Old 11-14-2007, 08:04 PM   #113
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Get that Tundra fixed!

[QUOTE=SRW]

"I get 19 mph nontowing and 11 towing.

"Since this was to be my only vehicle, it was a considered decision (right or wrong) to get the Tundra."

You'd better get that Tundra checked out. Mine gets well over 80 mph nontowing and 65 towing.

Gene

Old 11-14-2007, 08:44 PM   #114
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
[quote=CrawfordGene]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW

"I get 19 mph nontowing and 11 towing.

"Since this was to be my only vehicle, it was a considered decision (right or wrong) to get the Tundra."

You'd better get that Tundra checked out. Mine gets well over 80 mph nontowing and 65 towing.

Gene

Gene: You are right!

Should have been: 19 mpg and 11 mpg. What can I say.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:52 PM   #115
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Fuel Milage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Obviously this performance does not compare at all well to a turbodiesel (but, what does), on the other hand, the numbers are not bad vs. a Vortec 8.1, and I get 19 mph nontowing and 11 towing.

I would like to know what you tow with, and when you are towing do you "know it's back there"?
With my F-250 Diesel that is not broken in yet....
18 MPG non-towing with a range of around 600 miles
14 MPG towing a 9,000lb trailer with a range of around 400 miles.

Towing east of the Rcokies. No I don't know its there. I have to look in the mirrows. In the rockies yes I know it is there but I am no longer following the trucks up the hills I am passing them.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:59 PM   #116
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
overland Park , Kansas
I have a 5.7 toyota tundra and tow a 25 FB. We have 16,000 miles on it, 12,000 towing. We towed coast to coast. We travelled through the rockies and the appalachians over several 7% grades and the truck pulled them all. We travel "heavy" with a lot of stuff and a large dog. The truck gets 11 to 12 mpg towing and 17 to 18 solo. We love the truck and feel that it is a good match to our 25 trailer. Good luck and happy towing.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:04 PM   #117
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
I just checked the mileage of my '05 F250 CC LB PS 4x2 towing our 27' FB from Illinois to Arkansas & back using trip computer.

14.9 mpg. I tried to keep it at 65MPH as much as possible.

Non-towing, I get 19.5 on the interstate @ 65MPH.

Truck just turned over 40K miles.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:18 AM   #118
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Bolton
I have a 5.7 toyota tundra and tow a 25 FB. We have 16,000 miles on it, 12,000 towing. We towed coast to coast. We travelled through the rockies and the appalachians over several 7% grades and the truck pulled them all. We travel "heavy" with a lot of stuff and a large dog. The truck gets 11 to 12 mpg towing and 17 to 18 solo. We love the truck and feel that it is a good match to our 25 trailer. Good luck and happy towing.
Great to hear about your Tundra towing experience. We will probably go to Bozeman this summer, and I am looking forward to a similar experience towing through the mountains.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #119
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Tundra Safest

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety today says the Tundra is the only pickup to ever get the best safety rating. Since recent reports of camshaft and 4WD problems as well as tailgates falling apart are disconcerting to we Toyota owners, it's nice to get good news. I buy Toyotas primarily because I don't want any repair issues, so that recent news is troubling. Mine has no problems at 2,500 miles. At least I'll be safe when the camshaft comes through the hood, transfer case crashes to the pavement and the tailgate flies off into the A/S panoramic window. Toyota generally still rated high by Consumer Reports, only behind Subaru and Honda. Neither of them makes a real truck (The Ridgeline doesn't seem to be a true pickup, though I'm sure it's fine for lowing smaller Airstreams), so for me the Tundra is the best alternative.

On 2 tanks of gas while towing, 11.5 mpg, all at high altitude. Without towing it has been running about 17.5-18.5 (better than my '02 with a much smaller V8 and less weight). I can beat anything up the Colorado passes, but it costs too much gas and I have to control myself. I also don't like hearing the engine at 4 K rpm. I installed a K&N air filter because the one in the 4Runner increased mileage perhaps close to .4 mpg (hard to judge exactly). I figure it's paid for itself already.

Gene
Old 12-31-2007, 12:01 PM   #120
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Another interesting tidbit for those looking at new trucks;

YouTube - Silverado vs. Tundra Twist Ditch

Bill
Old 12-31-2007, 03:18 PM   #121
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Tundra is not the safest pickup according the NHSTA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety today says the Tundra is the only pickup to ever get the best safety rating.
The new GM pickups have not been tested by this privately owned testing company. The NHTSA has tested all of the new big pickups, and the Toyota performed the worst. All of the big threes full size pickups scored 5 stars on driver and passenger safety for front and side impact crashes, while the Toyota only scored 4 stars for both.

http://www.safercar.gov/Index2.cfm?S...PU&myYear=2008
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:39 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , AZ to Maine
Toyota Diesel

I am waiting for a diesel from Honda or Toyota.
American car companies appear to be at a genetic dead end.
Just came back from the GMC dealer; looking forward to when the Sierra dies and I can justify a new vehicle, anything but GMC.

R
Old 12-31-2007, 05:36 PM   #123
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
Two Cents on Towing vehicles

Hi OutThere!

For my two cents, here is a thread that might help. It is long, but I started it out with some spreadsheets on towing capacity. It really daylights the characteristics of the Tundra and the Chevy 3/4. I tow a 25ft Safari, and it makes a BIIIIGGG difference to have the capacity of the 3/4 ton in the Rockies, especially at elevation! Also, I don't have to worry about tongue weight overdoing the hitch capacity.

Read Towing Vehicles: smiting by the numbers.
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:12 PM   #124
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
[quote=fastrob]American car companies appear to be at a genetic dead end./quote]

Rob, with all due respect....what the heck does that mean???

Bill
Old 01-01-2008, 07:02 AM   #125
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I am highly suspicious of that video. It appears they are giving the Toyota gas then backing off. Not giving the rear the proper signals to lock up. The rear end in my truck will not lock up if you fdo that you have to keep constant rpm or it will just not work.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 06:48 PM   #126
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Presque Isle , Michigan
Made some decisions but....

Well, I thought I'd check in and let you know what I've decided to go with. First, with the AS. We've decided on a 25 foot Safari with the twin bed option. It has panoramic windows in the front and back (a must for my wife) and a few other options. Both my wife and I feel like its perfect for us. From a TV perspective, we've looked at and driven the Toyota as well as the Ford F250 4X4 diesel, Chevy 2500 4x4 diesel and Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel. All in the "standard/short" bed (not long bed). They are all good trucks but we really like the Dodge in "Inferno Red". I really liked the power of the diesel and my wife was surprised at how quiet it was and it didn't seem to smell. The ride was not bad either. So....thats the good news. Now...although we are both chomping at the bit to get out there we have to get our house sold first. We've got the house on the market and once it sells we'll make the move on the AS and TV. Hopefully that will happen sooner then later but with the housing market like it is who knows. Anyway, I really appreciate all the help and advise. This forum has helped me more then anything else in making these decisions. Now...does anyone know of a good "how to sell the house quick forum?".....just kidding on that!