Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2011, 03:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I tow a 2000 25' Safari with a 2010 Silverado 1500 crew cab. I am really happy with my setup. I have towed several thousand miles this year from mountains to flat lands, near the Canadian border in Michigan to the Florida keys, through the mountains of NC, VA, and TN several times. No problems!

With this setup the one thing I do not like is I have to be really careful with the items I put into my truck bed. It is very easy to exceed the payload capacity and the rear axle capacity of the truck with the combined trailer tongue load, passengers, and other stuff in the truck bed.

You did not say what kind of transmission you have in your present TV. From my past experience with a Silverado 1500, a 4 speed auto will just barely get by if you are in the mountains, even with the tow package. I have really heated up a 4 speed in the mountains. The 6 speed makes all the difference!
Old 08-30-2011, 04:02 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
2010 F150 s/c 4x4 5.4 w/tow pak.Equilizer hitch 3.55 axel pulls my 28ft International CCD just fine loaded with gear.
Could not do it without the eq hitch though.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw View Post
GVWR of the truck is 6,800 lbs and curb weight is 5,148 lbs. I expect passengers/cargo in the truck to be 500 lbs tops and have to stay under 1,000 lbs hitch load. Should keep me 100-200 lbs under the GVWR of the tow vehicle. Payload on the truck is 1,652.
Don't forget fluids, especially GAS....
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:35 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Could not do it without the eq hitch though.
My hat goes off to the guy who came up with the WDH idea.

Does anyone know who it was??
Old 08-30-2011, 07:19 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I think you just have to try it yourself and see if it works for you. I think your truck has a trans temp gage so you can keep track of it and the tow mode helps going up and down mountains. Plus you have the 3.73 rear end. Mine was 3.42. Some folks aren't happy going a little slow up some of the higher passes .
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:30 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post

M.H. Mathisen started Eaz-Lift Spring Corporation in 1952 in a two car garage in North Hollywood, California.

Mr. Mathisen retired from Universal Studios in 1946 and began trailering around America. The hitch he was using at the time was bothersome and hampered his enjoyment of the experience. An inventor and an experienced blacksmith, he solved his hitch troubles by inventing the Eaz-Lift Weight Distribution Hitch and patents were issued in May, 1952.
In 1953, Mathisen’s son, Ray, joined him in the small garage where their first run of 56 hitches was completed. They sold out immediately. Their next run of 350 units required a move to a larger facility on Chandler Boulevard where Eaz Lift remained until 1956. The demand for Eaz-Lift hitches continued to outpace the inventory, so late in 1955, 5500 square feet of heavy manufacturing space was purchased with enough land available to expand to 55,000 square feet in Sun Valley, California.

With the proliferation of RVing in the US, the need for a well-built, strongly engineered trailer hitch became the driving force for Eaz-Lift. Production increased and the company continued to grow rapidly. The introduction in 1960 of self-contained trailers, dual axles and larger units sparked the invention of the Eaz-Lift Sway Control to reduce fishtailing and trailer sway. After one and a half years of development, the Eaz-Lift Sway Control was introduced and became the company’s second success story.

By 1966, the Sun Valley, California plant had run out of space, so a second facility was opened in Elkhart, Indiana. The London, Ontario operation became part of the Eaz-Lift family in 1969 where the manufacture of the original Eaz-Lift weight distributing hitch continues to this day. Continual process and engineering improvements are a hallmark of the company, and Eaz-Lift hitches and sway controls enjoy a huge following among those who appreciate unfailing quality and ease of use.

Today Eaz-Lift has become one of the largest weight distributing hitch manufacturers in the world. In early 2007, Camco Manufacturing purchased Eaz-Lift’s operations and consolidated manufacturing to the London, Ontario plant. Founded in 1968, Camco ships Eaz-Lift hitches from London, Ontario, Greensboro, North Carolina, Portland, Oregon and Elkhart, Indiana.

