Old 07-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Raleigh , North Carolina
'06 Tahoe with a 25' 1986 sovereign?

The Sovereign GVWR is 6800 pounds and the dry weight is 5300. The Tahoe is supposed to tow a max of 8000 pounds, according to Consumer Reports. It has a transmission cooler and oil cooler. We're complete beginners so we don't know whether these two will work together. There's some information on these forums that leads me to believe the Tahoe may not be up to the job although these numbers would seem to indicate otherwise. What else do I need to know to make sure?

Ahightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #2

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Well..there are people here who believe that it is "unsafe" {gasp!} to tow with anything smaller than a Mack truck....
and then there are people who believe you can tow with anything.

and then there's a bunch of people in between.

not very helpful, eh?

nevermind what "Consumer Reports" says; you have to go by your owner's manual, and how the information in there applies to your specific vehicle and its installed options. "Some" Tahoe's might be rated to tow 8K, because they have the x, y, and the z installed; yours might not.

It still could be just fine, whatever its actual "rating" is. Remember also that the max tow ratings don't allow for anything being IN the tow vehicle, other than maybe a driver and a full tank of gas; you have to subtract the weight of everything in the tow vehicle from its max rating, so as not to exceed the gross combined vehicle weight. (total weight of the tow vehicle + trailer + contents of both).

Wbcci: 3752
'73 Safari 23'
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If you PM me your vehicle identification number, I can pull the build sheet and let you know what your specs are. Even if you are rated to 8000 lbs, you still have a short wheel base for a 25'er. I would definitely consider a Hensley or Propride with this short a wheel base. (first time ya'll heard that from me, eh?)
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We used to pull our 2005 Safari 25BR (7400#) with our 2004 Tahoe (5.3 liter/3.73 rear). It did OK. We did not feel endangered or anything, but it labored on significant grades. We did not experience any sway problems, but we towed with a Hensley Arrow.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Raleigh , North Carolina
Thanks for everyone's thoughts. If I understand correctly, without changing the hitch we will be near or at the limit of what the Tahoe will tow. We are going to continue looking for an older and/or smaller AS before I make an offer on the '86. Thanks again!
Ahightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master
On the door panel of your vehicle, there is a number for the gross combined vehicle weight rating. This is the weight of the fully loaded tow vehicle combined with the fully loaded weight of the trailer.
The tow rating is usually based on a lightly loaded tow vehicle, like one with two passengers, the family dog and a full tank of gas.
You seem to have somewhat of a margin because your trailer is lighter than the tow rating.
However, when you get loaded up with supplies and equipment for a long trip, you are going to be at or near your gcvwr. You can tell for sure if you weigh your rig fully loaded
Consider towing with empty water and holding tanks to reduce weight.
Where you tow is a factor. In the mountains, performance will be sluggish, Everywhere else, it will probably be satisfactory.
The suggestion about getting a quality hitch is a good one. Short wheelbase vehicles get pushed around by their heavy trailers.

handn is offline   Reply With Quote