Old 03-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG
2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
'08 F250/350 vs 2500/3500 diesel 4x4(?) crew cab

Hi again! I so appreciate the feedback and advise so far in my search for our TV, and hope (someday!) I can actually be a help and not just a seeker of help

Hope you all don't mind, but I have more questions and am looking for some voices of experience again!

Watched Ford's sales DVD today - rather impressive, claims the Ford HD vehicles are way better built than their Chevy and other competition. Maybe so, haven't looked into the facts behind it yet, and am not totally sure it actually matters anyway (built better or overbuilt? Hmmm...

So, went and test drove an F250, liked it a lot, though found the noise in the crew cab to be a lot for me (sounded like wind). Sensitive to smells, no discernable odor when outside the running vehicle, so that seems much improved. Also sensitive to noise, so this could be a problem. Liked the power fold mirrors, the step to get into the bed.

Also like the looks of Chevy's 2500, will drive it in a couple of days.

Question: the '08 F250HD diesel seems to get very low MPG, around 11mpg or so, NOT towing. Sales guy insisted it would double when broken in. Not much faith in sales guys (or gals)!

Opinions? Towing a Safari '08 25FB, so 3/4 ton will be lots of great power and room to go longer on the AS if ever desired. We drive our cars until they die, so are willing to go new. DH concerned about me being on the road with a used, potentially problematic non-warranteed truck, though I like the $$$ savings aspect. Not that I will turn down a new truck, but wouldn't mind keeping the costs down or doing without an extra payent for a few more years!

Will keep my minivan for another year or two, probably, but eventually the TV will become my daily driver (no regular commute at this point, but still manage to rack up miles!).

Oh! Forgot to ask - is 4x4 needed or not? When and why do you use it?

Greatly appreciate any thoughts and experience you care to share!
Cat and crew

Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
. , .
hi cats...

there are several threads on 2x4 vs 4x4...

really depends on where u live, travel and camp.

i NEED the 4x4 about 3-4 times per year for some loose gravel campsites...

and the occasional SNOW...

the 2x4 will ride better and get slightly better mpg, but not many are available...

so one usually needs to ORDER a 2x4 truck.

i'm not sure how u can determine mpg on a test drive, the dash computer is not gonna give u much accuracy.

expect 10-13 towing and 13-15 not (city) or 15-19 not (highway)

go fast and the mpg will be at the low end.

yes the mpg improves as the engine breaks in (15-40,000 miles) but it won't double.

be very skeptical (don't believe) of high mpg stories with ANY of these big trucks...

and here's a thread on the truck in question...

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
After talking to a friend with an '08 Ford 350, I believe the Chevy will get better fuel mileage. My friend traded an '05 King Ranch version for the '08 King Ranch version and the best mileage he is getting now is 8 mpg. The mileage was better with the '05. I understand this is the norm for the new engine.
JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:17 PM   #4
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG
2008 25' Safari
thanks 2air'!

Thank you, 2air', I missed that one in my searches. Do you still feel the same about it?

Other than being a little freaked by the size of the thing, and the fact that the sales guy dented the rear bumper by backing into a rock (!) - I heard beeping but didn't know what it meant - I liked it a LOT! He better not blame me, I was NOT driving! Anyway, What a pretty truck! DH keeps telling me I cannot call it pretty, but I cannot help it! Well, getting used to the size will be an issue for me (did I mention new to towing along with a depth perception problem?!), and getting used to the noise. I get that they are much quieter, and haven't compared/driven anything else yet, but it is still noisy to me. Like the larger tank size on the 8' bed, as well as room for toys I don't even own yet (dreamin' of my Harley, but promised to wait until the kiddo is out of the house!).

Have you, by any chance, seen the sales DVD that Ford put out? They show comparisons of all sorts of parts of the Ford HD compared to Chevy and (I think) Dodge, and the Ford is just way more impressive (at least in the video).

I know you like and drive a Ford, but also see that you are objective, so just wondering what your take is on the sales DVD?

Since I anticipate winter camping in VT - SNOW! - maybe the 4x4 would be a good thing for me then?

Continuing the search, which continues to be clear as mud and a constant vacillation between assorted variables, but that is part of the fun! Right?!

Thanks again,
Old 03-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG
2008 25' Safari
Thanks JackMac :-)

This is exactly my concern.

Gotta say, I am very drawn to this new Ford, but what I have been reading about their latest diesel seems to indicate that the mpg is poor. Hard to justify the added cost of the diesel engine AND the higher costs of diesel right now, when looking at the low mpg.

Hoping to be convinced otherwise!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 07:59 PM   #6
on the hunt
Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
Cool Used truck

you said you did not want a used truck due to lack of warranty.
I would suggest looking for a certified used truck most dealerships will certify a used truck if your really wanting to buy.
that will usally set the powertrain up to 100k unless it's a 06 or newer GM product which is 100k already. but the certify warr or an aftermarket warr will cover most of the other stuff up to 60-80k. then with the money you save buying a used truck i would give BANKS performance a call and have them set you up with one of there performance packages this will then incress your performance and fuel mileage.
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #7
. , .
hi r'cat

the dvd is fun IF u r a ford fan, but all the brands twist data to their advantage.

i like the ford but it is my first domestic in 30 years, and i looked at the others closely when the purchase was made...

it just seemed (and still does) that the superduty is focused on towing.

the best mirrors, the best receiver, 7pin connector works and the integrated brake controller is great...

it took 3 years before the general included a brake controller and i've yet to see anyone post about actually USING it.

now the ford mirrors are power folding/extension and gas/brake pedal can be adjusted for drivers long or short.

the ge'em interior is 'prettier' the ford more 'techno' looking and LARGER inside.

i also like the way the ford rear seats fold/stow better, while the ge'em front seats are more comfortable...