If you asked Eaz-Lift founder M.H. Mathisen what the key to his success was, he'd say, ‘My wife, my son, and my products…all of which I have personally grown with, nurtured and loved.' That same dedication to quality and pursuit of engineering excellence continues today with both Eaz-Lift and Camco, just as it has for decades.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
A great read Steve. Thnxs for the learning experience.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Thanks, but I plagerized it. :-)

Uh, think that is misspelled....I copied and pasted.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #29
Aluminum Rookie

1974 25' Tradewind
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I just bought a 2008 Toyota Tundra TRD off road double cab. I was pulling my 74 25'Tradewind with my 2004 tundra double cab 2wd and my 2006 4Runner Limited. The 04 Tundra was awesome.No troubles. My 06 Runner did not have issues except being under powered in the Canadian Rockies. But this new Tundra...Holy crap! The tow/haul mode on the transmission is fantastic!!With the trailer and truck loaded with 3 dogs, bikes and all our gear,and of course the weight distribution hitch on, it still drives like there is nothing behind the truck! I tried both V8 options and the 5.7 is the way to go.Lots of power to spare! I have finally found towing nirvana!!
chefmardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:25 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
The toy big V8 has unbelievable towing grunt courtesy of the 403 ft-lb of torque, the 4.3 rear axle and the 6 speed tranny. I don't think there is a gasser out there (non turbo) that will tow any better. It is indeed towing nirvana especially if you have the floor shift for easy downshifting.

I just returned from a trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway, and I got 14.0 mpg- I tow very gently.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:41 AM   #31
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT View Post
I have an 09 F150 4x4 SuperCrew with the 157" wheelbase, 3.73 axle and max trailer towing package (11,100 lbs). The truck came with 20" P rated tires, and the door sticker states the maximum weight of occupants and cargo must not exceed 878 lbs. My axle ratings, also on the door sticker, are GAWRf 4050lbs and GAWRr 4000 lbs. The GVWR is somewhat less at 7200 lbs.

I threw out the stock tires and have since installed a set of 10 ply Michelins. I don't know how much of the truck's weight restriction was influenced by the stock tires. After five trips through the scales and several different hitch setups I concluded that there is no way to load distribute enough tongue weight to get the rear axle load under the stated GAWR. I tow a 2011 International 27FB. The tongue weight is 700 lbs I think.

The best I have achieved was with the following conditions. Trailer tanks empty, truck full of gas, two adults, two children, one dog, two bicycles in the back along with a couple of lawn chairs and a barbecue, propane tank and 5 ga fresh water jerry can. The hitch is a Reese dual cam with the heavier bars (1200# I think) and enough stress after hitch up to bend the bars slightly.

Measured Axle load at scale (versus listed GWR)
Front axle: 3902 (4050)
Rear axle: 4277 (4000)

Total truck: 8179 (7200)

Trailer axles: 5842 (7600)

Check out the sticker on your door. I have no problem pulling my 27FB; my issue is payload.
A slight bend in your Reese bars, won't give you the sway control that is best.

Because of the tow vehicle stiffness, drop the bar rating down to 750.

Then, the bars will bend about 2 inches, giving you sway control that is top notch.

The heavier duty the tow vehicle, the lighter the bars should be. That's been proven by many owners in a different thread.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #32
Islander

2005 28' International CCD
Deer Harbor , ORCAS ISLAND WA
all of this is well and good, but

My 25Fb 2008 Safari weighs 7300 GVWR and I pull it with a 2004 GMC Sierra Denali AWD, four wheel steer 6.0 gas rig. and it pulls and runs like a dream...A equalizer 10,000 hitch...which after 60,000 pulling the trailer, i am considering another hitch of some sort....The truck is equal to a 2500HD in towing capacity

But the main drain.....is going up hill...even with the 6.0 I sure wish for more power going up hills withoout having to kick it into afterburner and run for several miles up a 6% grade at 4000 or so rpm....i have a tranny cooler but it does heat up pullin that train up a semi serious incline....

we are fulltimers and i have not ever really experienced serious climbs as in colorado but even on the semi serious inclines.....i wish for more power.....
WBCCI 2541

