Old 07-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Change fuel filters @ 10K miles & always use Motorcraft filters. Change oil @ 5K miles. These two things will do the most to stop injecter failure. Clean fuel is critical, the after market fuel filters will not filter the fuel reliable!

Old 07-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #16
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Adirondack Mountains , New York
Diesel1

Always used Motorcraft filters/oil and changed at recommended intervals. Oil was recommended at 7500 miles if I remember correctly. I always thought that was high mileage interval. I'll definitely take your advise and change both sooner. What about coolant,

Old 07-07-2012, 08:09 AM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005 ford View Post
Oil was recommended at 7500 miles if I remember correctly. I always thought that was high mileage interval. I'll definitely take your advise and change both sooner. What about coolant,
5,000 miles should be the maximum interval for oil changes. Like the factory oil change interval, don't believe the "long life" coolant, change it every 3 years or less, depending on how much you drive it. As for power chips, if anything I'd try to derate the engine. It is a victim of the horsepower wars between the Big Three, in which Ford got bragging rights for something like 3 months, and the end consumer is the one that suffers.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:24 AM   #18
Rivet Master

I am 210 k miles on a 2000 diesel Excursion. I have never had transmission trouble with but have changed fluid and filter regularly.
Have you had trouble with your transmission? Is that why you are upgrading the cooling of it?
My 7.3 has never cost me except for cam sensors, replaced under warranty. It is huge. Ford went to a smaller engine for styling, as they wanted a smaller front profile. Smaller engine, more horsepower, emission controls and bean counting equals trouble. Ford and unlucky owners have spent lots of money on these engines.
Thank your lucky stars you don't have a 2004 6.0. The first year of manufacture was the most problematic. They wanted a quiet engine like the Duramax and the 2004's are known for putting raw diesel into the oil.
With the repairs and upgrades you are making you should have the trouble free engine you thought you were getting in 2005. Like you say, repairs are a lot less than depreciation and payments on a new truck.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #19
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
No power chips for me, I've heard too many stories of issues with head bolts, exhaust gas temperature increases high enough to melt cylinder walls, transmission issues and so forth. I knew a contractor who put the Banks upgrades in and blew the motor when set to the highest HP setting. Of course he was pulling an equipment trailer up a hill in Vermont and decided he wasn't going fast enough. The mechanic stated that the tow/haul tune he will do should only increase the HP by 50 and I'm quite happy to tool along at the speed limit or less.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #20
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Handn, From what I've read Ford contacted with NAVSTAR to build a motor that would pass new emission regulations since the older 7.3 L would not. Ford lost so money on warranty claims that they sued NAVSTAR and are building there own diesel. The 7.3 is a great diesel engine. I wished I still stuck to buying used I probably would be driving the 7.3. ( I've always owned Ford trucks). I am upgrading the tranny pan on recommendation of the mechanic. When I started all this I met with this mechanic to upgrade to a more reliable TV. This will add more fluid capacity with the cooling tubes to keep the fluid within operating temps. I have not had tranny problems to date. We are looking to full time as soon as we sell the house and want to travel out west where ambient temps will be much higher in the summer than they are in the Adirondack mountains were most of our trips have been. Don't know if I'm going to gain that much cooling or if was worth the $, my tranny gauge never really moves much once at operating temp towing or not.

Bill
Old 07-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Is the 2006 Ford diesel having the same problems?
Old 07-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #22
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
I believe they were in years 2003 - 2007. I would think the same issues would be there. After all why would Ford discontinue the design if they worked all the bugs out by 2007. They cut their losses and redesigned.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
You need to add the Motorcraft coolant additive to the coolant. Ford sells a test strip you dip in the coolant tell see if its time. The fuel filter change intervel is critical. I don't remember what the owners manual say's, but it is to long an interval. 10K is max fuel filter milage. The 6.0 had ongoing problems due to the constant redesign of the motor. I just replaced a high pressure oil pump fitting on a 2006 6.0. Earlier 6.0 did not have this style of fitting. I got my rear end kicked pretty hard by this failure!
The thing to remember.....EPA is the reason for this engine. Catapiller quit making highway use engines because they would not comply with EPA. They figured they could make more money without all the problems. BTW International has had a host of problems with their ERG motors.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #24
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Got the truck back yesterday, all fixed. Two new heads and the upgrades I spoke about. Total bill $6977.. OUCH!!!!!!!!! $4500 in parts and 33 hours of labor @$2475. One head was warped .008. All the research I've done on issues with the 6.0 power stroke I've experienced with this truck, turbo replacement, fuel injector replacement, EGR, oil cooler, fuel pump failure. My advice to anyone looking to purchase a used TV is stay away from the 6.0 L diesel. I purchased this truck new in 2005 and have put on 131,000 miles, very light miles with 95% of the miles unladen highway. Maintenance was kept to Ford's specification and done by Ford for the 100K warranty. Time will tell if these mods corrected the issues with this motor. I definitely will decrease the mileage interval for fluid/filters changes from what Ford recommended. Thanks again for all the input.

Bill
Old 08-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #25
Mountain High

1990 32' Excella
Interesting side note on the 6.0l diesel, I saw a lawyer commercial on TV yesterday looking for owners of the 6L that have had problems. I wonder if there is a law suit brewing?