Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #43
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
check the vehicle history and make sure it isn't a "super storm sandy 'special".

are you getting any sleep these days? lol
It's from Texas but checking vehicle history will be a must

I will also buy maxcare warranty - 6 year bumper to bumper - I know it's a waste but my psychology demands I blow it
__________________

__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:41 AM   #44
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
It's from Texas but checking vehicle history will be a must

I will also buy maxcare warranty - 6 year bumper to bumper - I know it's a waste but my psychology demands I blow it
35+ years in auto repair/sales shape my observation.....

With very few exceptions, any "warrantee", more correctly an extended service plan not offered by the Manufacturer is not worth the paper used to write the exceptions on.
No such thing as a "bumper to bumper" service plan, they all have exclusions, study carefully.

Maxcare...

Bob
__________________

__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #45
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
Maxcare warranty is an exclusion only very short worded document - ill paste it in here later - it's seemingly very simple and straight forward when I can read and understand it ...I think
__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:13 AM   #46
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
here is the ad...check it out and let me know what you think folks:

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT in Fort Worth, TX- 9294925 at carmax.com

I already know that gas vs. diesel and other TV topics are contentious....alls I can say is that my father endorses diesel (a mechanic) and many of his "truck owning buddies" that he does work for as well....not that these opinions invalidate the opinions of others...I just have a WIDE range of opinions to have to choose from....in the end, I will test drive, if I like it, the numbers work, it fits the budget, and I feel like it is a decent price...ill do it.

But as always, I remain open to any useful suggestions:

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT in Fort Worth, TX- 9294925 at carmax.com

Thanks for all the input you all provide.
__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #47
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
well, i must be crossed eye in looking at ads....this is a gasser...let me go back and look again...I thought that was too good a deal
__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #48
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
here was the diesel I originally eyeballed with 50K miles...a 2010 model...

2010 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT in Milwaukee, WI- 9233658 at carmax.com

so at the same price, but 2 years older and 25k more miles....also the above gasser has a slightly higher trim level...nav + rearview camera for example...

and for 5K more:

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 ST in Oklahoma City, OK- 9356873 at carmax.com

ill be stewing on this today....
__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #49
RLS
Rivet Master
 
RLS's Avatar

 
2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 608
If at all possible, get one that has the camera. It is really good to have for hitching up.
__________________
Julia & Bob
W/ Deedee & Boo
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:50 AM   #50
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
I know! But that's the prob used - cant always be as selective

The white 2012 gasser I linked to earlier has nav + rear camera - pretty nice

I'll have to double check the other models on that point
__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member
 
SStar's Avatar
 
2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
PharmGeek,
I have a 2000 K2500 Yukon XL that I ordered new, so it's 13 years old now and I plan to keep it for a number of years. It has the 6.0 L engine and the 4L80E transmission (4.10:1 Axle Ratio). With this combination, I do fine towing my 1991 34' Limited in the Rockies and elsewhere. I'd say that I probably get 14 MPG on the road (solo) and about 9.0 towing (these are 70 MPH figures). The 8.1 L engine was discontinued several years ago. Many parts of the 6.0 are common to the 4.8/5.3/6.2 L Gen III and Gen IV small block engines, and they are still in production. I would advise against the 8.1.

Steve
I have an 07 yukon with the same engine, trans and the 4.10 axle. I was looking for a used Excursion but when the salesman called I jumped on this one. Fairly low mileage, one owner, 4x4, full tow package, with new Michelins. So far it has been exactly what I need. It is a workhorse on the Airstream, but still a good daily driver, and seats 6 when we need it to. I had a 2500 GMC PU, the Yukon will outwork it, and will just about pull with my son's 2007 GMC diesel, we have tried them both on the AS and on his 36' SOB which is very tall and very heavy. I think difference must be the 4.10 axle, only thing that might be better is MPG when running unloaded.
__________________
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #52
Rivet Master
 
Steve Bryant's Avatar

 
1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 739
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SStar View Post
I have an 07 yukon with the same engine, trans and the 4.10 axle. I was looking for a used Excursion but when the salesman called I jumped on this one. Fairly low mileage, one owner, 4x4, full tow package, with new Michelins. So far it has been exactly what I need. It is a workhorse on the Airstream, but still a good daily driver, and seats 6 when we need it to. I had a 2500 GMC PU, the Yukon will outwork it, and will just about pull with my son's 2007 GMC diesel, we have tried them both on the AS and on his 36' SOB which is very tall and very heavy. I think difference must be the 4.10 axle, only thing that might be better is MPG when running unloaded.
SStar,
My son also has a HD 2002 Duramax Sierra (crew cab 4X4 with an Alison 1000 automatic). His truck will out pull mine and get better mileage. However, since he first bought the truck in 2002, diesel has gone up considerably in price per gallon and maintenance on the engine is more expensive. For touring and camping, I like the Yukon XL better as it rides better, has more covered storage, etc. I also updated the radio in 2009 to a double DIN Kenwood with GPS/Bluetooth hands free, back up camera etc, so that's very up to date.

__________________
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #53
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
I'm now liking the white 2012 gasser ram 2500 I posted earlier - low mileage - decent price - has nav and rear camera - and I like white
__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #54
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
Having a hard time justifying cost of diesel - will revisit that perhaps once out of student debt in 2018
__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #55
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
here is the ad...check it out and let me know what you think folks:

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT in Fort Worth, TX- 9294925 at carmax.com

I already know that gas vs. diesel and other TV topics are contentious....alls I can say is that my father endorses diesel (a mechanic) and many of his "truck owning buddies" that he does work for as well....not that these opinions invalidate the opinions of others...I just have a WIDE range of opinions to have to choose from....in the end, I will test drive, if I like it, the numbers work, it fits the budget, and I feel like it is a decent price...ill do it.

But as always, I remain open to any useful suggestions:

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT in Fort Worth, TX- 9294925 at carmax.com

Thanks for all the input you all provide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
here was the diesel I originally eyeballed with 50K miles...a 2010 model...

2010 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT in Milwaukee, WI- 9233658 at carmax.com

so at the same price, but 2 years older and 25k more miles....also the above gasser has a slightly higher trim level...nav + rearview camera for example...

and for 5K more:

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 ST in Oklahoma City, OK- 9356873 at carmax.com

ill be stewing on this today....
Slow down & smell the.....never mind.

Enjoy the hunt.

Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #56
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
Is there a glitch or something there bob?
__________________

__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.