4CU
kingfisher24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler

If you want to see what the alternative was in 1954, watch "The Long Long Trailer" starring Lucille Ball. When he took the car to the hitch shop, they sold him what looked like a wheeled dolly. It wasn't really explained in the movie but it was barely visible in a few of the side on scenes in the mountains, and was obviously bearing the tongue weight. The convertible only had to pull. Interestingly, the electric brakes haven't chanced much in nearly 60 years but the controller sure has! The pull out steps and door locks look a lot like what's in use today.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...lly-44260.html
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher24 View Post
But the main drain.....is going up hill...
Poor baby. In ours, on a 6% grade, I can walk faster than the coach. However, let's not forget the 15mpg we get. As Vinnie would say, "I'm just a mo/ho guy."
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:38 PM   #36
Aluminum Rookie

1974 25' Tradewind
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
The toy big V8 has unbelievable towing grunt courtesy of the 403 ft-lb of torque, the 4.3 rear axle and the 6 speed tranny. I don't think there is a gasser out there (non turbo) that will tow any better. It is indeed towing nirvana especially if you have the floor shift for easy downshifting.

I just returned from a trip down the Blue Ridge Parkway, and I got 14.0 mpg- I tow very gently.

Dan
I totally agree! Even some of my friends that are import doubters are considering Tundras since I bought this one (my second Tundra). One of my friends that has only owned Chevy trucks and refused to buy anything else just called me as giddy as a kid to let me know he bought a Tundra today!
chefmardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
I own a 1970 27' AS , I tow it with a 2004 1500 Suburban with tow package and sway/load lift hitch. I have towed it over 6000 miles this way, last trip was to so cal and back to Wash state 3400 miles, not one problem, no overheating of motor or trans. It works perfectly, love it......
howco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
I have an 05 1500 Silverado 5.3L and 3:73 rear. I pull a 25' A/S with no problem. I live in Florida and if I pull through the mountains, I don't use overdrive and run in regular drive. I get around 10 MPG pulling the trailer, sometimes better but never over 12 MPG. I find running at 70 MPH is better for me than 60 and I get better mileage because I can use overdrive. I would have no qualms about pulling a 25 or 27 with my Silverado. Mine has 72k miles and I service it myself which means only that I change the fluids, check torques and clean the air cleaner. You should have no problem. My hitch is a Draw Tite equalizing hitch with an anti sway bar. Hope this helps. JT
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #39
DMT
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
East Coast , Newfoundland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

A slight bend in your Reese bars, won't give you the sway control that is best.

Because of the tow vehicle stiffness, drop the bar rating down to 750.

Then, the bars will bend about 2 inches, giving you sway control that is top notch.

The heavier duty the tow vehicle, the lighter the bars should be. That's been proven by many owners in a different thread.

Andy
Thanks Andy. I have ordered Reese 800 lbs trunnion bars to replace the 1200 lbs ones.

Elsewhere on the forum I have read about the use of an AirSafe hitch to reduce shock loading to the trailer. Is this only necessary for heavier TV's with stiff suspensions, or would it be recommended in my case?
Old 09-08-2011, 06:44 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMT
...Elsewhere on the forum I have read about the use of an AirSafe hitch to reduce shock loading to the trailer. Is this only necessary for heavier TV's with stiff suspensions, or would it be recommended in my case?
The Air Safe essentially uncouples the ball mount vertical motion by putting it on an airbag. I believe it was originally developed to provide a softer ride for livestock in trailers. It found a niche in the towable RV market when they expanded from goosenecks to fifth wheels and then travel trailers. While not a 100% solution for those rhythmic jounces that plague some of us on certain concrete roads, it noticeably reduces the harshness. I also don't feel small bumps I felt in the X as the trailer tires pass over them. Missing the 2nd bump-bump gave me cause early on to look in the mirror to be sure she was still back there!

The Air Safe is not inexpensive, but I hope it will prove to be worthwhile in the long term when it comes to popped rivets and missing screws and what usually lurks behind that. Taking Andy's recommendations to heart, I've also "upgraded" my Reese Dual Cam bars from 1200# to 800#, made the appropriate adjustments and have been very please with the results. The cushions in the 27FB don't stray nearly as far as they used to.

Air Safe sells several models based on tongue weight... When using a WD hitch you want to go up in size as the floating ball mount hardware needs to be stouter because of the torsional demands imposed by the WD hardware.

Tags
1/2 ton