err on the side of caution. I've rarely if ever heard someone say that they were sorry they had TOO MUCH tow vehicle, but post after post have talked about how happy they were after they moved up to the proper TV, or moved down the size of their AS(not an option in my case, cause the deal is done.)

Thanks for all your help. You're the greatest. Steve(OP)
Old 04-12-2009, 06:02 PM   #28
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97365 View Post
I guess I had my numbers wrong. The AS GVWR is 7000 and the TV tow rating is 7000 pounds. Sounds like a match made in heaven until I read the advice of those who had been there, done that, have the tee shirt.

I agree that the Tundra would probably pull the weight OK, but at the expense of lousy gas mileage and lots of hard wear and tear on the TV, not to mention over-extending the axle weight ratings by quite a bunch.

I'd much rather be safe than sorry, and err on the side of caution. I've rarely if ever heard someone say that they were sorry they had TOO MUCH tow vehicle, but post after post have talked about how happy they were after they moved up to the proper TV, or moved down the size of their AS(not an option in my case, cause the deal is done.)
Thanks for all your help. You're the greatest. Steve(OP)
Congrats...you haved saved yourself a years worth of heartache and white Knuckle rides.
I have no doubt that being so seriously undergunned with your TV would have had you questioning the whole AS thing after a trip or two (maybe even on the ride home?)....
Towing with too little truck, is stressful, tiring, and as Brian MT likes to say;"is the number one cause of very expensive yard art".
Drop the hitch on the ball, set the cruise, have a nice cup of coffee, and your Beautiful Wife by your side and let the miles go by...

See you down the road.

Bill

BTW, hard to imagine a better TV than the DA you are looking at.