Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Yes...I don't use it often but I do need it.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, get a transfer case from California or someplace like it; Most transfer cases are hardly ever used. I found out at the Ford dealer, that I worked at, most people don't even know how to use them.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 09:50 PM   #23
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
Be advised that "Bob" is giving you intel on southern california. then again one would also expect a lack of operating knowledge from ford folk, so cal just compounds that unawareness. lol

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:11 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner View Post
Be advised that "Bob" is giving you intel on southern california. then again one would also expect a lack of operating knowledge from ford folk, so cal just compounds that unawareness. lol

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:13 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, get a transfer case from California or someplace like it; Most transfer cases are hardly ever used. I found out at the Ford dealer, that I worked at, most people don't even know how to use them.
That's a good idea, with respect to California, Florida, etc., because here in Maine, and many other Northern states, the transfer case wears out right along with the tranny! I live in town - but in the past month or so I've been shifting into 4wd the minute I leave my driveway.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
Drive it It prob be fine! I had same problem on one of our shop trucks and it has made it another 200k since the issue! With over 300k on it know... They are tougher then you may think... (It is a Chevy they never die just get a lil older and lil meaner) LOL

The transfer case new at advance auto is $1300.00 Junk yard is around $800.00 Labor should be less then $500.00.... Well worth keepn even it you need one...
shermantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 11:37 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1999 3/4 Ton Suburban and Expensive Repairs

Greetings tlavergne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavergne View Post
Need some other people's thoughts on a subject. We have a 1999 3/4 ton Suburban with a 454 engine that is used mainly for towing the A/S.
I have the exact seem model Suburban and keep it around for much the same reason. Currently, mine has 199,000 miles and I intend to keep it in service and make repairs as necessary as the later models with the 8.1 Liter VORTEC V8 have earned a less than stellar reputation for reliability. The weak point with the 1999 is the transfer case and related controls.

Quote:
We just lost the rear seal to our transfer case last weekend and lost all the fluid and it was making noise. I replaced the seal and it is running fine (no noise from case) but I know the transfer case is compromised and won't trust it towing the A/S.
What you are describing is exactly what happened to me almost two years ago, but mine also has the complicating factor of its 15,000 mile problem of a blown electronic control board for the automatic transfer case controls. My dealer's mechanic who has maintained the truck since it was new recommended that I not even drive the truck until I can either rebuild or replace the transfer case.

Quote:
A rebuilt case, installed, is $2100. Used cases are hard to find at a wrecking yard (I found one for $900 + labor for the install. I am better off with remanned case). From what I have found out from wrecking yards is the Cash For Clunkers program resulted in older vehicles being crushed and thus they were not parted out, causing a shortage of this kind of part.
Based upon my research, I have concluded that there is far too much risk in having a salvaged transfer case installed since they seem to have about a 200,000 mile life expectancy from what my mechanic and other mechanis in my area are telling me. My mechanic has also steered me away from several rebuilds due to known reliability issues with products from those particular rebuilders. The cheapest rebuild that my mechanic has been willing to recommend to me was priced at just short of $3,000.

Quote:
So here is the question. How much is too much to put into a vehicle for repairs? This one has 120,000 miles on it and has been a great tow vehicle, other than fuel mileage. Between the transfer case, the need for new tires, and some door rust work, I am looking at investing $4000 dollars in a 1999 vehicle. I doubt it is worth $4000 on the market (pre-trashed transfer case). However, I know the history of this vehicle since I have had essentially since it was new.
When I purchased my Suburban, I knew that it was going to be a long-term member of my vehcle family since I special ordered it with every option that I wanted. It was Ziebarted when new so has no rust and the interior still looks like new. I determined that I would rather spend money on a known quantity as to buy an equivalent new Suburban with a list price in excess of $50,000.

I have been postponing the needed transfer case and control work as my plan is to get rid of the notoriously unreliable four-wheel drive equipment and return mine to the more reliable two-wheel drive. My mechanic advises me that it may require purchasing a salvage 2500 series pickup from which to scavenge parts, but the overall cost of the conversion should be less than $4,000. In the 13 years that I have owned the Suburban the four-wheel-drive has only been operational once when I would have liked to use it -- otherwise it has been inoperable due to problems with the electronic controls for the transfer case.

My perception is that if I have my mechanic make the conversion to two-wheel drive, I will be able to make my Suburban last as long as I am able to drive. I am accustomed to driving vehicles over 30 years of age so the age of the vehicle is inconsequential to me. I know my approach to the solution is unconventional, but I have already expended more than $3,000 in non-waranteed replacements of the electronic transfer case control modules.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Kevin,
Great info, thanks. I have decided to keep this truck for the long run. You have confirmed what I have been thinking. I have had zero problems with my 4 wheel drive up till now and I use it quite often. I have decided that a used case is risky and I am not happy with a remanned case. I don't know who rebuilt it and what they did. I am concerned about a cheap remanned that will last 20,000 miles and break again. So now I need to find a trusted shop to rebuild what I have. I live near Columbus, Ohio and am confident there is a good shop in Columbus, but need to do some research to find it.
Thanks for your response...much appreciated
Tom
Old 01-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
As an update...just ordered a Jasper transfer case from my local shop. 3 year/100,000 mile warranty with shops nationwide. $1900 installed. Hope this works out okay. I appreciated everyone's input on this.
Tom
Old 01-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
As an update...just ordered a Jasper transfer case from my local shop. 3 year/100,000 mile warranty with shops nationwide. $1900 installed. Hope this works out okay. I appreciate everyone's input on this.
Tom
Good decision. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
older tow vehicle, transmission repair