IF you want less noise try the v10 ford f-250, it's a gasser with a LOAD of power...

did you turn the a/c on? the fans blow louder than the drivetrain on this new generation of diesels...

again there are 05-07 superduties that will still have warranty AND the diesel engine coverage is 100,000 miles

also a 200,000 mile extend, ford authorized warranty is available on these used trucks...

as for size, sure they are big but drive 'em for a week and your brain adjusts...

and other folks give a wider birth when the big trucks roll!

a few other threads on recent years, fuel economy and truck sections...
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
This thread is close to my heart as I purchased the new 08 F-350 with the 6.4L diesel engine. Around town, on the usual errands and food runs I am getting 12mpg. I went to Vermont from New Jersey a week back and I set the cruise at 65 and kept to the right lane most of the way and I was surprised that I got 17.3 mpg going there. I wasn't towing , and on the return trip I got 16.5mpg. This is with only 3,000 miles on the odometer.

I was told that once the break in was finished it would go up a bit more. Fuel has hit 4 bucks a gallon where I am so filling up is an eye opening experience. I am lucky as I'm retired so a tank of fuel lasts me two weeks or more as i do not have any commute.

Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
I've had my '08 King Ranch (quad cab, reg bed, 4x4) F250 for about 10,000 miles so far. It seems the mileage is not as good as my '04 Excursion with the 6.0L diesel. I do expect mileage to improve over time, though. If I recall correctly, with the F250 I've been getting about 14 mpg on the highway, probably closer to 11 mpg towing - something like that. Around town - who knows.

Mileage aside, this is a great vehicle to drive. Very much a comfortable vehicle to cruise with - great on the highway, and of course it is a terrific towing machine. The retractable mirrors are great - particularly when parking in tight spots. And the step and handle on the tailgate, items I thought I'd never use in a million years, I use contantly.

The other thing they did which I do not recall on my Excursion, is they installed a valve under the front rail to drain water from the diesel fuel filter. Very handy, reachable, no mechanical genius needed.

I also installed a 50 gallon supplemental fuel tank in the bed, which at $4.00 a gallon today almost requiires a mortgage. But it is really handy to reduce the number of times you need to re-fuel.

All in all - F250 - good!
The Slowsky's
2008 Airstream 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Originally Posted by JackMac
After talking to a friend with an '08 Ford 350, I believe the Chevy will get better fuel mileage. My friend traded an '05 King Ranch version for the '08 King Ranch version and the best mileage he is getting now is 8 mpg. The mileage was better with the '05. I understand this is the norm for the new engine.
Any one who can afford an King ranch should not need to worry about the cost of fuel for the truck.

Your fuel milage will depend greatly on how you drive the vehicle. If you like to show off your new found power your milage will be low.
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:21 AM   #11
1 Rivet Short
1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Welcome, you will soon find out that traveling with your AS (and a big honkin truck) is traveling in style. Looking at ¾ ton’s to tow 25’ or larger is certainly your best bet.
We have been very please with our DuraMax/Allison combo, both for its towing prowess and economy.
GM also has integrated brake control, new 2 + 2 ½ “receiver, tow mirrors, and of course all the other goodies. All the diesels offered now are very clean/quiet. The new Ford Super Duties are also very sharp. You should drive them all before you pull the trigger and see what you like.

Check out the threads mentioned above and elsewhere (tons of info/opinions when it comes to TV’s).
Here is couple more interesting posts/links;

We are right up the road from you if you need any assistance or would like to see our setup.

Good luck, Bill
*Life is Good-Camping all around the Continent*
*Good people drink good beer-Hunter S Thompson*
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 06:39 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' International CCD
Martin , Georgia
We have a 2007 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab Duramax and a 2007 25'FB Int. We get 18 mpg hwy not towing and 14 mpg hwy towing. Great power and handling.
We towed around 3000 miles last year.
Dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:39 AM   #13
Rivet Master
2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
We have a 2004 F-150 Supercab 4x4 with the 5.4 Triton V8. It's rated to tow 9300 pounds so it can handle most of the AS models. We'll be towing a 28 ft Safari and expect it won't be a problem. We're getting close to 20 mpg on the highway.

There are several threads here covering towing with the F-150 and none of the people towing with the F-150 report any problems associated with a lack of power. Personally, with the price of fuel, I'd rather have a truck that will adequately pull the trailer rather than have a lot of unnecessary towing capacity that will cost me in fuel efficiency. With diesel it's also not an even comparison of miles per galoon since diesel can cost as much as $.70 more per gallon than regular gas in our area. When you do the math, it's pretty scarey.

As for Ford in general - the F Series trucks - IMHO - are the best on the road. Our truck has given us no problems whatsoever. We take it in for regular service and the service we get from our dealer is fantastic. We plan to keep it until it runs into the ground.

As for 4x4... it cuts into the towing capacity about 200 pounds but I think it's worth it. We live in New Mexico and we have a lot of off road opportunities. It's also nice to have the extra traction when you need it.
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
We bought a 08 Superduty Lariat Crew Cab, short bed last year and are totally in love with this truck. My wife actually picked it out and preferred the interior to the GMC. Mileage while towing is about 13.5 with 13k on the odo. Mileage is a factor of speed, 60 mph = 20 mpg, 72 = 17. Around town with no load is bad at about 8. Remember, this thing weighs 4 tons before loading it up. We also bought a retractable bed cover and would not do without that. Makes for a big trunk to put the generator and all sorts of stuff you don't want seen or stolen.

altamont is offline   Reply With Quote