Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-26-2007, 04:29 PM   #43
Rivet Master
 
3Ms75Argosy's Avatar
 
1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,341
Images: 7
well... you could match your car...

how about one of these... not too much more
http://www.mbusa.com/models/features...DI&class=08_ML

Tow rating 7200 pounds... only 10,000 more than that El... and a bit more style? Good gas mileage with the diesel....

I want a ride when you get one!

Marc
__________________

__________________
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 04:36 PM   #44
Rivet Master
 
JimGolden's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,619
Images: 7
Uwe,

Can you not get the 6.0L in the half ton Suburban? The 6.0 is a good engine and would have a fair amount more torque than the 5.3

I really like the body style on the new Suburban's too.

I don't know if Ford has changed the spark plug threads or not. It's worth looking into before you buy one. They very well may have. The Excursion was a very nice vehicle. Had FoMoCo not messed me around (it's a long story), I may have kept it. But I know a bunch of guys with Cummins powered Dodge's and they never seem to have much problems. I've had mine three years now and absolutely no problems of any kind, whatsoever. 100,000 mile warranty doesn't hurt either.

I've owned several Chevys, Fords, and Mopars. I find GM to be the easiest to work on and the cheapest to buy parts for. Mopars are second. Fords are generally the hardest to work on. I really did like the Excursion though. And I still have a Crown Victoria that my wife drives. We plan to replace it with a Dodge Charger SRT in a couple years though. HEMI!
__________________

__________________
- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #45
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
how about one of these... not too much more
Mercedes-Benz USA | Browser Upgrade Required

Tow rating 7200 pounds... only 10,000 more than that El... and a bit more style? Good gas mileage with the diesel....

I want a ride when you get one!

Marc
Marc,

Those are incredible little trucks. But too small for the other half of my needs: Hauling gear for my business.
Besides, MB does not deal like Ford or Chevy. They know what they got and usually get their price.
My only options at this point are either the Suburban which I can get into an LS model that has reasonable equipment for under 30k. This would be an 07 model.
Or the Expedition LS, which is around 30k if one whines long enough, but has much better attributes, and a 6-speed automatic, plus an engine with better torque at lower rpm.
The Chevy handles quicker, and has better brakes, while the Ford is peppier and more comfortable, better equipped for the same price.
I am still hoping that they decide to repair my old Chelapi. The old Suburban is like a well worn jacket - it just did everything I needed, with the exception of stopping, perhaps.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #46
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
Uwe,

Can you not get the 6.0L in the half ton Suburban? The 6.0 is a good engine and would have a fair amount more torque than the 5.3

I really like the body style on the new Suburban's too.

I don't know if Ford has changed the spark plug threads or not. It's worth looking into before you buy one. They very well may have. The Excursion was a very nice vehicle. Had FoMoCo not messed me around (it's a long story), I may have kept it. But I know a bunch of guys with Cummins powered Dodge's and they never seem to have much problems. I've had mine three years now and absolutely no problems of any kind, whatsoever. 100,000 mile warranty doesn't hurt either.

I've owned several Chevys, Fords, and Mopars. I find GM to be the easiest to work on and the cheapest to buy parts for. Mopars are second. Fords are generally the hardest to work on. I really did like the Excursion though. And I still have a Crown Victoria that my wife drives. We plan to replace it with a Dodge Charger SRT in a couple years though. HEMI!
Hemis are nice!

Apparently they did fix the spark plug issue after 2003. At least that's what the internet reports on everal dubious websites.
The 6.0 is only available in the 2500 Suburban. That one doesn't have the coils in the rear, rides toatlly different. Besides, some friends report up to 24mpg hwy with the new 5.3. Maybe they're bragging, I don't know. But so far the Ford is nicer, seems to offer more than the Chevy. The Chevy is more responsive, slower, cheaper for 07, and has a killer warranty.
Drove again today, both of them, and it's really tought to make a choice. Both are more than capable to tow my 63 Overlander, both are decent vehicles, I almost don't care which one I end up with. Maybe I should send my wife out to get one...
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:47 PM   #47
_
 
. , .
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
...I am still hoping that they decide to repair my old Chelapi. The old Suburban is like a well worn jacket - it just did everything I needed, with the exception of stopping, perhaps.
yea having what we have is, sometimes really what we want...

IF they do repair the current burb, you could always upgrade the brakes, wheels and tires...

there are some awesome aftermarket options with much better stopping power...

even if they don't repair it you could improve the stopping on any replacement vehicle....

i know, i know a dub t-rex with diesel is too expensive and not enough interior space...

but it's got a good engine and fat discs all 'round.

plenty of vehicle for your trailer too...

cheers
2air'
__________________
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:34 PM   #48
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Overlander & Sea's Avatar

 
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Gulfport , Mississippi
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 800
Images: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Hemis are nice!

Apparently they did fix the spark plug issue after 2003. At least that's what the internet reports on everal dubious websites.
The 6.0 is only available in the 2500 Suburban. That one doesn't have the coils in the rear, rides toatlly different. Besides, some friends report up to 24mpg hwy with the new 5.3. Maybe they're bragging, I don't know. But so far the Ford is nicer, seems to offer more than the Chevy. The Chevy is more responsive, slower, cheaper for 07, and has a killer warranty.
Drove again today, both of them, and it's really tought to make a choice. Both are more than capable to tow my 63 Overlander, both are decent vehicles, I almost don't care which one I end up with. Maybe I should send my wife out to get one...
uwe,

The Suburban is better. Why?, because I'm a Chevrolet dealer and I have '61 Overlander. Any Ford dealers here? I rest my case.
__________________
Rick--Airstream of Mississippi www.foleyrvcenter.com
WBCCI #9275 TAC #MS-5 AIR #11800
Overlander & Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #49
Rivet Master
 
warbler5's Avatar
 
2004 30' Classic
Roseville , California
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 679
Send a message via AIM to warbler5
Uwe....before you buy, go check out the GMC version of the Suburban. We felt like the interior was much nicer and more comfortable than the Sub....and, our previous vehicle was a 1994 Sub.

I hope you were not injured in the accident!
__________________
2004 30' Airstream Classic
2011 GMC 3500HD Duramax
Hensley Arrow hitch


Jackson Rancheria, 10-12 Oct 2014
Pinnacles Nat'l Park, 20-22 Feb 2015
Casini Ranch, 10-12 Apr 2015


AIR #6287
TAC #CA-26
WBCCI #3933/4CU
__________________
warbler5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:19 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member
 
ljmiii's Avatar
 
2006 16' International CCD
New York , New York
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I hope that the insurance just fixes my Suburban. (doubtful) This truck shopping thing makes my head spin. My heart is not really into a truck or SUV in the first place, so doing this is like shopping for a wheelbarrow, only with 48 months of big payments.
If you liked your Suburban and want to minimize your payments why don't you go with a slightly used Suburban (~2005). You avoid the big depreciation hit and still have a relatively new vehicle.

Also, if you go with a 2005 you can get the 8.1L tow machine.
__________________
ljmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member
 
bobkelly's Avatar
 
2003 22' International CCD
Whittier, California , Depoe Bay, Oregon
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 358
Uwe---Glad to see you have answered your own question. Either vehicle would do the job. So would a well maintained 1997 Surb which you would buy with the insurance settlement.

Pick either one based on your personal likes and have fun.
__________________
Bob

2003 22ft CCD Int'l
2005 GMC Yukon Denali
WBCCI #2960
bobkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:24 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member
 
Amsterdamer's Avatar
 
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
My only options at this point are either the Suburban which I can get into an LS model that has reasonable equipment for under 30k. This would be an 07 model.
Or the Expedition LS
Based on your price range, this suggestion wonít be very helpful, but the 2007 GMC Yukon Denali XL and the Cadillac Escalade ESV both have very nice 6.2 liter engines and 6 speed transmissions with a manual shift mode. The towing capacity is strangely not stellar at 7700 lbs, but 380 (or 403) horse power and 417 lbs. torque sound nice to me!
__________________
Amsterdamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:03 PM   #53
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsterdamer
Based on your price range, this suggestion wonít be very helpful, but the 2007 GMC Yukon Denali XL and the Cadillac Escalade ESV both have very nice 6.2 liter engines and 6 speed transmissions with a manual shift mode. The towing capacity is strangely not stellar at 7700 lbs, but 380 (or 403) horse power and 417 lbs. torque sound nice to me!
Sounds nice to me, too. But both vehicles are outside of what I am willing to spend.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:06 PM   #54
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmiii
If you liked your Suburban and want to minimize your payments why don't you go with a slightly used Suburban (~2005). You avoid the big depreciation hit and still have a relatively new vehicle.

Also, if you go with a 2005 you can get the 8.1L tow machine.
The 8.1l is out, too thirsty, and overkill for a 5000lb trailer, in my opinion.

I actually looked at 05 models today, and the nicer, low mileage ones are just about as much as a brand new base model 07 Suburban. For that I would probably take advantage of the new car warranty, and the improvements that come with a new model.
__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #55
Rivet Master
 
drag'nwagon's Avatar
 
1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
What kind of mileage are you getting? I'd be interested in both towing mileage and solo.
I have gotten as good as 16mpg towing (flatland) through Ohio at 60-65mph and as bad as 12 if we have to run some hills or high wind. The van typically gets around 19 - 21 solo.
__________________
Dave
TAC# MI-1
Operation "Save Rudy" Strike Team (charter member)

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #56
uwe
418
 
uwe's Avatar
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 1963 26' Overlander
Posts: 4,767
Images: 41
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by drag'nwagon
I have gotten as good as 16mpg towing (flatland) through Ohio at 60-65mph and as bad as 12 if we have to run some hills or high wind. The van typically gets around 19 - 21 solo.
Sounds like a good alterative.
__________________

__________________
Uwe
www.area63productions.com
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1500


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suburban Furnace recall !!! NewStreamer Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 34 11-26-2015 04:29 PM
Suburban 1500 FiveGreers Tow Vehicles 20 01-23-2006 01:01 AM
Chevy Express vs Suburban alan Tow Vehicles 8 07-27-2003 04:38 PM
New Suburban Quadrasteering Option MikeF Tow Vehicles 0 12-23-2002 06:00 PM
Need Suburban Furnace Cover For 79/31' Soverign montanaandy Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning 0 07-29-2002 11:54 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.