Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2013, 05:56 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
check the vehicle history and make sure it isn't a "super storm sandy 'special".

are you getting any sleep these days? lol
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:01 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
check the vehicle history and make sure it isn't a "super storm sandy 'special".

Surprisingly somehow yes - 5 hours solid

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post

It's from Texas but checking vehicle history will be a must

I will also buy maxcare warranty - 6 year bumper to bumper - I know it's a waste but my psychology demands I blow it

Old 06-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #44
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
It's from Texas but checking vehicle history will be a must

I will also buy maxcare warranty - 6 year bumper to bumper - I know it's a waste but my psychology demands I blow it
35+ years in auto repair/sales shape my observation.....

With very few exceptions, any "warrantee", more correctly an extended service plan not offered by the Manufacturer is not worth the paper used to write the exceptions on.
No such thing as a "bumper to bumper" service plan, they all have exclusions, study carefully.

Maxcare...

Bob
Old 06-25-2013, 06:51 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Maxcare warranty is an exclusion only very short worded document - ill paste it in here later - it's seemingly very simple and straight forward when I can read and understand it ...I think

Old 06-25-2013, 07:13 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
here is the ad...check it out and let me know what you think folks:

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT in Fort Worth, TX- 9294925 at carmax.com

I already know that gas vs. diesel and other TV topics are contentious....alls I can say is that my father endorses diesel (a mechanic) and many of his "truck owning buddies" that he does work for as well....not that these opinions invalidate the opinions of others...I just have a WIDE range of opinions to have to choose from....in the end, I will test drive, if I like it, the numbers work, it fits the budget, and I feel like it is a decent price...ill do it.

But as always, I remain open to any useful suggestions:

Thanks for all the input you all provide.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:22 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
well, i must be crossed eye in looking at ads....this is a gasser...let me go back and look again...I thought that was too good a deal

Old 06-25-2013, 07:28 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
here was the diesel I originally eyeballed with 50K miles...a 2010 model...

2010 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT in Milwaukee, WI- 9233658 at carmax.com

so at the same price, but 2 years older and 25k more miles....also the above gasser has a slightly higher trim level...nav + rearview camera for example...

and for 5K more:

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 ST in Oklahoma City, OK- 9356873 at carmax.com

ill be stewing on this today....

Old 06-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #49
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
If at all possible, get one that has the camera. It is really good to have for hitching up.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I know! But that's the prob used - cant always be as selective

The white 2012 gasser I linked to earlier has nav + rear camera - pretty nice

I'll have to double check the other models on that point

Old 06-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Midland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bryant View Post
PharmGeek,
I have a 2000 K2500 Yukon XL that I ordered new, so it's 13 years old now and I plan to keep it for a number of years. It has the 6.0 L engine and the 4L80E transmission (4.10:1 Axle Ratio). With this combination, I do fine towing my 1991 34' Limited in the Rockies and elsewhere. I'd say that I probably get 14 MPG on the road (solo) and about 9.0 towing (these are 70 MPH figures). The 8.1 L engine was discontinued several years ago. Many parts of the 6.0 are common to the 4.8/5.3/6.2 L Gen III and Gen IV small block engines, and they are still in production. I would advise against the 8.1.

