Old 03-16-2014, 02:05 PM   #15
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Diesel Exhaust fluid is not a problem..It is now readily available at truck stops at the pump and even in walmart. Consumption seems to be in the neighborhood of 1000 miles to the gallon. On my 2013 I filled the DEF tank at 2000 miles. Don't know how much was there from the dealer originally. I also bought a jug of the stuff figuring I would need to carry some. Been carrying it since september and figure I need to get it in the truck before it gets too old but after 2500 miles I am not sure I could get the whole 2.5 gallons in as the gauge still has the 5.5 gallon tank 3/4 full.

What remains to be seen is how reliable the delivery system will be, but the cost of the fluid and the amount used is insignificant.
Thanks,

That is helpful information.

Ken

Old 03-17-2014, 09:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
nice rig man.. what is your mpg towing and not towing. I know how diesels can go up hill pulling with no problem but i wonder the difference in fuel cost between gas and diesel over time.

I think a good older 2003 ish diesel with under 200k miles for 13-15K can be a good deal vs a 2008 gaser with 130K miles. for 21-23K. It will take a while to use up the difference in fuel.

also see the kayaks on top.. i was looking at the sea eagle inflatables Sport Kayaks – Inflatable Kayaks For One or Two Adults – from SeaEagle.com - Prices start at just $239. FREE SHIPPING to lower 48 US States.
in reading some reviews on amazon guy like u that are hard shell users give the boat a thumbs up and when done they deflate and fold up to put in a bag..

TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
nice rig man.. what is your mpg towing and not towing. I know how diesels can go up hill pulling with no problem but i wonder the difference in fuel cost between gas and diesel over time.

I think a good older 2003 ish diesel with under 200k miles for 13-15K can be a good deal vs a 2008 gaser with 130K miles. for 21-23K. It will take a while to use up the difference in fuel.

also see the kayaks on top.. i was looking at the sea eagle inflatables Sport Kayaks – Inflatable Kayaks For One or Two Adults – from SeaEagle.com - Prices start at just $239. FREE SHIPPING to lower 48 US States.
in reading some reviews on amazon guy like u that are hard shell users give the boat a thumbs up and when done they deflate and fold up to put in a bag..
I find that I do a lot better psychologically if I don't think much about MPG.

However the truck empty on the highway at 60-65 gets about 19 MPG. If I'm willing to drive 55mph it can be a bit over 20. It will go down to about 17 or so at freeway 75 MPH.

We do a lot of towing on the interstate. Our self imposed speed limit is 65. I have found that our here in the west, the wind direction and velocity have a lot to do with MPG. On a calm day on the level at 65 mph we will show about 14 MPG. A good tail wind can make it about 15.5 Max. However a stiff headwind will drop it as low as 11.5 I'm happy when its around 13.

When we carry the kayaks on the shell, I can fit a wider cross bar, so they ride flat rather than on edge. We secure them very well, because my worst nightmare would be to glance in the rear view mirror just in time to see one slam into the front of the trailer.

The inflatables would be a great camping solution.

I am an avid bicycle rider and have arthritis a bit in both shoulders, so these Hobie mirage drives are great for me.

We originally had a tandem, but since we are both fairly independent (stubborn), we decided that two singles were better for our relationship.

Hobie MirageDrive Underwater Clips - YouTube

Hobie Mirage Outfitter Overview with Steve Oxenford - YouTube

Ken
Old 03-17-2014, 10:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Here we go; there is no doubt that most diesels will get better mileage, if all things are equal, but they aren't. Diesel engines cost as much as $9,000 more to start with vs a gasser. The you must add the additional cost of the diesel fuel over gasoline, plus the added cost of oil changes (15 qts vs 7 qts for a gasser), then there's the cost of fuel filters ($25-50 for a diesel vs $10 for a gas), and now, there is the urea tank issue that costs upwards of $75 every time you change oil or need to add it. If you happen to run low, the sensor will shut off your engine, so you must always carry some with you. The older diesels have a "sootbag" that collects all of the diesel soot and must be "regenerated" and burned off, which ruins your fuel mileage at the least, or plugs up the sensor and shuts off your engine. All said and done, diesels are made to tow, and if you tow a lot, then a diesel may be made for you. But if you only tow a short period of time, then you are waisting your time and money.....but again, that's your choice.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Here we go; there is no doubt that most diesels will get better mileage, if all things are equal, but they aren't. Diesel engines cost as much as $9,000 more to start with vs a gasser. The you must add the additional cost of the diesel fuel over gasoline, plus the added cost of oil changes (15 qts vs 7 qts for a gasser), then there's the cost of fuel filters ($25-50 for a diesel vs $10 for a gas), and now, there is the urea tank issue that costs upwards of $75 every time you change oil or need to add it. If you happen to run low, the sensor will shut off your engine, so you must always carry some with you. The older diesels have a "sootbag" that collects all of the diesel soot and must be "regenerated" and burned off, which ruins your fuel mileage at the least, or plugs up the sensor and shuts off your engine. All said and done, diesels are made to tow, and if you tow a lot, then a diesel may be made for you. But if you only tow a short period of time, then you are waisting your time and money.....but again, that's your choice.
We're not going to go anywhere, because he asked about a particular older truck (the same year and model that I own), versus buying a newer gas truck. So unless you have some personal experience to relate about a 2003 Dodge Ram Diesel, that I take exception to, I'm not going to react to your generalizations except to say that much of what you say does not apply to this year and model, if it does to any.

