Old 01-20-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
'08-'09 Duramax Mud Flap Advice Sought

Help / advice needed. On '08-'09 Duramax -powered pickups ONLY, the exhaust pipe ends at the REAR of the truck, not the SIDE. I have been planning to build a stinger - mounted set of mudflaps / stone guards to protect the 'Stream from tire - tossed gravel. Something like the NK System products: Enkay MudFlaps | System

Here's the issue: that big diesel exhaust pipe will be aimed right at such a flap / guard and the pipe will end only a few inches from it. I'm told that when the machine does a particulate filter burn-off (unique to the last two years' models), the exhaust can get VERY HOT .... i.e. toasted mudflap / possible fire hazard. There's a video on YouTube somewhere of a PSD running amok during such a burn-off and putting out a 4 foot flame! I talked to the nice folks at NK - and they don't have a solution to this issue.

Local muffler shops (2 big non-"chain" ones that work on buses and MoHos) say they can't bend the pipe to redirect it to the side ... it's got a too-large diameter for standard pipe benders. One guy sugested cutting the pipe and TIG welding it back together at an angle, but this strikes me as likely to cause exhaust noise, more flow restriction, and an early pipe failure.

Who has a bright idea?

Old 01-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
If you are adverse to redirecting the exhaust, you are probably left with extending the pipe and cutting a hole in the flap.

Personally, I don't think I'd want an exhaust pipe emitting such heat directly at my Airstream, but that's just my opinion.

Old 01-20-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
duraflap

Why not get Duraflap. They work well.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Duraflap? Maybe ...

Duraflap .... hmmm I may have to check those out. I liked the idea of having the flaps come off the truck / trailer with the stinger, so that they were out of the way when not towing, and the Duraflap models obviously wont' do that. On the other hand, they look durable, and might be an alternative solution. Wonder how they hold up going thorugh car washes??
Old 01-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
The trouble with the Duraflap, or any other flap that mounts on the fender behind the tire, is they won't stop rocks that are thrown up from the tires from hitting the trailer.

Basically, take a straight edge from where the tire leaves the ground and project it to the bottom of the flap and then back, and above that line is what is protected from flying rocks. With the fender mounted flaps the only thing that is protected, is basically the bottom of the fender.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Port Orchard , Washington
"AIRSDREAM",
The only people that will be able to help you relocate the end of the exhaust pipe is someone like "Banks" with their exhaust systems or a diesel shop that is used to working with the larger sizes of pipe. And remember that any bends put into the pipe MUST BE the "mandrel" bends. In other words, an exhaust pipe bender that just bends the pipe will put crinkles in the pipe and create a huge amount of back pressure and you do not want that. A mandrel bend is created by drawing the pipe around a mandrel that is inside the pipe to keep it from loosing it's shape.
Also remember your trucks WARRANTY. In these tough economical times you can bet that ALL car manufacturers will be looking to VOID a warranty if they can because of "non-authorized" modifications.
I am towing a 34ftr with ease and sure do not need any more horsepower so I won't even add a power chip to mine.

I am using the Duraflaps on my 2007 Chevy Duramax. I bought the longest ones they make and they hang within 4 inches of the ground. I also bought the wider set. I like the Duraflaps as there is NO DRILLING required. I have one of the very first sets they made for the new body style. They fit like a glove and are solid and have stopped all the rocks so far.

This summer I want to build a set of stinger mounted flaps but that will be down on my list. My plan is using a pair of "anti-sail" semi flaps and a mounting bar that will be built just for my truck and then I will be able to make the cuts needed for the exhaust. And the only reason for me to have a set is for a "wished for trip back to Alaska and the Yukon Territory" where I lived for over 22 years.
The reason I will build my own is when I was looking at the Enkay system they did not build a set that will fit on the 2.5" stinger or the receiver. So I would have to use a 2" stinger and the adapter that came with my truck. As I do not like "extra" play in my hitch system, I don't like the adapter & 2" stinger. But that is just me.
1991 34' 60th Aniversary Limited Edition #008
2007 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison
One big parade float & a 40' Wells Cargo 5th wheel trlr.

"Wake each morning & Smile at the GREAT DAY you about to experience"

www.catson4ponds.com
catson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I use Enkay mud flaps with a Duramax 07-08. I took a straight edge and placed it on the outside of the exhaust venturi inline with the flow and made an outline of the flare as it touches the mud flap. Cut the outline out with a sabre saw. I have now traveled 8,000+ miles whith no evidence of burning or scorching and no new dings on the rock guards.
Gus
"Space A"
Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
SteveH - not sure you're right about them not protecting the trailer ... that clearly is true when looking at e.g. the little bitty factory-type mudflaps. But not so clear tht this is true with something longer and wider ... especially when considering the extra long Duraflaps. I haven't taken measurements yet, but they sound and appear pretty good.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
catson4 - yes, like you, I want to build my own, though I use a 2" stinger and don't worry about the little bit of play in the stinger / coupler / adapter interface ... and I've got a choice between a) a set of semi tractor rear flaps I got from a local "semi store" and b) some real heavy duty cloth reinforced conveyor belt material to make them out of, and some square steel tube suitable for supporting the flaps once they're cut to size ... we're thinking exactly alike on this ... but I may have to try the Duraflaps as an interim measure; they may work for less-than-interplanetary missions. And if I had Duraflaps AND a stinger-mounted big set of flaps (even with a big hole), I bet that I'd be set for all those dirt / gravel roads I favor (like the one I live on!).

guskmg - the Enkay people told me that some folks had done just what you did with the new Duramax exhaust, just as catson4 is planning - but I hate to cut holes in what's supposed to be solid ... I am encouraged by your "no scorching" experience. Got any pix?

p.s. isn't this a great truck? I wanted to buy a Ford PSD until I discovered that they now make it too tall to go through my standard-height garage door ... os bought the GMC. But except for this exhaust issue, it seems like a terriific tow vehicle.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post
SteveH - not sure you're right about them not protecting the trailer ... that clearly is true when looking at e.g. the little bitty factory-type mudflaps. But not so clear tht this is true with something longer and wider ... especially when considering the extra long Duraflaps. I haven't taken measurements yet, but they sound and appear pretty good.
You don't have to take my word for it, just do the measurement as I say....use a straight edge from the bottom of the tire to the bottom of the flap and see where it projects. Above that line is what will be protected from flying rocks. The farther back you move the flaps, the more the trailer will be protected.

Been there, done that.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:17 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Geneseo , New York
Cool

I purchased a '08 Duramax in the fall of '07, already owned the Enkay flaps, which I liked very much. I located the area of the flap the exhaust was centered on, then took an 18" square piece of aluminum and mounted it to the flap, centered to that area. I used 3/16" bolts with a 3/8" space between the flap and the aluminum square to avoid direct contact of the two. . . painted it flat black [heat resistant spray paint], and it works great. Towed the AS to Wyoming [Beartooth Mtns.] and back last summer without any heat issue, and the trailer remained protected. Sure works for me!

Hensley/BrakeSmart/EnKay
wrepete is offline   Reply With Quote