Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2008, 11:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
2.0 - 2.5 MPG gain 4 free

Hi, I just gained 2.0 MPG on the way to my last camp out and gained 2.5 MPG on my way back home; The thing that makes it good was it was free. I did not modify my Intake system or Exhaust system and I did not buy a computer chip. [no changes to vehicle at all] All I did was SLOW DOWN. I usually tow at 65 MPH and average 11.5 MPG; But by lowering my cruise control to 60 MPH I got 13.5 MPG on the trip south and 14.0 MPG on the trip back north. I also kicked it out of overdrive on inclines.
Anyone else out there that has increased fuel mileage, either free or cheap? At, or near, $4.00 per gallon we need any ideas and experiences you have to share with this forum.

POST # 1000
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:52 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I use the "P" feature on my automatic transmission

Seriously, I think before I get in the truck to go anywhere, if it is under 5 miles and doesn't require hauling, I will grab a bicycle for the trip. I live out in the sticks, so a trip to town is a minimum of 35 mile round trip. We have long been in the habit of only making that trip once every couple of weeks, now it has been stretched out to once a month or when I am passing thru on the way to and from my job sites.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Gas Mileage

Yea I figured that out when I bought this trailer.
Towing it home I got 14 MPG.
I also didn't go over 55 MPH. I was not very popular. It was the first time I had pulled a trailer that long and was nervous.
As my subsequent trips got faster the MPG went down.
The last rally I again went 55 and did the weekend on a half a tank of gas (here to Williamsburg, around town and back).
I was happy.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
Great thread ROBERT and congrats on your post #1000!

We typically tow at 65 - 70 in the 65 mph zones. I will have to try out the "slowing" down on our next trip out. Every little bit helps!

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 05:56 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Congrats on #1000.
We noticed a similar phenomenon when we went to North Carolina last fall, we got 14mpg towing Bertha when I drove at 50-55 mph.
I've been preaching the "slow down and save money" thing forever. For anybody interested, 50mph is the "wall", after which fuel consumption goes down fast. EPA fuel mileage testing is done at 48 mph for this reason. That's also why the national speed limit was 55 for so long.
I had documented several trips towing our Argosy in South Florida, where it is pretty much flat, and got similar results, towing from 55-70 mph.
If the national speed limit went back to 55, two things would happen:
1-"fleet" fuel consumption would drop by millions of gallons.
2-virtually every driver would die of boredom...
Old 04-07-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Thumbs up Light foot - Shorter trips

I have two cars, a Porsche and a SSR. They both get around 20 mpg. The MoHo gets 10. I only use these for pleasure. I also have a Vespa ( 75 mpg ) I use on a daily basis. I bought the Vespa for pleasure and as my MoHo toad but it has become my daily transporter.

My Spring trip in the MoHo was only 300 miles. Compare that to about 3000 the year before.

I also live on a lake and I traded my 150hp two cycle fishing boat for a 50hp four cycle pontoon boat.

You know what, I spend less on my total fuel bill that I have in the last two years and I don't miss a thing. It's kinda fun to screw them at their own game.

I worry more about the price of wine than of fuel! Now there's something that's hard to cut back on.

Am I becoming a green person? (gasp)
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:04 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
I don't mind driving 55mph at all. It allows me to relax more and pay attention to what I am doing as well as enjoy the trip more. I don't like to be on a trip somewhere and be in a big hurry. I feel safer at 55 and it does help with the gas mileage.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Robert,

1K post congrats! I haven't tested the idea of slowing down yet but am confident slowing down will help. Thanks for the reminder.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Another freebie to save gas is to set the tire pressure on the tow vehicle at the highest pressure printed on the side of the tire. It lowers rolling resistence thus improving gas mileage.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #10
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pop Rivet
......You know what, I spend less on my total fuel bill that I have in the last two years and I don't miss a thing. It's kinda fun to screw them at their own game........

Am I becoming a green person? (gasp)
That's kinda the way we feel about it, too. We're getting ready to buy a new family car. The old minivan is on its last leg after 200k miles and 10 years. We've pretty much decided to go hybrid this time round.

Going green is easy when there are reasonable (read: not outrageously expensive) alternatives.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
Sure enough, I can verify that driving slower will save fuel, allow more viewing of the scenery, and reduce stress. However, it is the basis for "Diesel on My Tail"!
Oh, our 1995 minivan was showing problems with the trans, so we bit the silver bullet and bought a Prius. Green green, and green.
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:20 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
I'm joining in to voice support for slowing down to save gas and $$. Every article I've read that gives advice on saving fuel costs includes the 55 mph factor. I've been doing this for over a year now, can sometimes persuade my DH to drive more slowly as well, and I've recruited a few friends who now are cruising more slowly. Besides "free" gas improvement, I find that I am much less stressed on the road and yes, I really do pay more attention to the journey instead of just racing to the destination. In fact, I'm amazed at the traffic that swirls up to and then around me, all rushing and burning the gas that they then bemoan. It's better for safety (remember the 55 mph speed limits--brought down death/accidient rates until the faster speed was reinstated), would mean real savings nationwide while we are in this energy emergency/transition to something more economical, lowers the blood pressure (mine at least!), and gives you time to see the country you drive through. All good and green to my way of thinking. I encourage you all to join in reducing your speed limit, daily as well as trailering, to the 55-60 range! Perhaps if you do, or are already doing the 55, you could post here and we could see a forum movement take form! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
If the national speed limit went back to 55, two things would happen:
1-"fleet" fuel consumption would drop by millions of gallons.
2-virtually every driver would die of boredom...
3-revenues from speeding citations would increase exponentially
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:01 PM   #14
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Another way to save fuel is by looking ahead, and letting a vehicle coast to a red light instead of braking for it last minute. Braking is nothing more than destroying pre-paid motion. This is one of the reasons that a slower pace uses less energy.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
I have been a proponent of slowing down for a long time. A couple of years ago drove our 01 Impala (not a small car) with a 3.4 litre, from MN to Milwaukee and back. I kept the speed down to 55-60. I got just over 35mpg both ways. I also try to never exceed 60 when I am using the 04 Silverado. It has the 5.3 and 3.73 rearend. When I am not towing I can get right around 20 mpg. It also helps to not have jackrabbit starts and stops.

