Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #181
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
...you can tow both the AS and the tow vehicle, but any opinions on using an HAH at an angle of about 15 degrees?...
given my rig is 57 ft +, i'd never let a wrecker drag them this way, it's just tooooo much length.

but with a SHORTER combo the haha should be fine...

provided the w/d bars are backed off to near zero tension,

as should be done with ANY w/d hitch used while the truck is nose up in the wind...

of course the sway control on the haha is unaffected by w/d,

so IF your sway only works with adequate w/d tension...

OR is the trailer tongue weight OVERLOADS the tv rear axle/tires when w/d is relaxed...

that's just two more reasons to disengage and try another wrecker/towing arrangement...

cheers
2air'

yet another issue is blinkers/flashers lights on the trailer while in tow....

IF the wrecker/tow truck cannot have flashers, or brake lights or directional signals operable on the trailer...

they may not tow ya', especially in the dark and depending on state regulations...

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #182
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
For what it's worth…

We have about 10-15 inches of hard packed wind driven snow on the ground and my driveway had gotten pretty bad and real slick. A friend came part way up in his 4wd Tacoma with all season (i.e., useless) tires and drove off the driveway into the hard pack. I hooked a tow chain to my 5.7L Tundra and basically dragged him in Low Range 1st a hundred yards until he could steer his way onto the driveway. It was like he wasn't there. More fun than towing a trailer because I got to insult his truck (he's a good friend). I was impressed with the capability of the Tundra especially given how slick the snow was.

I don't understand how Rosie feels her Tundra isn't up to mountain towing. I haven't had a a problem and get 11.5 mpg towing (less over the 10-12,000' passes). Her Crewmax is probably heavier than my Doublecab but I wouldn't think it would make that much difference.

I just got in from using the snowblower on the driveway—4 passes at 850 feet each plus more by the house and garage—2/3 mile. I am beat.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #183
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Slick!!

Now this is slick.........

Don't park on the lakeshore when it's 15 degrees, and the wind is gusting

to 80+mph!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT00067.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	53645  
Old 02-03-2008, 08:57 PM   #184
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
We have about 10-15 inches of hard packed wind driven snow on the ground and my driveway had gotten pretty bad and real slick. A friend came part way up in his 4wd Tacoma with all season (i.e., useless) tires and drove off the driveway into the hard pack. I hooked a tow chain to my 5.7L Tundra and basically dragged him in Low Range 1st a hundred yards until he could steer his way onto the driveway. It was like he wasn't there. More fun than towing a trailer because I got to insult his truck (he's a good friend). I was impressed with the capability of the Tundra especially given how slick the snow was.

I don't understand how Rosie feels her Tundra isn't up to mountain towing. I haven't had a a problem and get 11.5 mpg towing (less over the 10-12,000' passes). Her Crewmax is probably heavier than my Doublecab but I wouldn't think it would make that much difference.

I just got in from using the snowblower on the driveway—4 passes at 850 feet each plus more by the house and garage—2/3 mile. I am beat.

Gene

Is the Tundra a 4X4?

Do you have snow tires on it?

....and I can't help but add that its not snowing in central Texas. I lived in Cleveland for about 7 years and sure don't miss the white stuff.
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:16 PM   #185
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW
Is the Tundra a 4X4?

Do you have snow tires on it?

....and I can't help but add that its not snowing in central Texas. I lived in Cleveland for about 7 years and sure don't miss the white stuff.
SRW, Yes it's a 4wd. They come with mud and snows. Another 4" last night. Driveway's a mess again; snowblower again tomorrow. I used to live in Buffalo and understand what Robert's picture means. I can remember chipping 1 1/2 inches of ice off my car in 1975 or 76 and that wasn't by the lake, but near downtown and a mile from the Niagara River.

Gene
Old 02-17-2008, 06:45 PM   #186
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
MPG up a little.

Completed another short trip towing the AS and the Tundra performed like a champ. Hey, why not the roads were flat, dry and mostly straight. Its Texas.

13 mpg towing.

We went to the Texas State Vintage Rally in Montgomery and had a great time.

There were over 80 AS incl 26 vintage.
SRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:54 AM   #187
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Donner pass baby.

For those who would argue that the Dodge with a Hemi will out pull my F-250 Turbo Diesel.... Pictures are worth a million words.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN1763.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	55620   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1764.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	55621  

Name:	DSCN1765.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	55622   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1766.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	55623  

Name:	DSCN1767.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	55624  

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #188
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
Thanks Michelle!
My early powerstroke shows me similar figures in the same location
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #189
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
For those who would argue that the Dodge with a Hemi will out pull my F-250 Turbo Diesel.... Pictures are worth a million words.
I see, just one hand on the "stick" eah Michelle
Old 03-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #190

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS
I see, just one hand on the "stick" eah Michelle
No I was hands free. I need both hands to hold the camera. I was talking on the cell phone, petting the cat and trying to re-program the GPS too.

I would have been going a little faster but the road was in such bad shape I had to slow down to dodge pot holes.

Old 03-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #191
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
I agree completely

Quote:
Michelle,

Thanks for the memory, I remember when our F250 PSD pulled us all over, up, down and level with the grunt of a locomotive....I for one, who has had the pleasure of both a 3/4 ton Hemi and 3/4 ton PSD, would never suggest the Hemi could outpull the PSD....of course I would say that the chances of getting to your destination is much higher with the Hemi...my point...it's gotta run to pull, and a lotta 6.0 PSDs haven fallen way short of being a reliable power plant.

I am really glad to see you got one of the good ones...love the instrumentation.......can you talk us through the panel...I want one!

happy motoring
time
Old 03-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #192
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Pictures tell many stories....

Quote:
No oil pressure and no oil temp on those mechanical gauges. Sure you weren't coasting downhill?

I, too, am quite envious of your gauge panel.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #193

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike T
No oil pressure and no oil temp on those mechanical gauges. Sure you weren't coasting downhill?

I, too, am quite envious of your gauge panel.
They are not hooked up yet. I am having problem finding alternative taps for the pressure and temp. I do not want to put a tee on top of the engine there is little space between the fuel filter and the oil filter.

I could hook up the pyro and possibly the trans temp. Now that it is geting warm I will have to do some work on that.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:01 PM   #194

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
Michelle,

Thanks for the memory, I remember when our F250 PSD pulled us all over, up, down and level with the grunt of a locomotive....I for one, who has had the pleasure of both a 3/4 ton Hemi and 3/4 ton PSD, would never suggest the Hemi could outpull the PSD....of course I would say that the chances of getting to your destination is much higher with the Hemi...my point...it's gotta run to pull, and a lotta 6.0 PSDs haven fallen way short of being a reliable power plant.
I have one of the last years for the 6.0. I think they got the bugs out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
I am really glad to see you got one of the good ones...love the instrumentation.......can you talk us through the panel...I want one!

happy motoring
time
from the left to right (none are hooked up yet)

Mechanical oil pressure, Mechanical oil temp (yes a bulb no wires), Mechanical trans temp, electrical pyrometer.

The pyro will probably be the first to install. I am told there is a port in the exhaust for the pyro. I will have to look and see. If not I am still debating before the turbo(more accurate measure of temp) or after (safer if the probe breaks).

Old 03-08-2008, 04:07 AM   #195
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
North Falmouth , Massachusetts
I have a 2007 Tundra Crew Max that I bought well before I bought my 27' Airstream. The Tundra handled the AS at highway speeds along coastal ME, NH, and MA but fuel consumption dropped from 16.8 mpg to 9.9 mpg and there was constant, annoying downshifting with any grade or increase in speed. We're heading to Bozeman for the 2008 International Rally in June. I will step up to a GMC 2500 diesel before that trip based on specs and what I read in this thread.
dick&claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #196
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dick and Claire,

Do you have the 4.7 or 5.7 L engine in your Tundra? I've had no such problem with my 5.7 L and a 25' FB. The 27' may weigh just enough more than the 25' to cause the transmission to shift more (I think the 4.7 L has a 5 speed; the 5.7 L has a 6 speed), but the gas mileage difference is quite a bit. I get 11.5 at much higher altitudes than you are at. I think the Crew Max almost always comes with the 5.7 L engine (they do have some 4.7 L ones), so maybe there is something out of adjustment with your truck. I think the Crew Max weighs about 100 lbs. more than my Double Cab and that may affect performance a little. The 27' weighs several hundred pounds more than the 25' (not sure how many), but even that difference shouldn't account for such a difference in performance. Other Tundra owners have also gotten around 11.5 mpg with a 25' Safari, though some have less—lead foot, stop and go traffic, too much weight in truck and trailer—could make a difference.

Have you asked the dealer to check out your truck (if you have the 5.7 L)? If you have the 4.7 L I'm not surprised—it's a much smaller engine.

Your experience makes me glad we didn't succumb to the lure of the 27' FB. We sure liked the floor plan over the 25', but didn't want a trailer that long and heavy.

Gene
Old 03-08-2008, 08:23 AM   #197
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My 75 TW is much lighter and narrower then the current 25' or 27' models. I go up some pretty good size hills here out west and have not experienced the constant down shifting issue. I did have those issues with my 03 Tundra with the 4.7 motor.

Do you have Tow Mode engaged?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 10:44 AM   #198
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick&claire
I have a 2007 Tundra Crew Max that I bought well before I bought my 27' Airstream. The Tundra handled the AS at highway speeds along coastal ME, NH, and MA but fuel consumption dropped from 16.8 mpg to 9.9 mpg and there was constant, annoying downshifting with any grade or increase in speed. We're heading to Bozeman for the 2008 International Rally in June. I will step up to a GMC 2500 diesel before that trip based on specs and what I read in this thread.
You will be amazed at the difference...good move.

As a matter of fact, if you have any lingering doubts, I can drive over some weekend and let you hook up my 06 and lay those to rest.

What hitch are you using?

Bill

Bill
Old 03-09-2008, 07:12 AM   #199
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Thanks Gene for the comments. There is only 115-285 lbs difference in the unloaded vehicle weight between the 25FB/SS and the 27FB. My engine is the 5.7L with a towing capacity of 10,100 lbs (GVWR of the 27FB is 7600 lbs). I was towing with the Tow/Haul control turned on. If you're in Crawford, Colorado you must do a fair amount of traveling in the mountains. Are you able to climb through the passes without difficulty? That is my biggest concern in going to Bozeman. Dick
Old 03-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #200
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Thanks for the offer Bill but I'm doing my shopping and I'm already convinced. I'm using a Blue Ox weight distributing/sway limiting hitch. I had no problems with sway on Rte 495 at 65-70 mph with large trucks flying by. However, if you're going to be on the Cape give me a call and drop by (508-563-9936). Dick