Old 03-09-2009, 12:00 AM   #1
Hedonistic Bohemian

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
2 questions on '06 F350

OK. Bought the Airstream, but that's another story. Now I for sure need to get at tow vehicle.

I'm looking at this 2006 F-350 V10 FX4 w/4.1 axle ratio. I know that will do the Airstream, and should cover a medium sized fifth wheel too.

Two questions:

1) I have only just realized that this is an FX - sort of an off-road tweaked beast. Would that affect its use as a TV, esp. for the 5th wheel?

2) My brother-in-law claims they started making vehicles so that you cannot siphon gas out of them. I wanted to be able to use the tank as storage for generator fuel. Is he right about that? Will that foil my plan to siphon?

-CB-

Old 03-09-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Bo,

Others will chime on on your TV selection, but I would steer clear of any 1 ton, without softening the suspension or an air ride hitch. They tend to pound the trailer pretty good and are hard on the Stream.

I like the Burb, but thats just me.

It is difficult to syphon from the newer vehicles, but you can tap into the fuel rail and pump gas from there directly into the generator.

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:28 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
OK. Bought the Airstream, but that's another story. Now I for sure need to get at tow vehicle.

I'm looking at this 2006 F-350 V10 FX4 w/4.1 axle ratio. I know that will do the Airstream, and should cover a medium sized fifth wheel too.

Two questions:

1) I have only just realized that this is an FX - sort of an off-road tweaked beast. Would that affect its use as a TV, esp. for the 5th wheel?

2) My brother-in-law claims they started making vehicles so that you cannot siphon gas out of them. I wanted to be able to use the tank as storage for generator fuel. Is he right about that? Will that foil my plan to siphon?

-CB-
CB,

The only difference between the 1 ton and the 3/4 ton is the helper spring. The ride is absolutely no different until you have about 3400+/- lbs in the bed.

The FX4 is sort of an off road beast, but not really too terribly different from any of the others. They just come standard with the skidplates and that ugly sticker on the bed. The interior is a bit nicer than the XLT, but not as nice as the Lariat. The axles, springs and drivetrain are no different.

The single rear wheels have less capacity for towing a 5er. You can do it, just stay with a small trailer.

I would hold out to find a diesel, but that is just my opinion. The V10 should do you just fine. That being said, plan on the 4:10 axle being a gas hog.

Woody
Old 03-09-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I don't know about later models, but in 2002 the F250 and single-rear-wheel F350 were identical, drivetrain, chassis, axles, and springs, including "auxiliary" aka overload springs. The 4WD F350 had 3-1/2" blocks between the rear axle and springs, while the 4WD F250 had 1-1/2" blocks between the rear axle and springs. Early in the model year, and possibly in the year prior, Ford was providing the shorter blocks (and shocks IIRC) to F350 owners who were having problems with the rear of the bed hitting fifth wheels. My F250 needs a 6" drop stinger on the Hensley while F350 owners needed 8" drops (again, IIRC).

As far as capacity, I loaded 2300 pounds of roofing in the bed of our F250 and the auxiliary springs were just beginning to touch their stops on the front of the leaf but not the rear and at that point the total truck weight was right about 10,000 pounds with two men in the cab. The purpose of the auxiliary springs are to protect the last bit of suspension travel when heavily loaded and they make the springs VERY stiff. You definitely don't want to get into that while towing an Airstream, but then with less 2,000 pounds on the rear axle from tongue weight (reduced somewhat by weight distribution) and bed load, you probably won't. In that case, the F250 and SRW F350 ride relatively smoothly. That certainly ISN'T the case with a dual-rear wheel F350, with much heavier rear axle and springs.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I understand that some of the V10"s had some galling problems in the engine. I would look into that type engine before making a purchase. My neighbor just had to have his V 10 engine on his Excursion replaced on the 2005 model for that same reason. Luckly, Ford footed the bill even though it was out of warranty. I don't mean to stay away from that vehicle or engine. It's just what I have heard. It may have just been a few made on 2005. But I think if I was considering that engine choice I would find out the whole story.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #6
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Nice truck, you won't have to worry about upgrading in the future, this will handle any AS and many other RV's, if that is a concern.
The anti-siphon feature was added recently 08/09? So it should not apply to your 06.

Rock on-nice truck.

Bill