Go ahead, save some gas.
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe
3-revenues from speeding citations would increase exponentially
Yes, that too...
Old 04-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #17
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
The data has changed

The speed vs MPG chart has changed over the years (see attached). I wasn't able to find this figure on the EPA site, but it is supposedly EPA data. Notice that MPG loss at speeds above 55 mph has improved since the 70s. I added the arrow at 60 MPH. I wish these figures were available for pickups iin adddition to the combined data for all vehicles.

My current TV (91 F250 7.3L PSD) is fairly new to me, however, it was my impression on the one long trip I have taken it on that it was using less fuel at 60 than 55. I can't prove that as this impression came from watching the gauge, but I wonder if the extra 5mph off set some of the hill climbing issues? Also, this observation was based on a small (under 200 mile) segment of the trip, so other factors such as wind might have been in play. In any case, at 60 mph I was able to get just over 15 mpg towing.

Another question I have is this: what is the best driving approach for fuel economy on the two lane (ie slower speed) mountain roads with lots of climbs and descents? Much of my summer will hopefully be spent towing on these roads so the better the mileage the better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mpg_vs_speed copy.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	57790  

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:42 PM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Way back when, 50 was considered optimum for cars, and 60 was considered optimum for large trucks, as they were supposed to be geared to operate more efficiently at 60. President Nixon ordered the 55 mph national speed limit as a compromise between the two. Of course, he also said he wasn't a crook...
I do know that current EPA MPG highway test speed is 48 mph.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:41 PM   #19
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
The speed vs MPG chart has changed over the years (see attached). I wasn't able to find this figure on the EPA site, but it is supposedly EPA data. Notice that MPG loss at speeds above 55 mph has improved since the 70s. I added the arrow at 60 MPH. I wish these figures were available for pickups iin adddition to the combined data for all vehicles.

My current TV (91 F250 7.3L PSD) is fairly new to me, however, it was my impression on the one long trip I have taken it on that it was using less fuel at 60 than 55. I can't prove that as this impression came from watching the gauge, but I wonder if the extra 5mph off set some of the hill climbing issues? Also, this observation was based on a small (under 200 mile) segment of the trip, so other factors such as wind might have been in play. In any case, at 60 mph I was able to get just over 15 mpg towing.

Another question I have is this: what is the best driving approach for fuel economy on the two lane (ie slower speed) mountain roads with lots of climbs and descents? Much of my summer will hopefully be spent towing on these roads so the better the mileage the better.
GD, your mpg is most likely due to diesel engines reaching peak efficiency at 1800 RPM. I have found same (not towing mpg); better mpg at ~73 mph (22mpg) than at 65 (~18mpg)...at some point, of course, increased friction forces at greater speed would catch up to you and you would notice a decrease, but I do not drive faster than 73 mph so I never reached the point of diminishing returns...

BTW-enjoy your adventure!

Bill
Old 04-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #20
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
Another freebie to save gas is to set the tire pressure on the tow vehicle at the highest pressure printed on the side of the tire. It lowers rolling resistence thus improving gas mileage.

Unfortunately this practice may have a deleterious effect on handling. There is, generally, a front-to-rear pressure differential depending on the vehicle make and model. This is not always the manufacturers way of ensuring a smooth ride, that has generally been superceded by, first, the need for overall fleet economy, and, two, by closer inspection of safe handling by engineers and the lawyers looking over their shoulders since the Explorer/Firestone debacle of a few years ago.

For example, my Dodge truck has guidelines for tire pressure when loaded and unloaded. In both cases the front pressure is to remain at one point, only the rear is increased.

If, after towing (and having been at the rear limit) I go to drive around town -- the handling, while on the freeway -- is markedly inferior to the unloaded tire pressure dynamics. It is obvious to the passenger (the truck sways).

When, in this truck, the pressure is set at the lower, recommended limit, the soft tires and propensity toward sway tend to work together. The steering input and reaction of the truck to same is moderated by having a "softer" tire.

My tires are new, but the oem item. The shocks are also new, the alignment dead on. I also have several CAT Scale tickets which show my truck, solo, loaded or unloaded for purposes of planning. I recommend this tip highly.

Safety trumps fuel economy. Therefore, should one be willing to experiment it would need to be with no dimunition of safe handling or braking. In example, a harsher ride can be more wearing, offsetting any potential gains.

I fully agree with the premise that overall low cost of ownership for a given number of miles over a given period of time is through close attention to details and careful experimentation.

I would say the same for modifying the suspension: one may lower the nose for better wind penetration, but then the vehicle balance is, again, deleteriously affected.

And the same is true for engine modifications. There are kits to change the mechanical ignition timing for some engines. This may work well in situations where the engine is under no load, and increase mpg incrementally. But the engine "may" overheat under load, or begin to wear at a faster rate. Etc.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote