Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-30-2006, 06:41 AM   #1
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
2005 Excursion Diesel and Prodigy Brake Controller-HELP!!

Can anyone help me locate the brake controller plug underneath the dash of my 2005 Excursion? I can't find it!

I bought a Prodigy and Ford Super Duty wiring pigtail and spent 15 minutes searching for the plug yesterday.

Also, is this set-up just "plug and play?" Once I plug into the Excursion and plug the other end into the Prodigy, am I ready to tow? Or do I have to do other wiring stuff?

Help!

Thanks.

Tony
LittleRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
I just had a Prodigy installed on my Tundra last weekend by two super guys at the Scusset Rally. I purchased the optional pigtail also and they got it hooked up in about 5-10 minutes. The only thing that took them a bit longer was locating a place for the ground. It is pretty much plug and play...after it was installed we were fortunate enough to have the large beach parking lot to calibrate the Prodigy. It does have to be tweaked and adjusted to get the right brakeing power needed. I'm sure others will chime in as to where you hook-up is....P.S. Kudos go out to Dick & Bruce
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 07:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
On my 2005 F150 the wiring plug is under the dash, near the drivers right knee. The truck came with a pigtail from ford, that included instructions on where to find the plug and a wiring diagram for the pigtail. You need to wire this together with the pigtail that comes with the Prodigy per the instructions. However, if you bought a wiring harness specifically made for the Prodigy/Ford it should just plug and play.

My former 2003 Ford Explorer had the plug located behind the glove box. I had to partly remove the glove box to get at it. Also, it came with a relay that needed to be plugged into the fuse box.

I'm sorry that this information is not specific to the Excursion. But it might give you some places to look.
Old 06-30-2006, 07:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
This might help: Ford Truck Enthusiasts User Gallery (This link is no longer active)
Old 06-30-2006, 08:00 AM   #5
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
Thanks! That link to photos really helped! I'm going to try again tonight.

Tony
Old 12-27-2006, 11:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
where did you mount the Prodigy or similiar controller in your Excursion?
I have it plugged in but not selected the best mounting spot.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:28 AM   #7
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
I mounted it above the trans-hump at the very bottom edge of the dashboard. It's parallel to the floor (best position), but it's a sort of reach from the driver's position when you need to thumb brake or adjust.

At least it's out of the way, and I've never accidentally kicked it.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:48 AM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
As long as it's near level, it's pretty happy.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:03 PM   #9
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
LittleRadio - the only word of caution I would have is about your chosen location: In the event you are in trouble and really need your trailer brakes, you may want to have it closer at hand than to have it "a sort of a reach" away.

Be sure to practice every now and again and rehearse what you will do in an emergency.

Happy Trailering!

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
my thoughts also. I have mine temporarily in under the fuse cover, thinking if I leave the ocver off when towing I can access the controller, and when not towing I can out the cover back on. It sits on a metal dash frame rail, right now velcro holding it in place. Might have to punch a hole in the little dash pocket in front of where the plug in is, and stick it in there, thats where it sat on my F250.
Right now I still have no power to the 7 pin. The Ford dealer I went to said it needed a fuse which they put in, but when I plug up the umbilical to the trailer, nada. The trailer lights were all fine 6 or 8 weeks ago when last used, so I am assuming something else is wrong on the truck end. All the fuses look good to me.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 12-27-2006, 04:21 PM   #11
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
It should be under the dash near your right leg. Mine was hard fixed to a dash frame member. You have some wiring to match up. The vehicle colors and the Prodigy wire harness colors do not match up.

Good luck.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:38 PM   #12
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
where did you mount the Prodigy or similiar controller in your Excursion?
I have it plugged in but not selected the best mounting spot.
Alan, there's a spot just to the right of the steering wheel under the dashboard that the brake controller fits like it's made for it. It's the ideal location if you're right handed. You don't kick it or smack your knees on it getting in and out of the truck.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 08:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
It should be under the dash near your right leg. Mine was hard fixed to a dash frame member. You have some wiring to match up. The vehicle colors and the Prodigy wire harness colors do not match up.

Good luck.
The harness I bought at Camping World plugged right in to the truck receptacle.
Found out from the dealer this morning that the 7 pin connector is bad. Had power leading up to it, but its dead. They want 96 bucks plus an hour labor, to install it. I found the same connector with plug in at Napa for 30. Hopefully that will solve the problem. The Prodigy lights up and all, but I had no lights or power to the trailer.
Roger - I will check the spot you are talking about, thanks for the tip.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The NAPA part was plug and play, the only problem was the mounting hole did not line up to to Ford bracket, a little drilling fixed that. Lights and brakes work now.
I guess I will mount the Prodigy where Roger suggested, its like a small indent just under the little utility tray inset. It will be angled but seems to be well beneath the 70 degree max for mounting.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!