Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
2000 F350 vs Late Model

Greetings,

I continue with my due diligence towards joining the AS cult. With respect to TV's, I am leaning towards a diesel crew cab, 3/4 or 1 ton to pull a Classic.

Turns out my brother-in-law has a 2000 Ford F350 crew cab with the 7.3 Power Stroke diesel if I've got that correct. Dual rear wheels. Get this, only 45,000 miles.

Trying to weigh the pros and cons of the 2000 vs a new or late model.

I am told these 7.3's are bullet proof. Otoh, it was mentioned that the older diesels don't like a steady diet of the newer diesel fuel mixtures.

Technology has come a long ways in almost 17 years too. Is that good or bad?

What about noise levels? I rode in it years ago but can't remember what interior noise was like. Exterior noise is substantial.

Thanks for taking a minute or two to reply with any cogent thoughts or experiences.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:09 AM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My buddy has a 2001 F350 with under 40k miles. It is showroom perfect. It has never been in the weather, has never hauled anything or pulled anything. It has been a garage queen most of its life. I recently drove it on a short trip. It is a nice truck. Sure, you know it's a diesel from the in cab noise, but is hardly objectionable. I would love to have it.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
explorer

Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
The 7.3L is a fantastic motor. Stay away from the 6.0L diesel.

I think the 7.3L diesel is the best motor that ever came in a ford (with the ecoboost in second place).

My 1997 7.3L (in a van) takes modern diesel fuel just fine. They make some additives you can put in your tank if you're worried about lubrication, and some people even put 2 cycle oil in there. I haven't put any additives in for a while, and it does just fine.

The newer diesels make a lot of power, but I don't think the reliability is there like the 7.3L. Newer isn't always better. It's always more electronic, with more sensors and things to go wrong.

The gas v10 is also a great motor, but you'll get low MPGs out of it.

My vote: Snatch that truck from your brother. You won't believe the resale value on a clean, low-mile 7.3L. They hold their value super well because everyone knows what a great truck that is.
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Noisy and not as perky as the new ones, but a great tv. Also remember those were trucks, not what they sell today.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Have to agree - the 7.3 was awesome and all of the followers have been plagued with issues. I do think you should run some diesel power or similar additive to make up for the reduced sulphur and lubrication in current fuel.

Another plus is no need for DEF fluid in the older diesels.

Based on the experience my family has had with the newer fords currently used on their farm, I went with a Cummins for my current truck and love it.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Noisy and not as perky as the new ones, but a great tv. Also remember those were trucks, not what they sell today.
I'm getting some popcorn.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The problem with age isn't drivetrain dependability (but expect that era of auto trans to need serious beef up) its the electrics. Age takes its toll.

80% of the time a vehicle goes to a shop for repair, it is an electrical problem. And the older the vehicle, the higher the rate of failure.

Same for rubber: body and cab bushings, steering and suspension pieces. Then, the surprisingly high number of seals for doors, etc. The parts prices aren't bad, but the labor is tedious (expensive if farmed out).

These can be replaced with NOS. It takes a plan (budget), to be effective.

Once done, reliability goes way back up (given other maintenance to date).

I would also expect the AC system to need complete replacement.

There will always b a good resale market for these. No end of Ford fanboys

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:45 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The problem with age isn't drivetrain dependability (but expect that era of auto trans to need serious beef up) its the electrics.

Totally agree and have seen in friends' vehicles of that era. Plan on getting a rebuilt tranny sooner rather than later.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I will have my 2000 Excursion 7.3 until the day my kids take away my keys. It is more than bullet proof. I know owners with plus 700,000 miles and they are still going strong. We had the body rebuilt,or de-rusted two years ago and now are looking at rebuilding the interior. I have never had problems with accessories, AC, electronics, transmission but the brakes are another story. These beasts have disc and drums, the calipers are prone to freeze up when not used often. I have done three brake jobs so far. If I remember to get them lubricated twice a year I have no problem. I get 14 to 15 MPG towing and up 18MPG without the trailer, this is beating all my friends with their eco-boost engines. It is loud but quiet inside. You will never sneak out of a campground. I have kept my X stock leaving the ride smooth. There is plenty of room to stretch out and my wife's kayak fits inside when we travel. In my opinion this was Ford's perfect vehicle.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I had a 96 and a 2002 7.3 both with automatic transmissions. Both were great trucks. If you keep it totally stock, and you service your transmission, fuel filter and coolant, that truck will last to 500,000 miles. At 40,000 miles, it is barely broke in. I never had any electrical issues and I sold my 96 at 142,000 and 2002 at 187,000 miles. I have since gone to an F250 with the V-10 gas engine and love it. A lot less maintenance and more power than the 7.3. That being said, a 2000 7.3 diesel is a good investment and will pull your Classic easy.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Saint Joseph , Michigan
My 2001 Ford dually 4X4 has 450k and is just getting broken in, 3 generators, both front bearings, three starters, and a water pump, change the oil, change the trany fluid, things the average guy can do and it will out live me. good truck. ps. stay away from that 6L
TruckerFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
If you are considering a new truck, a 250/2500 diesel is more than enough to tow a Classic. If the 2000 F350 price is right, that would be my first choice - 45K mileage is nothing to that diesel.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:03 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Sounds like a winner. I am on my 3rd 7.3...now with an 02-the last full year of 7.3. This one is 6 speed manual but others were auto. They need to run and especially pull loads to stay fresh. Great engine & with regular service will be good for many many miles and maintenance is very reasonable. You can always sell that one easily.
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:17 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
albuquerque , New Mexico
F350 Dually

My experience with our 2003 F250, 7.3ltr deisel, SRW is that unless you pull a heavy trailer on a regular basis, you don't need the dual wheels nor the higher ratio finals in that axel. We haul 8,500-9,000# TT with SRW and realize 11.5-13.5 mpg, hauling in NM,CO,TX and OK. My personal opinion. ...HAPPY TRAILS !
splintair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:07 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I owned and drove a 7.3, it was a good engine, 185000, rite head gasket started to leak at the rite rear corner, the o7 dodge with a 6.7 was sooo much better more power, 350 hp, 6 speed auto double over, , 10 years later 17 ram 6.7, 370 hp and 800 ft lbs torque, every year or two they get better, new technology, the 7.3 is old technology.....I would never go back...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
2021 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
North Port , Florida
If you want it to drive like a car, look at the newer trucks. That 2000 would be a great truck. Regular maintenance and these will last forever. Our 04 work truck is going on 350k miles being fully loaded weighing in around 13,000 lbs. 2nd motor but original trans.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
St Lawrence , Pennsylvania
I bought my 2001 F350 DRW 8ft Crew Cab for my son in 2005 to pull a 1990 AS Excella 25 ft that he inherited from my wife's uncle.

As others have testified, that engine is durable and any diesel mechanic and shade tree mechanic can work on it. There are several good online forums for that engine with guys who love that engine and always offer help.

I know my son will always have enough truck for any hill and enough stopping ability even if the electric brakes fail.

I drive several newer Ford F250s and 350s for work and like the Lariat and Sync.

Yes I switched out the radio to a Bluetooth model for my phone and Ipod.

I would never be able to justify buying a newer model at current prices.
rjmaype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffySmith View Post
Greetings,

I continue with my due diligence towards joining the AS cult. With respect to TV's, I am leaning towards a diesel crew cab, 3/4 or 1 ton to pull a Classic.

Turns out my brother-in-law has a 2000 Ford F350 crew cab with the 7.3 Power Stroke diesel if I've got that correct. Dual rear wheels. Get this, only 45,000 miles.

Trying to weigh the pros and cons of the 2000 vs a new or late model.

I am told these 7.3's are bullet proof. Otoh, it was mentioned that the older diesels don't like a steady diet of the newer diesel fuel mixtures.

Technology has come a long ways in almost 17 years too. Is that good or bad?

What about noise levels? I rode in it years ago but can't remember what interior noise was like. Exterior noise is substantial.

Thanks for taking a minute or two to reply with any cogent thoughts or experiences.
Good luck finding anything of that vintage that is not perforated with rust. All 3 major brands were terrible for rust during those years. They're great trucks and run forever but you might want to fly down to Texas and get one.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:28 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Sure you have to be a conciencious shopper and check it over but I think it comes down to many thousands difference in cost to purchase. IF you have the ability buy new...there are many great reasons to do that. But if a reliable strong TV for a few thousand dollars is the goal...the old 7.3 is hard to beat as is the old Cummins. I drive an older 7.3 because it does the job well and fits the budget. Enjoy!
Dave
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
Info for all

To all forum members Please read.

I would like to post a persons name that tried to scam me. As some of U may have seen there was a Magnum energy inverter for sale. The is me. This guy name is Mike Mccormack that contacted me he wanted to buy it from me. He said he would send me a bank check and after it cleared I could send him the inverter. I to him no problem.

Here R his last response to me.

I have a good news for you regarding the payment. I had just read from my debtor that the payment has been issued out to you and that you will be receiving it any moment from now. But there is a big problem because she was informing me that she sent out the whole amount she was owing me instead of her to just send you the amount for the items I am purchasing from you, I was so mad at her when I heard this because I don't know if my money will be safe with you when you got it. I wanted her to send the remaining of the funds to my art work seller for the art works I needed. just don't know what to do. because I am totally confused, Please, May I know if my money will be safe with you when you get the payment and will I be able to get the remaining of my money after you might have deducted your amount for the items?. Because I need you to have the remaining money sent through western union or money gram to my Art work dealer as soon as you receive the payment.

This came after a week went by and I asked where is a check

Then this is the next response from him.

Oh no i am truly sorry,i was hospitalized for some days and i just came back from the hospital. You will receive your check very soon. Once again i am truly sorry for the delaying of this transaction ok. Just please bear with me ok

Last response from him.

The reason is that the company are waiting for my go ahead before they can send the check,but to my illness,that is why they haven't send it to you. But i promise you will get your check real soon ok

So all I can say is if this guy wants to buy from U do not deal with him he is a not an honest person to deal with and is a lire, an might scam U if he can.
Jim

My add will be put back in the forum.
rmatkovich is offline   Reply With Quote