Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Is the 2006 Ford diesel having the same problems?
jkcru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:51 AM   #22
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
I believe they were in years 2003 - 2007. I would think the same issues would be there. After all why would Ford discontinue the design if they worked all the bugs out by 2007. They cut their losses and redesigned.
2005 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
You need to add the Motorcraft coolant additive to the coolant. Ford sells a test strip you dip in the coolant tell see if its time. The fuel filter change intervel is critical. I don't remember what the owners manual say's, but it is to long an interval. 10K is max fuel filter milage. The 6.0 had ongoing problems due to the constant redesign of the motor. I just replaced a high pressure oil pump fitting on a 2006 6.0. Earlier 6.0 did not have this style of fitting. I got my rear end kicked pretty hard by this failure!
The thing to remember.....EPA is the reason for this engine. Catapiller quit making highway use engines because they would not comply with EPA. They figured they could make more money without all the problems. BTW International has had a host of problems with their ERG motors.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #24
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Got the truck back yesterday, all fixed. Two new heads and the upgrades I spoke about. Total bill $6977.. OUCH!!!!!!!!! $4500 in parts and 33 hours of labor @$2475. One head was warped .008. All the research I've done on issues with the 6.0 power stroke I've experienced with this truck, turbo replacement, fuel injector replacement, EGR, oil cooler, fuel pump failure. My advice to anyone looking to purchase a used TV is stay away from the 6.0 L diesel. I purchased this truck new in 2005 and have put on 131,000 miles, very light miles with 95% of the miles unladen highway. Maintenance was kept to Ford's specification and done by Ford for the 100K warranty. Time will tell if these mods corrected the issues with this motor. I definitely will decrease the mileage interval for fluid/filters changes from what Ford recommended. Thanks again for all the input.

Bill
Old 08-17-2012, 06:53 AM   #25
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Interesting side note on the 6.0l diesel, I saw a lawyer commercial on TV yesterday looking for owners of the 6L that have had problems. I wonder if there is a law suit brewing?