Steve
I have an 07 yukon with the same engine, trans and the 4.10 axle. I was looking for a used Excursion but when the salesman called I jumped on this one. Fairly low mileage, one owner, 4x4, full tow package, with new Michelins. So far it has been exactly what I need. It is a workhorse on the Airstream, but still a good daily driver, and seats 6 when we need it to. I had a 2500 GMC PU, the Yukon will outwork it, and will just about pull with my son's 2007 GMC diesel, we have tried them both on the AS and on his 36' SOB which is very tall and very heavy. I think difference must be the 4.10 axle, only thing that might be better is MPG when running unloaded.
SStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by SStar View Post
I have an 07 yukon with the same engine, trans and the 4.10 axle. I was looking for a used Excursion but when the salesman called I jumped on this one. Fairly low mileage, one owner, 4x4, full tow package, with new Michelins. So far it has been exactly what I need. It is a workhorse on the Airstream, but still a good daily driver, and seats 6 when we need it to. I had a 2500 GMC PU, the Yukon will outwork it, and will just about pull with my son's 2007 GMC diesel, we have tried them both on the AS and on his 36' SOB which is very tall and very heavy. I think difference must be the 4.10 axle, only thing that might be better is MPG when running unloaded.
SStar,
My son also has a HD 2002 Duramax Sierra (crew cab 4X4 with an Alison 1000 automatic). His truck will out pull mine and get better mileage. However, since he first bought the truck in 2002, diesel has gone up considerably in price per gallon and maintenance on the engine is more expensive. For touring and camping, I like the Yukon XL better as it rides better, has more covered storage, etc. I also updated the radio in 2009 to a double DIN Kenwood with GPS/Bluetooth hands free, back up camera etc, so that's very up to date.

Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I'm now liking the white 2012 gasser ram 2500 I posted earlier - low mileage - decent price - has nav and rear camera - and I like white

Old 06-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Having a hard time justifying cost of diesel - will revisit that perhaps once out of student debt in 2018

Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #55
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
here is the ad...check it out and let me know what you think folks:

I already know that gas vs. diesel and other TV topics are contentious....alls I can say is that my father endorses diesel (a mechanic) and many of his "truck owning buddies" that he does work for as well....not that these opinions invalidate the opinions of others...I just have a WIDE range of opinions to have to choose from....in the end, I will test drive, if I like it, the numbers work, it fits the budget, and I feel like it is a decent price...ill do it.

But as always, I remain open to any useful suggestions:

Thanks for all the input you all provide.
Quote:
here was the diesel I originally eyeballed with 50K miles...a 2010 model...

so at the same price, but 2 years older and 25k more miles....also the above gasser has a slightly higher trim level...nav + rearview camera for example...

and for 5K more:

2012 Dodge Ram 2500 ST in Oklahoma City, OK- 9356873 at carmax.com

ill be stewing on this today....
Slow down & smell the.....never mind.

Enjoy the hunt.

Bob
Old 06-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Is there a glitch or something there bob?

Old 06-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #57
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Not really...you caught the misrepresentation with it listed as a turbo diesel when actually a 5.7 hemi. One of the pitfalls of online browsing.

Good Luck

Bob
Old 06-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
yep, indeed!! stuff starts to run together after looking for hours and hours

So went to Carmax - 2 of the ones I was looking at were sold...I was really debating gas vs. diesel hard in talking with folks on this site, in talking with my dad, and others...I really was tempted to go for the white 5.7L hemi, but the gold diesel at a slightly lower price tag was very tempting for me.

The gasser was already bought, lol....which made my decision easier.

It is now in process of transfer...ill test drive it in 1-2 weeks or so when it gets here and finalize the paperwork:

for $1400 I will likely buy the "maxcare" which will cover me for the next 6 years leaving me with the maintenance costs which is not a problem for my budget. Went and test drove another one of these on the lot today....what a machine

Interest rate ended up 1.87%...i was floored by that. Im now even more below my budget....yay!

Well, we shall see how it turns out for me in the coming years of ownership....but it ended up being at least up front a comparable cost to similar spec'd gassers (well nearly anyway)...

Tree guy came today, removing a tree in my back yard after july 4th...and just after that my brother (a mason) is pouring me a concrete pad in front of my patio for me at cost (minus paying a couple laborers their hourly rate) of materials as I am selling him my Toyota T100 at a real deal.

Now I got my eye on a few trailers on lots at a few dealers and in July I will be ready to see if i can find a good deal

Old 06-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
The Carmax link is not working now that you are transferring it to you. Post pictures when you get it. I'm certain you will be very happy with your decision. This is a great tow vehicle.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
well, I had saved these 2 jpegs before it was brought down for transfer....i put of them in this folder on my photo.net...not sure yet how to past pics in this forum

backyard: Photo Images by Ellery Curtis Photography - photo.net