Ken
Old 03-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
, and now, there is the urea tank issue that costs upwards of $75 every time you change oil or need to add it. If you happen to run low, the sensor will shut off your engine, so you must always carry some with you..
Even though I did post on the DEF issue the OP is right, It does not have anything to do with the truck in question, nor does regeneration.
Not sure where the $75. number comes from either
DEF at the pump is $ 2.79 a gallon and is readily available at any auto part store as well. There is no need to carry any. $15. worth of DEF will run thousands of miles and if running low the truck gives warning for 100's of mile in advance of going to a limp mode.
The truck won't run if you run out of fuel either but most of us don't feel the need to carry an extra jug of it around.
It is pointless to argue about the difference between what you NEED and what you want.
If we bought what we need most of us wouldn't own an Airstream either.

My apology for encouraging this off topic argument. I will try to resist doing it again.
As the owner of 2 Cummins diesels at the present time (99 and 2013) and a member of the Cummins High Mileage club my comments are based on real world experience
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:19 AM   #21
Rivet Master

My experience of 14 years with a Cummins 12 valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
what years were they having problem with fuel pump on the dodge cummings..?
Those pre-1998.5 had 12 valve engines and a mechanical fuel injection pump. This is what I chose to buy in 2000, for reasons of simplicity and reliability.
From 1998.5 for a few years, the 24 valve engines were fitted. These had an electronically controlled, and very expensive, fuel injection pump. This pump was lubricated by diesel fuel from the lift pump. If no after-market fuel pressure gauge has been fitted, and the lift pump becomes worn and inefficient without being noticed, the high pressure injection pump can be ruined from lack of lubrication. This has been a common problem. Various methods have been later adopted to deal with this.
On the subject of leaving the vehicle unused, I can only speak of my 1998 12 valve. I spend 8 months each year at home in England, and 4 months each year with my 12 valve and Airstream in the USA, where half my family lives.
I leave the Ram in my son's garage in MN for eight months. I aim to change the oil and filter just before leaving the Ram, and leave it attached to a "battery minder", with the emergency brake off. When I come back after 8 months, it has immediately started first turn of the key every year for the past 14 winters. I check the tire pressures, let the engine tick over for 30 seconds in Neutral to allow the torque converter to re-fill, and then drive 1600 miles in three days to FL. I've never had a problem with this procedure.
I do my own maintenance and repair on the Ram, unless heavy lifting equipment is required.
Nick.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #22
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I have a 2004.0 with the 305/555 engine. If this 2003 has the same engine then it is the best of the pre-emission Dodge diesels as to the balance of power/economy. My fuel costs -- figured at $4/gl diesel -- are in my signature. Repairs have been about zilch at 197k though work will commence to stay ahead of time/wear potentials.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:13 AM   #23
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Part of the Cummins magic, you have to drive one and then it gets in your blood. Between my '05 and '97 were at 370,000 miles.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
I have to say a lot of good info here for sure..

As for the difference between diesel and Gasser being some 6K's that is the MAIN reason for buying a good used 2003er. I have only bought ONE new vehicle and that was some 25 yr ago..

I find getting a good used car, truck is much less expensive in the long run.

The 2003 i was looking at 2003 DODGE RAM 2500 CREW CAB LARAMIE W/CUMMINS 5.9 TURBO DIESEL looked to be in good overall condition judging by the pictures. After seeing pictures and then the real thing i have figured how to look at pictures to get a good sense of the condition. For 14K OBO this thing a good deal. KBB shows it at $13.3K to $13.8K plus all the work done recently is a plus.

IN looking at Kens numbers the MPG is about same for gas as diesel overall with pulling power going to the diesel and towing at 1 to 3 MPG better as well.

I have been paying attention to weather on national scale more over the past couple years and it seem to me when going from east coast to west you run into two main issues..

1.) when you get about to OK City you are going UP hill to the continental divide.

2.) Most times the wind is coming from the west so you are more likely to be going against the wind as not.

coming back is downhill and down wind

I guess it depends on what you like.

I was also looking at the Buick enclaves. They are a 15mpg overall suv with towing around 12 mpg according to stuff i have read on andy thompson in canada's site. The 2008 models with 104K run around the same $14K mark as well. non towing they are more to the 22 mpg range which might be a bit higher than the 2003 diesel.

so it a tit for tat deal in my mind.

One thing i do like about GM cars/trucks is daytime running lights.. Not sure why more manf are not making ti standard on EVERY vehicle.. too many idiots not turning on lights at dark, not dusk, but dark and during rain..even cops it seems.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Part of the Cummins magic, you have to drive one and then it gets in your blood. Between my '05 and '97 were at 370,000 miles.
I have not driven a cummins pickup but know the magic of cummins engine from a couple years of over the road trucking i did.. I can image in a pickup its more intimate...
Old 09-29-2014, 06:13 PM   #26
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Carl, did you get this truck? Better than what came before it and not exceeded in performance (mpg vs. power) until the latest models.

Edit: I see I replied earlier to a thread that mentions one of the wrong brands of truck. Sorry you missed out on the CTD. I referenced this thread in re another question altogether and wondered . . till I read and recognized your sig on yet another thread.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote