Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post

The best shot at getting 15 mpg will be with a BMW, Mercedes or Jeep (its coming) diesel SUV that has been set up by CanAm (or somebody else with the capability) to tow the Airstream of your choice.

Dan
Does CanAm have a US "equivelent?"

Do they modify the suspensions of the TVs? (generally).
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Fairbanks , Alaska
Ok here is another useless tidbit quoted from Bosch Automotive handbook.

"On an average production vehicle, 10% reductions in weight,aerodynamic drag and in rolling resistance result in fuel-economy improvements of roughly, 6%, 3% and 2%, respectively."

So bottom line it is a long way to major fuel economy improvements on a existing vehicle, other than slowing down.

2012 1/2 Eddie Bauer, 2016 Ram Laramie 3500 SWB 4x4 6.7L Cummins 68RFE
crisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
I didn't read the entire topic, but another option would be to consider mods that increase the power of the engine. Even with those mods, if you still drive efficiently, you should get better mileage. Probably not 50% better than what you have now, of course. But a better intake or exhaust, depending on how restrictive your current setup is, could get you a couple extra MPGs. Much cheaper than a new vehicle, too.
The problem with a performance exhaust is many of them drone continuously when towing, which is a real headache so you need to be careful picking one without the drone.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
My $42K 07 Ford F250 Diesel 4X4 towed our 25 Airstream at 14.7 mpg.

It was traded for an $9K 2002 Chevy Suburban 4X4 with the 8.1 engine and their check. I get 11 towing. I figure it will take many years to eat up the check they gave us at 3.7 mpg.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I specified dual exhaust when I ordered our 2008 Tundra from the factory. Toyota selected pipes that are very slightly louder, but don't drone; and we are very happy with the option. However, in the real world, the factory duals do absolutely nothing to measurably increase horsepower, low-end torque, fuel economy or anything else; and about all they're good for is looking cool. So, for most people, my recommendation when shopping for a new TV is to save your money and skip this option.

The same goes for the "cold air intake", which we did not buy, that apparently triggers the "check engine light".

As far as options to improve torque, horsepower and/or economy, including aftermarket add-ons, our TV is "strictly stock". I would guess that if there was a way to do this without affecting long-term reliability, manufacturers would have already incorporated it in their designs.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
In the sixties, I was handling several racing equipment accounts and racers were using ramp trucksequipped with tool boxes and sleeper cabs. These trucks were equipped with 454, 440 and 460 engines. We took one truck and equipped the 454 with tube headers, an Offy intake and a torquer cam. Also did a cold air package and tweeked the carb. The results were astounding. Gas mileage almost doubled and there was plenty of power.

The point here is that it's possible to go backwards in order to make progress. There is plethora of aftermarket drive train equipment and you can buy a 300 HP crate motor with a 24 month warrantee for less than $4000.

I suspect that you could get an early seventies 3/4 ton tow vehicle and put $10,000 -$15,000 into and have a better chance of getting 15 MPG with cheap registration and insurance.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:24 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Obviously, I overlooked adding an Edelbrock high-rise intake manifold, supercharger, twin turbochargers, tuned exhaust headers, Cherry Bombs, etc. -- I stand corrected.

(As an aside, if all of this was added, it would require great restraint to achieve any increase in fuel economy. I, for one, would probably have to keep open accounts with Discount Tire and Flying J to keep my rig on the road; not to mention getting a second on our house to pay for all of this.)

============

Above comments made in jest. Please do not take offense. My previous post referenced minor modifications that do require a significant cash outlay.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
I suspect that you could get an early seventies 3/4 ton tow vehicle and put $10,000 -$15,000 into and have a better chance of getting 15 MPG with cheap registration and insurance.
Denis

No Thanks. After all that, you might get 15 mpg, but you might get only 10, 11 or 12. Your truck will be louder than the new ones, won't ride as well, won't stop as well because no ABS, won't handle as safely because, no vehicle stability control, inferior A/C, probably only a single cab, no 6 speed tranny and not as reliable. Now after all this, you may get 1k of your 10k investment back because nobody really wants it (including you).

All

I don't know of a USA equivalent to CanAm. If I were really serious about this now, I would talk to Andy, find the best TV and take it to him to have it modified to tow the Airstream of your choice.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #69
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Ah yes the diesel vs gas question once again. Just back from our trip from Texas to Alberta Ca 4552 miles.
While in Banff NP we camped next to a very nice full time couple from California. They had a very nice typical white box and a new chevy 6.0 gas tv. Trailer weighed out at 4800 loaded. He said his mileage was 6-8 when traveling in hill country Much better in flatlands.
Ours, over 6 grand loaded with a 350 Ford Diesel averaged 19 the entire trip.
Passed many a gas tv struggling up the hills in Wyoming and Montana on I 25 and I 90.
Have to say that we felt more comfortable/safe in our truck. Did we feel overly compensated, yes
Mileage varies...
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:

No Thanks. After all that, you might get 15 mpg, but you might get only 10, 11 or 12. Your truck will be louder than the new ones, won't ride as well, won't stop as well because no ABS, won't handle as safely because, no vehicle stability control, inferior A/C, probably only a single cab, no 6 speed tranny and not as reliable. Now after all this, you may get 1k of your 10k investment back because nobody really wants it (including you).

