Old 05-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
atlanta , Georgia
Fte

The suggestion to go to a diesel forum is a very good one - I use FTE for some very solid info. Yes, the head bolts on the 6.0 are problematic - kep your temps low and you will be fine. Another alternative is to get a custom chip burned. i use a DP tuner with a tow mode that manages my shift points, torque converter lock up and fueling for lower EGTs and lower tranny temps. I don't believe DP Tuer will work on 6.0 mapping, but there is surely someone with solid skills out there. Be very war of Edge and Bully Dog, etc. . . . i know from personal experience the difference between a custom chip and a shelf tuner is HUGE. Sorry I can not offer more help.

nunya001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by page.crow View Post
Thanks folks for your imput. 4R100 or 5R110? Ok. I'm crawling under my 2005 today to ID the tranny pan.

I've heard it said that the 6.0 diesel trucks had trouble. Perhaps I'm the lucky one. I've got 45K and not one problem. BUT...It's been babied, for sure. Road miles with no trailer or weight out back. Only now with my 31 Sovereign have I pulled any weight.

I will indeed go over to the Diesel Forums and ask questions. Thanks you all.

<humbly bowing>

page crow

ps: Plan your trips and GO. My closest friend Chuck just lost his life to lung cancer last night. He's the Osage native american that taught me to get out "On Tour". I bought my first little pop-up trailer to get out with Chuck and Christine. After years, I stepped up to the 31 Sovereign. Plan, but also GO! GO! GO! Cheers to my brother Chuck. Work hard if that's what it takes to play hard. Aho.
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, it sounds like maybe the best thing to honor his memory is to go camping.
You shouldn't have to even crawl under the truck, you can get the transmission code off the tag on the door frame, and look it up that way. It's a lot easier and cleaner.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:28 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Jackson County , Missouri
Hey I like that Diesel forum! <grinning>

But now I learned I need to do some maintenance on the EGR valve. grrrr.....

Yep, I crawled under my 05 F250. Surprise! No E4OD. <grinning> Man am I behind on the learning curve. I'll check out now and get hip. Thanks to all.

page crow
Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Well, well... I ran a forum-search on the 6.0 powerstroke and discovered my own thread from years ago. update: My "babied" 2005 F250 6.0 Powerstroke has only gained 15 thousand miles on the odometer in the last four years. But, the dreaded 6.0 problems have indeed cropped-up: 1. temp gauge soaring to pegged when pulling a long uphill, on boost, with my trailer 2. Subsequent discovery of head gasket failure 3. multiple engine issues that need to be updated

I was searching for data\experience from fellow 6.0 Powerstroke drivers. Skater said there is a long thread on this issue. Looking for it now.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
EDGE JUICE (with "attitude") off the shelf tuner-chips experience:

I purchased this product several years ago and paid $1000.00 for it. (don't laugh, please) The promise was better performance, more power, better fuel economy, etc. None of those things happened. (The gauge-pod is cool. It displays many things.) After several months with this device on the truck and no performance or fuel economy gains, the truck stopped running. All the typical causes were mentioned: FICM, fuel pressure, ICP, HPOP etc. It was the EDGE tuner box. I yanked-it and my truck ran with no problems after that for years.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
I'm going to switch my conversations about the 6.0 Powerstroke over to the other thread I started recently. This is an OLD thread, from several years ago. There is some great info on this thread from others. I plan to document all the things I had to do to keep my 6.0 Powerstroke alive and running good on the other thread. Cheers!

Tags
e4od, overdrive