Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Pine , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
16' or 19' Bambi appropriate TV?

My wife and I have narrowed our choice of Airstream (our first trailer ever) to a 16' or 19' Bambi. Potential TVs are 2006 Honda Ridgeline (V6) and 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (V6, 4 door, longer wheelbase model). My limited research suggests both can tow 16' with appropriate tow package. Can either handle the 19'? Thanks for any info. you can give. We want to be on the road this fall.
__________________

__________________
JustStarting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master
 
TBRich's Avatar

 
2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,483
Images: 64
Hey there...welcome to the Forums! And welcome to another AZ Streamer... We were just through Pine a couple of weeks ago with our 19'...pretty country!

I can't speak to the Wrangler, but the Ridgeline should be good...Ahab tows a 22' Sport with a Ridgeline and it does great....

We tow our 06 19' Bambi (4500 lbs filled) with an 07 Tacoma Double Cab v6 and it does fine, too...

Maybe we'll see you down the road or get you to a Four Corners Unit Rally sometime!

Happy trails!
__________________

__________________
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
TG Twinkie's Avatar
 
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,139
Images: 2
Blog Entries: 5
Honda for sure!

I would pick the Honda as long as the tow package is rated for the 19 foot trailer.
__________________
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
 
2006 16' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Fresno , California
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
Images: 3
This is how we roll!!! We have had our 16' Airstream for 2 months and we absolutely love it!!! I have added a brake control and a superchip giving extra horsepower and torque. I am looking into re-gearing just to have alittle more power. If you have any question let me know! Good Luck!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0184.jpg
Views:	1900
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	110758  
__________________
Bluejaydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Pine , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Thanks to all

Appreciate the quick responses and input. Looks like my Honda will be up to the job of a 19', with some additional work. I assumed I would have to add an electronic brake control and possibly transmission cooler. Our second vehicle is the Wrangler and would love to be able to tow with both.

BlueJayDave - Never heard of a "superchip" for the Wrangler - I'll look into it.
You've got a great looking package.

Concerned the 16' might be a bit tight for us and two good sized dogs, especially on longer trips, but would appreciate any thoughts on pros/cons of 16' and 19'. It appears 16' costs as much. Reasons?
__________________
JustStarting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member
 
2006 16' International CCD
Currently Looking...
Fresno , California
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 16
Images: 3
The "superchip" is built by flashpaq. It is worth the money as I have already seen an increase in gas mileage there is also a tow setting.

We have camped for the last 2 years in a Teardrop Trailer! (Picture included) for us the 16' is a huge step up.

We decided to upgrade because... we got tired of not having a potty on board. We have a 4 year old who was born with dwarfism so the average size tiolets in public bathrooms (which or not always clean) were something with her condition we didn't want to deal with. To tell the truth... I myself don't like using public tiolets.

We travel with 2 dogs... both under 5 pounds.

The 16' and 19' definetly are two different trailers. I guess at the end of the day it is what you are using it for.

We tend to take weekend trips. My wife is cutting back Fridays after the first of the year.. and I am self employed so we will be able to leave on Thursday nights and return on Sundays and maybe a couple of extended trips throughout the year.

We never feel cramped in the trailer... as it feels so much larger once you get settled in. There is more storage then you will need in the 16'.

A few things to take note. 16' vs 19' 16' has one holding tank. 19 has grey and balk so less holding space in the 16' if you are camping without hookups. 19' has a oven 16' does not, but we use an outside grill as an oven if we need to so no biggy. However the 16' has more kitchen counter space then the 19'. The tiolet/shower in the 16' is combined and the 19' is seperate. We would never use the shower in either unit so that was not a concern. (We do shower though... and most campgrounds have public showers)

As far as pricing, we bought used. Most people that own Airstreams really take good care of them and like ours that is a 2006 one would not know based on condition. With that being said we saved over $15000 if not more... letting someone else add mods and getting the bugs worked out.

I have rambled on enough... but I know when I was researching... for our trailer there were several people that went out of their way on this forum to answer questions... so now it is my turn to do the same. Either way you will love the fact that you have an Airstream!!!!

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09914.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	495.8 KB
ID:	110770  
__________________
Bluejaydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
Site Team
 
azflycaster's Avatar
 
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,124
Images: 62
Blog Entries: 1
JustStarting-
Welcome to the forums and as Terry stated, it great to have another streamer (future) from the Grand Canyon State. Next year we will be moving out of the valley and the Pine/Strawberry area is one of the areas we are currently looking to settle in.
__________________

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member
 
2007 20' Safari
Montrose , Colorado
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 63
If you like the 19', you might also give the 20' Safari SE a look. Basically the same size trailer and weight, but the floor plan is totally different, with a very large, well set up kitchen area. My wife and I love ours, as does our large dog. It would be another option to look at, especially if you are searching the used market for AS trailers. We have towed ours with a Toyota Tacoma and it did fine, except for being a litle slow in the mountains, so the Ridgeline would probably do OK too. That being said, we do most of our towing with a full size 1/2 ton pickup. Good luck in your search for an AS.
__________________
48Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Pine , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Thank you, David.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejaydave View Post
The "superchip" is built by flashpaq. It is worth the money as I have already seen an increase in gas mileage there is also a tow setting.

We have camped for the last 2 years in a Teardrop Trailer! (Picture included) for us the 16' is a huge step up.

We decided to upgrade because... we got tired of not having a potty on board. We have a 4 year old who was born with dwarfism so the average size tiolets in public bathrooms (which or not always clean) were something with her condition we didn't want to deal with. To tell the truth... I myself don't like using public tiolets.

We travel with 2 dogs... both under 5 pounds.

The 16' and 19' definetly are two different trailers. I guess at the end of the day it is what you are using it for.

We tend to take weekend trips. My wife is cutting back Fridays after the first of the year.. and I am self employed so we will be able to leave on Thursday nights and return on Sundays and maybe a couple of extended trips throughout the year.

We never feel cramped in the trailer... as it feels so much larger once you get settled in. There is more storage then you will need in the 16'.

A few things to take note. 16' vs 19' 16' has one holding tank. 19 has grey and balk so less holding space in the 16' if you are camping without hookups. 19' has a oven 16' does not, but we use an outside grill as an oven if we need to so no biggy. However the 16' has more kitchen counter space then the 19'. The tiolet/shower in the 16' is combined and the 19' is seperate. We would never use the shower in either unit so that was not a concern. (We do shower though... and most campgrounds have public showers)

As far as pricing, we bought used. Most people that own Airstreams really take good care of them and like ours that is a 2006 one would not know based on condition. With that being said we saved over $15000 if not more... letting someone else add mods and getting the bugs worked out.

I have rambled on enough... but I know when I was researching... for our trailer there were several people that went out of their way on this forum to answer questions... so now it is my turn to do the same. Either way you will love the fact that you have an Airstream!!!!

David
Thank you so much for your time and insight, David. This forum has been remarkable. Have good friends with a granddaughter with Dwarfism - a beautiful little girl. Your daughter must be very special.
__________________
JustStarting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Pine , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Hope to see you in Pine / Strawberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
JustStarting-
Welcome to the forums and as Terry stated, it great to have another streamer (future) from the Grand Canyon State. Next year we will be moving out of the valley and the Pine/Strawberry area is one of the areas we are currently looking to settle in.
My wife and I looked for a "country" home in several places, before deciding on Pine, approximately 4 years ago. Absolutely love it. Spending 1/2 time here year round and plan to try full time soon. Would be more than glad to show you around the area and give you our thoughts, introduce you to people who could assist in your search, etc. E-mail address is azbobmurphy@aol.com.
__________________
JustStarting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
Pine , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6
Will look at Safari but........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Bob View Post
If you like the 19', you might also give the 20' Safari SE a look. Basically the same size trailer and weight, but the floor plan is totally different, with a very large, well set up kitchen area. My wife and I love ours, as does our large dog. It would be another option to look at, especially if you are searching the used market for AS trailers. We have towed ours with a Toyota Tacoma and it did fine, except for being a litle slow in the mountains, so the Ridgeline would probably do OK too. That being said, we do most of our towing with a full size 1/2 ton pickup. Good luck in your search for an AS.
For some reason the Bambi holds some emotional draw - Maybe it's the name!!

Thank you for the suggestion.
__________________
JustStarting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
bolerama's Avatar
 
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 754
Images: 30
Blog Entries: 6
Hi JustStarting,
The 16' has the total cuteness factor of any trailer, but the 19' has the practicality. We had the same sleeping arrangement (head-to-toe runs side-to-side) as the 16' in a previous trailer, and it was really bothersome for the person against the wall/window. The sleeping arrangement in the 19' is much better. The bed/bath in the 19' is the same as in our 23'. We really prefer this. The bed is way easier to make, and having a sink outside the main bath area is convenient. Hope this helps!

Lisa
__________________
Lisa and Paul

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
mutcth's Avatar

 
2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,632
While we're laying all options on the table, there's also the 22' Sport. (They added a Bambi badge for 2011.) We have a very similar layout in our Argosy and quite like it. Big bathroom in the back, big bed in the front, dinette on the side. It weighs less than the 19' Bambi, partly because it's narrower. (Less width inside, but easier to tow.)

Good luck in the hunt!

Tom
__________________
mutcth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:53 PM   #14
TahoeStream'n
 
subfan1's Avatar
 
2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 831
Images: 3
Wet tow our 19ft with a Chevy Tahoe and it is a great tow vehicle for this size. People use smaller rigs out there but for me, I want the extra power and comfort of a full size SUV. We are getting 20 MPG on the highway and towing, it drops down to 13. Thats with the climate control set at a comfortable temperature inside.
Lots of choices out there, good luck.
__________________

__________________
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1966 airstream caravel 17' air stream 16' 17' 18' 19' eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 1 01-29-2010 12:07 AM
Need Advice - 16' or 19' Bambi JerryMcMunn Buyer Guidelines 31 07-01-2007 09:20 PM
Help on picking Bambi 16' or 19' Skip Mac Member Introductions 10 08-30-2006 10:19 PM
16' Ccd & 16' Bambi Ron Edwords Waste Systems, Tanks & Totes 2 03-27-2006 12:30 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.