Old 08-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
2 questions: Ford factory brake control and IBall Back up camera?

1. Does any one have any experience with the factory brake controller for Ford Pick-up trucks? I have a new F150 Ecoboost that I was thinking about having the dealership install a factory brake control in.
2. IBall back up camera - Any users that can talk from actual experience on how they are working out for them?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I installed the factory brake controller in my own 2010 F-150. The controller works great and will integrate nicely with the rest of the trucks electronics. The physical installation is pretty quick but there is need of software to activate the unit once installed. I can't imagine wanting an aftermarket controller in this truck.....

I have no idea what the Iball camera is but I have a regular tailgate mounted back up camera that came with my F-150 and it makes hooking up the trailer a snap!

Bruce

Old 08-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
I have the I-Ball camera and it works very well. The only exception is at certain times in the day if I am backing into the storage slot to hook up. Going from bright sun into deep shade just doesn't work. Any other time and place, it has been a great aid.

I have an Airsafe hitch and I use the the magnet to stick the camera on the hitch, pointing down at 45 degrees. At that angle, I can see the coupler for about the last 4 feet when backing in.

I keep the display plugged in to the lighter sockets until the camera is safely stowed in the door pocket. That way, I will never forget to stow the camera. I don't think the magnet would hold going over a big bump such as a speed bump.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not sure but I think the trailer sway control feature works through the factory controller on Ford. It applies sway correction by braking the trailer?

doug k
Old 08-06-2012, 02:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Not sure but I think the trailer sway control feature works through the factory controller on Ford. It applies sway correction by braking the trailer?

doug k
I believe it applies truck brakes on the left or right side of the truck to combat sway...
Bruce
Old 08-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I believe it applies truck brakes on the left or right side of the truck to combat sway...
Bruce
That is how I understand it to work. According to Ford it is a fully integrated system. I have another controller but thought it might be nice to have the Ford system due to way it works with the Ford sync system. Reviews I have read on other forums are all positve. Price is actually pretty reasonable from my local dealership compared to other controllers with the 15% discount I get from them for parts and labor. I had no problem installing the other controller so should be able to install the Ford unit myself.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #7
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
TI had no problem installing the other controller so should be able to install the Ford unit myself.
The installation isn't the problem, it's getting the dealer to reprogram the computer on the truck so it will work. I have personally been told the dealer can't program the vehicle for any add-ons, because of liability. I then called another dealer, and had no trouble.
I have the factory controller, it works very well. If it wasn't for the truck slowing down (a lot) on hills, I could forget the trailer is back there.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Terry, thanks, I am going to give the dealership a call and see what they say about the programming cost (?), etc. It might be easier and more cost effective to just have them do the installation and the reprogramming at the same time. Will have to see what they say. Their customer service is pretty good so I think we will be able to work something out.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Update on Iball purchase and return:
I like the concept but execution not so hot. Installed as instructed in my Ford F150. Perfect picture when the camera is close to the display. When I moved the camera to the back of the truck the display starting showing wavy black lines, enough to make the unit unusable. I contacted the manufacture and was told that no fix was possible and that I should return the product to Amazon. I am doing that, but do it with reservations because the fix to me seems so simple. Redesign the unit to be frequency selectable. Some other brands use up to 3 different frequencies to allow for a clear channel.

Next step, try another brand: Swift Hitch SH02 Portable Wireless Camera System.
Anyone with actual personal experience with this one?