Dan
I got a good chuckle out of that. I love the way my Suburban drives, the quietness, the ride, the ESC, the DIC, the folding seats, the features, the whole package is completely awesome, and I couldn't imagine going back to an old truck. On the "cool scale" it's the best I have ever owned.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:10 AM   #71
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
All the new big pickup diesels are wonderful trucks but they are god awful expensive (at least 50K), twice what I paid for my 08 Tundra.
Dan
Thats because they are 3X the truck.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #72
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
^^ I was thinkin that but didnt say it lol
Old 09-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #73
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
Ah yes the diesel vs gas question once again. Just back from our trip from Texas to Alberta Ca 4552 miles.
While in Banff NP we camped next to a very nice full time couple from California. They had a very nice typical white box and a new chevy 6.0 gas tv. Trailer weighed out at 4800 loaded. He said his mileage was 6-8 when traveling in hill country Much better in flatlands.
Ours, over 6 grand loaded with a 350 Ford Diesel averaged 19 the entire trip.
Passed many a gas tv struggling up the hills in Wyoming and Montana on I 25 and I 90.
Have to say that we felt more comfortable/safe in our truck. Did we feel overly compensated, yes
Mileage varies...
What year is your truck? Must notta been the 6.0 or 7.3 lol
Old 09-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #74
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Just wanted to post some numbers.
From my last fillip of 42 gallons of regular unleaded, I traveled 662 miles on mixed terrain, sunny day, 60 MPH.
My odometer and gps were within a mile. Quick math says that's close to 15 mpg. My AS is a 34, moderately loaded full of water, no waste..

Happy with this.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Denis

Dan
1. Loudness is determined by muffler choice
2. Firestone air ride available as are numerous shock/spring combos
3. Aftermarket 4 wheel disk brake kits with ABS about a grand
4. Just installed vintage air in my 60 T-Bird that is as good as my wife's factory air in a Chrysler T&C
5. Six speed transmissions can be ordered with specific gear ratios
6. Aftermarket EFI on an efficient manifold will help get the 15 MPG.

Throw in some European buckets with a killer sound system and you have a tow truck that will be cheap to insure and register.

Think outside the box
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Just wanted to post some numbers.
From my last fillip of 42 gallons of regular unleaded, I traveled 662 miles on mixed terrain, sunny day, 60 MPH.
My odometer and gps were within a mile. Quick math says that's close to 15 mpg. My AS is a 34, moderately loaded full of water, no waste..

Happy with this.
What TV is that?
Old 09-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #77
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
2001 Excursion xlt 4wd. Stock everything but a K&N air filter.
I also use all synthetic oils.... nothing fancy.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:34 AM   #78
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino Man View Post
^^^ Thats what I was about to say lol. V10s are notoriously gas hogs. Iv honestly never heard of a v10 getting 15 empty...
My 2000 V10 gets 12 or so pulling a 26' at 60 MPH average. I have seen as much as 18MPG not towing on highway speeds with 3 or 4 people inside.
It runs on regular too.

I pulled a 31 Excella for awhile and got almost the same mileage but the start off the line was a little slower.

If Ford put the V10 gasser in an F250 it would be a great tow vehicle.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:36 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
I get about 12MPG with my V6 Traverse when towing, and average 18/23 when solo. Nothing remarkable compared to a diesel, but then I only paid $26K for it (8-month old w/20k miles). Anything that gets better mileage wasn't worth the price considering how little we tow. When buying a vehicle the only thing I look at is (1) does it meet my needs and (2) the total cost of ownership. For me that immediately eliminates anything new or anything that has a turbo or diesel in it.
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #80
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
1. Loudness is determined by muffler choice
2. Firestone air ride available as are numerous shock/spring combos
3. Aftermarket 4 wheel disk brake kits with ABS about a grand
4. Just installed vintage air in my 60 T-Bird that is as good as my wife's factory air in a Chrysler T&C
5. Six speed transmissions can be ordered with specific gear ratios
6. Aftermarket EFI on an efficient manifold will help get the 15 MPG.

Throw in some European buckets with a killer sound system and you have a tow truck that will be cheap to insure and register.

Think outside the box
You have the fun and satisfaction of building that truck yourself, simple as an airstream trailer and you can fix it yourself.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote