Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
If you can 4 WD is the best way to go. I have used mine on moderate slippery grass and gravel when needed. The resale value on a 2 WD these days is lower than a 4 WD.
There will be a day when you either wished you got it or glad you made the choice.
Fuel mileage between the two are unnoticeable.
Love my 2012 F-250 6.7 King Ranch seat heat and seat AC is the bomb!!
Thomas
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 06:48 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
No doubt get 4 WD with a low range transfer case! If for no other reason but to make it easy to back a trailer uphill. You will get most of any cost back at resale! I'd get a manually lockable differential at both ends if it was me because the clutches wear out by 70,000 miles in the limited slip type. You probably don't need lockers but you don't really have all wheel drive without them.
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I bought 2wd on my 08 Tundra because it was $3,000 cheaper, had electronic LSD, higher payload, no maintenance cost or problems if you don't have it, 1 mpg better fuel economy. Since purchase I have found the LSD to be worthless. Never been stuck, but I do travel with a set of chains just in case. I would make the same decision again although I would like to have a rear locking differential. My understanding is that nobody makes one for the Tundra.

Good luck in your decision.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:23 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Golden , Colorado
2 WD vs 4WD Tow vehicle

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1484108184.743737.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	277981

4x4 When you need it it's there and you'll be darn glad it is. Besides traveling in and out of Colorado year round I have used it often for most of the above reasons. Traveling back from Mesa, AZ on Saturday the snow was packed and really heavy stoping in Las Vegas, NM for fuel. I would not be without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
2022 25RBT FC, 50A Dual AC, Awning Package, 270W Solar, Convection Microwave. Ceramic Coat, Grand Lounge, 3" Lift, 16" Michelin RIBs, Multiplus II, Battleborn 400A, MPPT 100/50, Orion-TR 30, EasyStart (2), Easy Touch, AirKrafters jenRack, Onan 2500i, Truma Aquago Confort, Starlink, Pepwave, Parsec
2012FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I can't image not having 4wd for the exploring we do in our travels. I don't tow in the snow so that is not an issue. However, one of the state forest campground we often use has a step incline that 4wd drive is helpful and keeps from spraying the Airstream with gravel.

By far the bigger us for us is more the back road, fire road type day trips without the trailer in tow. It just comes down to how you use your vehicle. If you are always in RV resorts, stay on pavement and don't live or travel in the snow belt, 2WD is cheaper and less hassle for maintenance.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:42 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
4WD.....no question. Adds very little to the price. Just get stuck in slippery glass and you'll be happy you chose 4WD.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:34 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
I don't tow in the snow either but last September when we crossed Vail Pass, Colorado there was sleet in the air. I'm one of those guys that stresses if I'm not prepared for the "What ifs" so having 4WD gave me some peace of mind... didn't need it but it was nice to have it if I needed it.

Of course, I use my truck for more than towing and living in the Pacific Northwest makes 4WD a "must have". I have absolutely no use for a less capable truck.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:12 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
You can certainly get by without the 4wd but it can be very limiting on where you may park.
There have been times when we have camped in open fields at a rally and woken to heavy dew or heavy rains - which can be a mess.
KY is hilly ground so some campgrounds we have been too require putting the trailer up on several layers of blocks to get it level. I put the transfer case in 4wd low and you have instant farm tractor - no stress or strain on the torque convertor or transmission.
Maybe it's just what a person is exposed to in life. I have grown up and live in a rural area where 4wd is just required. A couple in our KY unit travels extensively and gets by just fine with his 2wd half ton. I prefer to keep my 4wd security blanket.
It would be nice if manufacturers would have a 4wd truck that didn't sit so high and the bed not so deep. This is a poor set up for those who use their trucks for work, camping, etc..... I guess a custom air suspension would be the answer.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
You can certainly get by without the 4wd but it can be very limiting on where you may park.
There have been times when we have camped in open fields at a rally and woken to heavy dew or heavy rains - which can be a mess.
KY is hilly ground so some campgrounds we have been too require putting the trailer up on several layers of blocks to get it level. I put the transfer case in 4wd low and you have instant farm tractor - no stress or strain on the torque convertor or transmission.
Maybe it's just what a person is exposed to in life. I have grown up and live in a rural area where 4wd is just required. A couple in our KY unit travels extensively and gets by just fine with his 2wd half ton. I prefer to keep my 4wd security blanket.
It would be nice if manufacturers would have a 4wd truck that didn't sit so high and the bed not so deep. This is a poor set up for those who use their trucks for work, camping, etc..... I guess a custom air suspension would be the answer.
My 2000 4wheel drive chev. 2500 setup all heavy duty w/off road pkg. w/8ft. bed is not as you would call high, but my sons 2003 ford 3/4 pu equip. same way with out any mods takes a lunch and step ladder to get in cab and bed as Ford is larger pu his is cab and 1/2 w/ shorter bed.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Watching the recent "blizzard" that affected us in the SE reminded me of another experience where 4wd made a difference. I was in the Smokies when an unexpected snow storm came through. When they cleared the roads they made a small speed bump of ice and snow at basically every driveway. Anyone with a 2WD truck was stuck in whatever parking lot they started in. It was slick enough they couldn't push themselves over, and if they got a running start then the back tires would hang.

I pulled a few people over with my tow rope...
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
We have always owned 4x4's for our TV. Additional maintenance costs and mileage loss is not as big as some may think; < 1-3 mpg, depending on your speed.

Many compelling reasons to own 4x4 as mentioned...truest comment: "you'll be glad you have it when you need it!" We primarily have used/needed the 4x4 while driving in Northern states and Rockies, in winter especially, although we typically do not tow in winter. We just drove from TX to MT and back through WY, CO, and NM coming home on major highways...I would not have made it safely without a 4x4. I shifted to 2 w drive at our hotel in CO and back end got "loose" when I was coming out of the parking lot; I did not even see there was ice; I quickly shifted into Auto and kept going. We also have used the "Auto" and/or "4x4-High" options on wet roads, in dirt, sand (beach), or grassy campgrounds. Nice to have the traction there available, even when not towing.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 01:05 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
New Ashford , Massachusetts
Biggest problem with 4wd.

When you have it and don't need it no problem. When you need it and don't have it BIG PROBLEM.

Someone else said it 95% of the time it's just wasted weight. 5% of the time you'll love it.

Joe D
Dexterpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:39 AM   #53
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterpix View Post
Biggest problem with 4wd.

When you have it and don't need it no problem. When you need it and don't have it BIG PROBLEM.

Someone else said it 95% of the time it's just wasted weight. 5% of the time you'll love it.

Joe D

Total annual miles in 4WD? Proportion of same towing a TT?

It won't be 5% of total annual miles. Not even 1%.

4WD simply makes a bad TV worse. In every category. Steering cut, handling, braking, etc.

This nations infrastructure was somehow built without 4WD pickup trucks as the vast majority of it was done before the option was available.

Plenty of workarounds.

Crappy steering every mile is a very high price to pay for a moments inconvenience.

As with any TV, solo miles should dominate in vehicle spec.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:44 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
4WD simply makes a bad TV worse. In every category. Steering cut, handling, braking, etc.
Crappy steering every mile is a very high price to pay for a moments inconvenience.

Wow, someone had a bad experience....

But the facts don't back you up. A modern 4wd pickup in 2wd mode is going to drive and handle the same. You won't notice a very slightly larger turning radius. The front wheels are disconnected at both the hubs and the transfer case. You won't feel it at all while driving. Braking will be the same, the extra weight isn't enough to make a noticeable difference in braking.

Like many others have said on here - you won't need it 99% of the time. But when you do need there is no "workaround". You're just screwed and you'll have to find a Good Samaritan or call a tow truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:15 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
It really comes down to whatever I can get a deal on used. 4x4 truck use to be a lot taller than the 2WD versions. Now days all of them are way too tall which make it a worse vehicle all around unless your hobby is offroad driving. It would be nice if they could make a truck that was not 3-4 feet off the ground. Even the Tacoma is being super sized. I use a 2WD Excursion and it has great traction with 2WD. The weight distribution is better than a truck.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:21 AM   #56
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bouldero , Colorado
4x4 or nothing

Story time:

Many moons ago, we had our rig set up on a designated hillside plot in Allegheny State Park. We experienced rain for two days and by the time we had to leave, our truck (almost 7700lb 4x4 duramax) was unable to pull the trailer out even with 4 wheel engaged. It was simply too muddy. Luckily, the campground sent a tractor out to help people get unstuck.

Bottom line, we use the 4 wheel more than we ever expected, especially when we get ourselves backed into some peculiar spots. I am considering getting a winch to lessen our reliance on tractors.

There is something to be said for a nice RWD diesel van... but that wouldn't fly with our likelihood to be on soft terrain (very high).

I hope you love whatever vehicle you wind up with!
Bobpuvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:58 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
KY is hilly ground so some campgrounds we have been too require putting the trailer up on several layers of blocks to get it level.
You forgot to mention that wonderful Kentucky gray/river bottom clay that is an excellent lubricant for your tires. There is also the green mold that grows in the open areas where grass can't because it's on top of a limestone slab.

I think 4WD is the minimum, some even have winches on the front of their TV for when the going gets tough. I've spun wheels in enough grass, wet streets and boat ramps. I got the FT4WD offered in my year and have been nothing but happy ever since. Haven't had to use the low transfer or locking center differential yet, but I have peace of mind knowing that it's there in case I need it.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:22 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
If you can afford the initial upfront cost of the 4wd(which is minimal).It is a better investment as the resale is much better and demand is higher than the 2wd variant.It is actually free by the time you figure what is costs upfront vs what it brings when you sell or trade.Fuel economy and additional service costs negligible.
Why would you not have it?
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #59
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Why would you not have it?
Primarily for the less precise steering and worse handling, due to suspension design. Higher fuel consumption, more weight, reduced payload, higher capital cost and higher operating costs are factors, but the handling is the most important one to me. Unless it is a lighter awd vehicle where reasonable handling is maintained.

Many years back I drove a tow truck in a family automotive service business. We did a lot of 4wd recovery. We joked that 4wd just got people further down a trail that they shouldn't have been on in the first place. We rarely pulled them out with 4wd, we always used a winch. Good business in that. One of the recovery trucks was 2wd with a winch. Always fun pulling a 4wd out after they tell you it will be impossible to reach it with 2wd.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:09 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
2 WD vs 4WD Tow vehicle

Trucks are not race vehicles so none of them handle like a car nor are they built for that..The new 4wd vehicles ;pickups included )do a very good job when it comes to handling.Very little difference in payload between 2wd an 4wd.Fuel economy difference is not a factor in the newer trucks as the wind will create more of a difference than a 4wd system.Neither 2wd or 4 wd trucks are not aerodynamic by any means so very little difference there
There are always going to be those that think because they have 4wd that they can go any where.
4wd is a tool and just another arrow in your quiver when it comes to towing.
But when need the added traction while pulling your Airstream when the need arises there is nothing like turning a switch and driving away.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote